Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long did you wait?

How long did you wait for your M3?

• Less than 2 weeks

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • 2-4 weeks

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • 4-6 weeks

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • 6-8 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8-10 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-12 weeks

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I'm curious about wait time, I know past wait times aren't directly indicative of future wait times but it would be interesting to see. I know about the Order Tracking spreadsheet but those things are difficult to use, perhaps I'm dumber than most:D.

So, how long did you wait?

Mine was just over two weeks -- about 16 days, IIRC. I ordered in mid-March of this year and got it on March 30, as part of the end-of-quarter rush of deliveries. This time included a change in configuration -- I'd ordered a mid-range, but that configuration was discontinued two days after I ordered it, so I upgraded to an LR RWD (which has now also been discontinued, but not before I got mine).

I don't know if it's still true, but as of earlier this year, Tesla deliveries were more likely near the end of the quarter, which makes for some weird variations in delivery times. The reason was that Tesla would dedicate production to vehicles destined for Europe and China early in the quarter, then shift to production destined for the eastern US and Canada, then work their way westward, closer to the Fremont factory. This way, the bulk of what they produce in a quarter is sold in that same quarter, and usually late in the quarter, given the shipping times. This is apparently good for Tesla's quarterly accounting (I'm not an expert on this subject, though).

Of course, if Tesla happens to have what you want in stock nearby, you can get your car very quickly, much as at other automakers' dealerships. I get the impression that Tesla wants to build up a bigger stock of inventory to make this more the norm, vs. "custom" builds (even though they aren't really all that custom, although it looks that way from the way the Web site is configured). If they've made much progress on that in the last half year, then the preceding description of delivery timing may no longer be valid.

yikes sorry to hear that! anything overly complicated about your order, or just standard fare? (not that there are many options ;) )
Not really. White on white. 18 aero. FSD. Issue is that they focused on overseas shipments and neglected the folks here. Their quarter end is 9/30 so I expect this to be cleared up soon. My issue is they claimed two weeks for delivery, when they knew that wasn't remotely possible. If they had said 8 weeks and delivered early, great! But they over promised and under delivered, souring what should be a great experience.

Reactions: Stomsf
Still waiting. 5 weeks and counting without a VIN assigned. White on white performance 3 located in Southern California.

I made it pretty clear to the Tesla sales team that I got rear ended in July and my car got totaled and that a two week wait wouldn’t be too bad. They assured me that I’d have the car within two weeks and hopefully even sooner... which obviously did not happen.

I feel like they were just telling me that to get my order in because since then I have learned a lot more about the factory swapping between domestic and overseas orders, with the domestic orders being fulfilled for the EOQ push, which they are well aware of but did not take into account when giving me an estimate. This was even with them knowing upfront that my order was not in inventory and would have to be a new build.

Ah, the good ol days..

Reserved 3/31/2016
Ordered 6/24/2018
Received 9/24/2018

So about 2 years and six months...

And it took a week to get the phone working as a key and I waited 6-8 weeks before my first wireless update.