Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long before delivery did you see your vin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered June 11th. No VIN in source code or in account yet and I've completed the Payment Method step on Tuesday (unsure if that slows things down, the auto text I got over the weekend says first come first served based on outstanding tasks).

Strangely enough, I checked new inventory and yesterday a car matching my exact config appeared (same cost) in my area. Would that be because of a return? Why wouldn't it have auto-matched me with that VIN instead of putting it into inventory?

From what I’ve gathered, Tesla is adding “ordered” cars into their website inventory prior to the cars even being produced. Ordered Black/black P3D no FSD in April and got a VIN on 6/10. Still no delivery date, and they can’t even tell me where my car is in the process.

It’s somewhat deceptive that they’re showing car availability in cities that do not physically have the cars on hand. Best guess, the ones with odometer readings are physically there, the ones without are still in production to be shipped to that location.

Reactions: SlimJim
And they say to browse existing inventory for quicker delivery. Regular order is 1-2 weeks and inventory order is no quicker.

Yeah, I’ve called them twice in the last two weeks for “inventory” cars with my exact specs, only to have them tell me that those cars are not available. It almost seems like borderline false advertising to suggest that a vehicle is at a location when it is most definitely not.

I’m still excited for my car, but you’d think they would have a better system for tracking. It looks like the model Y people have gotten all sorts of text communication about their upcoming deliveries. Who knows?

Yeah, I’ve called them twice in the last two weeks for “inventory” cars with my exact specs, only to have them tell me that those cars are not available. It almost seems like borderline false advertising to suggest that a vehicle is at a location when it is most definitely not.

I’m still excited for my car, but you’d think they would have a better system for tracking. It looks like the model Y people have gotten all sorts of text communication about their upcoming deliveries. Who knows?

I run a manufacturing company where we have stock items in inventory. Tesla’s “existing inventory” lingo isn’t what the conventional use is and makes little sense to anyone. Should be changed.

So mine is kind of weird. Ordered on 6/15. Performance white on white FSD and got a vin the very next day. I was told the build date was 6/7. Do you think there is a chance that this is a car someone refused on deliery or does the process just work this way sometimes.

VIN number issuance process solved:

Tesla Fulfillment Device.jpg

I ordered "from inventory" on 2020-06-16. nothing yet, except for a text saying "we see you don't plan to take delivery in june". umm, what? I'll take delivery as soon as you can deliver it! excited for the addition of wireless charging, hoping I can get delivery in time for the year of supercharging special.