Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long Till Solar Powered Car?

How long to solar charging cars?

• 2 Years

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • 6 Years

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • 8 Years

Votes: 34 16.2%
  • Never

Votes: 155 73.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still think a self-contained solar EV could make sense in the developing world where grid access is sporadic, not ubiquitous, etc. Particularly on islands.

Yes.... but like this...

EV-ARC-Chevy-Volt-Envision-Solar-solar-car.png

.... NOT like this....

C-MAX-640x353.jpg

Reactions: Cebe and int32_t
Yes.... but like this...

View attachment 110502

.... NOT like this....

View attachment 110503

Exactly. There's no reason you couldn't deploy an array the size of the one in that top picture directly from the vehicle. It's not here yet, but certainly a 3-4kW flexible thin film canopy array would work for my 2022 Jeep Wrangler EV. Just need Elon to design........

Volvo canopy: I don't remember seeing that before. Pretty, but of questionable value since it looks like it would take six parking stalls in a parking lot. I've seen people struggle to fold up those sunshades for the windshield before. How many people could actually fold this properly instead of just wadding it into a little ball? :)

Been there, done that. The solar panels on my A8's moon roof are nearly 20 years old and are still going strong.

What do they do? Run the HVAC blower motor all summer long to keep the interior of a closed car at ambient temp. Even though the leather is nearly black, I've never burned my thighs.

Great use of what little solar power is available, and totally stealth.

Been there, done that. The solar panels on my A8's moon roof are nearly 20 years old and are still going strong.

What do they do? Run the HVAC blower motor all summer long to keep the interior of a closed car at ambient temp. Even though the leather is nearly black, I've never burned my thighs.

Great use of what little solar power is available, and totally stealth.

That's the irony here... solar panels make more sense on an ICE than they do on an EV...

Solar panels on cars makes sense to me for EV's, they already carry the weight of the battery and inverters, the solar panels themselves aren't heavy. Free added charging sounds like a benefit that outweighs the downsides. It can charge when you're not driving as well. I'll take the free 50 miles / day and charge the rest at home.

You can get sunlight INSIDE via solutions like Parans, which collects sunlight, and brings it inside via glass fiber. I'm curious if this could be used to bundle sunlight for a more efficient output into your parking garage.

When the solar panels get to the stage where they can use all solar radiation (not just direct sunlight), they'll be usable during the night as well (yes: this is a thing)

When the solar panels get to the stage where they can use all solar radiation (not just direct sunlight), they'll be usable during the night as well (yes: this is a thing)
Now that deserves its own thread and begins to make nuclear, coal, and natural gas obsolete. :) Of course that's a whole lot of panel installations needed (and I wonder what the efficiency will be).

Ok why don't we do the math on this one? The amount of power hitting the ground from the sun is at best 1120 w/m2. How much surface area does a Model S have? Lets assume the car was a perfect flat square. Such a car would have a surface area of 9,77 m2.

Now assume that our magical technology weighs almost so we can maintain the 200 wh/km efficiency of the car.

So 1 hour of magical solar-panel would deliver 9,77 m2 * 1120 w/m2 * 1 hour = 10,942 kWh assuming we have a 100% charge efficiency which is enough for 54 km's driving.

Not bad for such a small area but in the real world we would never see that.

First of all the car is not square and nobody would want to give up the pano roof. So let's scale the area back to let's say a generous 50% of the car. That gives us 4,89 m2 of area.

Now using the Shockley-Queisser limit we have an upper limit of about 33,7% efficiency (with infinite layers we could go to 86% but infinite layers would have infinite weight). Let's keep assuming 100% charging efficiency.

So let's run the math again:

(4,89 m2 * (1120 w/m2 * 0,337) * 1 hour) = 1,8 kWh = 9 km's of driving.

Still impressive but not as practical and this example assumes that:

1. Car is charging at 100% efficiency
2. The solar panels does not add weight and impact the driving efficiency
3. Solar panels are advanced well beyond what we can do today. (hence "magic" technology)
4. No clouds, you're on the equator

In short my conclusion is that it's probably not going to happen. Much better to stack huge farms of panels and batteries and transmit power to where it's needed.

First of all the car is not square and nobody would want to give up the pano roof.

Inaccurate premise. I'd give up the pano roof in a second for a functioning solar panel. A solar panel actually provides function, and, would not weigh any more than a pano roof, maybe less. When open, a pano roof increases drag and makes the vehicle less efficient. Also from increased cooling loads in the hot summer when the sun is overhead.

The solar panels does not add weight and impact the driving efficiency

They won't. See above.

In short my conclusion is that it's probably not going to happen.

I'd agree probably not, though I'd like the option.

Much better to stack huge farms of panels and batteries and transmit power to where it's needed.

The power is needed in the car, possibly when parked for extended periods and not plugged in. On board solar takes care of any vampire drain, plus gives you a few miles of free driving every day. I'll take that.

Reactions: int32_t
Ok why don't we do the math on this one? The amount of power hitting the ground from the sun is at best 1120 w/m2. How much surface area does a Model S have? Lets assume the car was a perfect flat square. Such a car would have a surface area of 9,77 m2.

What is the upward-facing two dimensional surface area of a peacock?

Is it this?

Peacock_Walking_600.jpg

Or this?

peacock-2.jpg

I can see a thin-film solar roof with integrated front/rear solar shades the drive pulls down when they park. Even at ~14% efficiency, that should net ~2-5kWh/day in socal on a model S sized car. They would add a negligible amount of weight, ~6-20+ miles of range/day, and keep the AC load down in the summer.

I can see a thin-film solar roof with integrated front/rear solar shades the drive pulls down when they park. Even at ~14% efficiency, that should net ~2-5kWh/day in socal on a model S sized car. They would add a negligible amount of weight, ~6-20+ miles of range/day, and keep the AC load down in the summer.

I don't want to park my car in the hot UV damaging sun all day every day.

It's interesting that we can so easily get lost in a type of technology, instead of simply asking; How do we get the job done? The job is 40% done!

From what I have seen of the statistics from the Center for Sustainable Energy, about 40% of Tesla owners have already deployed solar panels to offset their energy use. So to answer the question -
How Long Till Solar Powered Car? Literally right now, if you are technology agnostic. To answer the actual question of cars powered by embedded panels, I would reframe it to:

When will the ~60% of Teslas now, not using solar panels installed by owners, be powered by the sun from a self generation option.

Reactions: Red Sage