Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long Did it Take your MS to Go from "Sourcing Parts" to "In Production"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice build BTW. Almost the same as mine!

- - - Updated - - -

@bareyb I don't mind them getting the car out for the quarter if it helps them. I can't wait for the car. As long as they don't cut any corners with the quality of my car. I will wait for quality.
Same here. I'd love to get it sooner, but I won't be heart broken if mine comes in October... There's always a silver lining.

Holy CRAP! I checked the HTML email I got when I confirmed, and it says "In Production"!!! The website of course, says different... Which one should I believe??? Anyway, I just emailed them and we'll see. Maybe they are trying to crank mine out for the end of the Quarter too. Oh man... the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. :D :D :D

I suspect the initial email after you confirm always says "in production" (mine did too), but the *stage* of production for a number of weeks is "sourcing parts" (shown in your dashboard). My dashboard just switched from "sourcing" to "building" after 17 days, though I haven't received an email about this yet. I only noticed due to my obsessive browser refresh behavior :)

I suspect the initial email after you confirm always says "in production" (mine did too), but the *stage* of production for a number of weeks is "sourcing parts" (shown in your dashboard). My dashboard just switched from "sourcing" to "building" after 17 days, though I haven't received an email about this yet. I only noticed due to my obsessive browser refresh behavior :)

Yes, my initial email after confirmation said "IN PRODUCTION" as well. However, my dashboard still said "Sourcing parts" for some time after that. About two weeks later, I received another Tesla email which said:

Your Model S is almost ready!

Congratulations on purchasing a Model S! Your car is currently in production and will soon be ready for pick up at your nearest service center.

However, even after receiving this email, my dashboard still said "Sourcing parts" for another 1-2 days. The only change was that my delivery date went from "September" to
"September 27." I checked with my DS about this. He told me that the website often lags behind actual status and that the email that I received was a more accurate representation of the current status. Hoping that I will receive some sort of "Production Complete" email early next week.

Yes, my initial email after confirmation said "IN PRODUCTION" as well. However, my dashboard still said "Sourcing parts" for some time after that. About two weeks later, I received another Tesla email which said:

Your Model S is almost ready!

Congratulations on purchasing a Model S! Your car is currently in production and will soon be ready for pick up at your nearest service center.

However, even after receiving this email, my dashboard still said "Sourcing parts" for another 1-2 days. The only change was that my delivery date went from "September" to
"September 27." I checked with my DS about this. He told me that the website often lags behind actual status and that the email that I received was a more accurate representation of the current status. Hoping that I will receive some sort of "Production Complete" email early next week.

I have never received any emails--just look at My Dashboard. Weird.

Anyways, ours should be wrapping up early next week I hope!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the most important thing to beware of is that waiting for the car will FEEL like an eternity. :wink: The forums helped me pass the time, but they also fed my obsession.

I have a complete timeline in my signature below, partly determined from obsessive refreshing of my dashboard multiple times per day. It took ~39 days from order confirmation (7/29) to delivery (9/6) of my P85, and to answer the original question, ~21 days from "sourcing parts" (7/30) to "in production" (8/20). The one caveat is that a number of people have said the "my dashboard" page isn't always accurate, but I do think mine was pretty close.

As for communication: My DS reached out via email once right away, then by phone a week later when he thought my car would be delayed. Then I heard nothing till after the dashboard had said "in production" for a week, and that was in response to an email I sent asking what was going on. After that, communication was great and quite frequent.

It sounds like some of the most recent orders are going even faster than mine did. Perhaps that's due in part to an end-of-quarter push, and perhaps due to successful retooling of the factory after they changed options and pricing in early August. And it definitely varies by where you live -- my car had to cross the country before I could pick it up in Rockville MD; that added about a week to my timeline.

I confirmed on August 31st. Went into "Factory building" status today, September 18th. Delivery is September 28th and DS thinks it will be then, or possibly early.

Thus far, exactly as expected. Stoked.

Feels about right--I confirmed about a week before you and my car is now coming on Aug 21. As Texex says, the dashboard does not seem particularly accurate, my car has generally been ahead of what it said.