Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long Till Solar Powered Car?

How long to solar charging cars?

• 2 Years

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • 6 Years

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • 8 Years

Votes: 34 16.2%
  • Never

Votes: 155 73.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well... let's use Elons 'first principles' approach... the surface area of that car is ~5 square meters... the concentration of solar energy is ~1kW/square meter. So the most power you can harvest (for the few hours the sun is directly overhead) is ~5kW... if your solar panels are an impossibly efficient 100%. Premium commercial cells are typically ~20% efficient, experimental cells are <45% efficient and there's likely a theoretical barrier that will prevent efficiencies higher that ~50%.

So... best case anytime soon is maaaaybe 1.5kW of solar... even if you were able to double the efficiency of a Model S... that's ~60 miles/day even on the sunniest day. The only real way to get a solar powered car isn't better solar or better EVs.... it's to move the Earth closer to the sun. Solar panels belong on buildings... not cars.

What he said!

This. Don't worry about solar powered cars at all, it's a waste of time thinking about it.

Disagree. That's far too absolute a statement.

Certainly with today's level of technology/cost/mass its a silly idea to consider a solar car, but as solar technology improves so will EV efficiency, and its conceivable one could end up being able to harvest 50 miles or more a day. That's a MASSIVE win and for many people will easily cover a daily commute. It would also relieve congestion at charging facilities as well as reduce overall load on infrastructure.

On top of that one of, if not THE major EV cost and production drivers for the foreseeable future will be batteries. If cars end up staying in the 50-100kwh range, solar could offset upwards of 5-10% of that capacity. That's potentially a very significant number.

Somewhat related, paralleling the concept of the internet of things, I think we're going to see 'microgenerators of things' as time goes on.

Well... let's use Elons 'first principles' approach... the surface area of that car is ~5 square meters... the concentration of solar energy is ~1kW/square meter. So the most power you can harvest (for the few hours the sun is directly overhead) is ~5kW... if your solar panels are an impossibly efficient 100%. Premium commercial cells are typically ~20% efficient, experimental cells are <45% efficient and there's likely a theoretical barrier that will prevent efficiencies higher that ~50%.

So... best case anytime soon is maaaaybe 1.5kW of solar... even if you were able to double the efficiency of a Model S... that's ~60 miles/day even on the sunniest day.

And the "average" American drives 30 miles a day. The average European even less. Seems a car which can handle the average daily drive without plugging-in at all might have some value.

For commuter cars it makes no sense to cram solar into the equation when there's dozens of easier ways to get solar into your "tank".

However I'm anxiously awaiting the pure Ev Jeep Wrangler with deployable flexible thin-film array. Perhaps a 50ft long my 5ft wide "sheet" that's stored rolled up in the tub somewhere. 10-15 years out I'd imagine, and Jeep(Fiat) will likely not be the one to do it since they gave up on the Wrangler in 2006.

Disagree. That's far too absolute a statement.

Certainly with today's level of technology/cost/mass its a silly idea to consider a solar car, but as solar technology improves so will EV efficiency, and its conceivable one could end up being able to harvest 50 miles or more a day. That's a MASSIVE win and for many people will easily cover a daily commute. It would also relieve congestion at charging facilities as well as reduce overall load on infrastructure.

On top of that one of, if not THE major EV cost and production drivers for the foreseeable future will be batteries. If cars end up staying in the 50-100kwh range, solar could offset upwards of 5-10% of that capacity. That's potentially a very significant number.

Somewhat related, paralleling the concept of the internet of things, I think we're going to see 'microgenerators of things' as time goes on.

Disagree. The absolute statement was warranted. :)
How much more efficient are you going to make solar cars? The electrical systems are already pretty efficient, so the main thing you need to do is reduce the wind resistance, and that's something auto makers have been working on for decades. Sure, Tesla improved the drag coefficient somewhat, but how much farther are you going to go?
and how efficient are you going to make solar panels?
My South facing solar panels in California produced about 25kWh per day in an average month of September. I have around 36 m² facing South. You might realistically get about 2 m², so about 1.4 kWh/day with today's technology. For comparison, the Fisker Karma panel was about 0.5 kWh/day best case. Now let's assume that your panels of the future are 50% more efficient and that your car of the future only needs 250 Wh/mile. So you get 2.1 kWh or 8.4 miles. Your high efficiency panels will probably cost thousands of dollars. When that future with reasonably priced panels with 50% more efficiency arrives, 2 kWh of battery will probably cost < $200. Why not add a little bit more battery and use inexpensive inefficient stationary panels that face South [or the sun] all the time?

If you could make it so that your car could run directly on the sun and never need to stop for a charge on a roadtrip, that would be nice, but as someone else pointed out, that would require relocating to the sunny side of planet Mercury. and even with that order of magnitude more solar flux, you'd still struggle to drive fast if you had to drive through an atmosphere like Earth has.

Battery Electric Vehicles are great because you can move the energy capture machinery to a large stationary facility. Making energy capture machinery transportable results in compromises, whether it's turning fossil fuels into usable energy or turning photons into useful energy. and the only price paid for having the panels at the supercharger instead of on top of the car is that you need to spend 1 extra minute at the supercharger (or 10 extra minutes plugged into your garage at night).

The future will make batteries an order of magnitude cheaper. The future will not increase solar panel output by an order of magnitude nor improve BEV efficiency by an order of magnitude. Solar cells don't belong on cars nor on the roadways under cars. The drawbacks of putting them next to the cars/roadways are so much smaller than the drawbacks of putting them on cars/roadways, and I think it will always be thus.

And the "average" American drives 30 miles a day. The average European even less. Seems a car which can handle the average daily drive without plugging-in at all might have some value.

I'm not sure what the value would really be if you have to plug in on most days though.... I used really really really optimistic numbers to get to ~60 miles/day...

- 30% efficient panels (which don't exist)
- 7 hours of full sun per day (US average is ~4.5)
- 200 mpge EV

possible? Sure.... Practical? No...

Why are we limiting the solar surface area to that of the car itself? Certainly a 15x10 canopy of solar could be deployed transformer style out of the roof to act as both a sun shield and angled solar array. Would need some very light and flexible thin-film solar, but it's possible down the line. 150sqft @ say 28% efficiency positioned optimally might get you some decent charge.

Why are we limiting the solar surface area to that of the car itself? Certainly a 15x10 canopy of solar could be deployed transformer style out of the roof to act as both a sun shield and angled solar array. Would need some very light and flexible thin-film solar, but it's possible down the line. 150sqft @ say 28% efficiency positioned optimally might get you some decent charge.
By the time you do this you might as well just install fixed solar panels.
Face it. The math just doesn't work... Just like the math doesn't work for H2 vehicles.
Battery and solar panels work well.

Well, I suppose you could say that we *already* have solar powered cars.
The problem is, NASA put them on the moon and on Mars. They aren't particularly stylish, aren't all that sporty, and don't have cup holders.

-- Ardie
But they do have a backup camera.

According to wikipedia, there are triple articulated buses (Articulated bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). In Bogota, they have 82 foot long buses. If you assume the bus about 8.5' wide, that gives you 65m^2 of surface area. Assume that you have super efficient multi-junction solar panels at about 50% efficiency. Also assume that you live in a good solar area where you average about 5 hours * nominal power output without lots of tall buildings blocking the sun. If you take all of those super positive assumptions, you would average about 163 kWh of energy per day. That's a significant fraction of its operation energy.

The longest trains in America have about 7000m^2 of roof area. With similar crazy optimistic assumptions, you could produce 17,500 kWh of energy per day. The peak power output would be about 3.5MW (almost 4700hp).

Yes, agree 100%. But this question KEEPS coming up every month. People for some reason seem to think no one has thought of this idea! Why hasn't Tesla put solar on the roof??! What are they, dumb?

Listen, people, they are engineers. They already know that solar on a car is silly. People park under shade, in garages, car ports, in store parking garages. Unless you are driving, guess what? NO SUN! And when you are driving, there are buildings, shade, clouds, night. Dumb idea. It's amazing to me that we start discussing how much solar can be captured in ideal conditions by some new type of solar panel not in production.

I have solar panels. Some on my house, some on a bank near my house. I sell to the power company, and buy back cheap at night. Couldn't be a better arrangement. Tesla builds one of the biggest baddest batteries for automotive use, and it works. They have solar backed supercharging, and it works. They are building a giant factory to bring the cost of batteries down, and I bet that will work, too. And Tesla cars will continue to cost less.

Solar panels on cars are now, and always will be, a gimmick. People that buy them advertise that they do not understand physics and science. Please stop asking why we don't have them on Teslas.

+1 on the first few paragraphs. -1 on the last.

Solar panels on cars are great so long as we have 12v aux batteries. Vampire drain is enough that I use a CTEK to charge the 12v on my Leaf even with the tiny inefficient solar panel it has and enough that I'd use a CTEK even more on a Tesla with no solar panels and way more electronics / vampire drain.

Put enough panels to offset the center stack being always on during the day and sleeping only at night and you'd have a big improvement over the

12v battery died 250 miles from SC making me pay for 150 mile towing
Near annual replacement of 12V battery is typical according to Tesla Service Tech

issues.

I have no illusion that solar panels on the car will ever increase my range in a meaningful way so I chose Never in the poll. I do however expect that they can negate vampire drain to some extent and save us from having to replace 12v batteries as often.

According to wikipedia, there are triple articulated buses (Articulated bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). In Bogota, they have 82 foot long buses. If you assume the bus about 8.5' wide, that gives you 65m^2 of surface area. Assume that you have super efficient multi-junction solar panels at about 50% efficiency. Also assume that you live in a good solar area where you average about 5 hours * nominal power output without lots of tall buildings blocking the sun. If you take all of those super positive assumptions, you would average about 163 kWh of energy per day. That's a significant fraction of its operation energy.

The longest trains in America have about 7000m^2 of roof area. With similar crazy optimistic assumptions, you could produce 17,500 kWh of energy per day. The peak power output would be about 3.5MW (almost 4700hp).
You'd never get 163 kwh and that would only take the bus a few blocks

By the time you do this you might as well just install fixed solar panels.
Face it. The math just doesn't work...
Why spend time doing it at all? I'm talking a push button deployed solar canopy or something at least as simple as a soft top on a Jeep Wrangler.

If the Model X can have falcon wing doors and carrying around 20 gallons of gasoline can be considered practical then I don't think it's a big stretch to say 15 years from now we have a pure EV Jeep with a simply deployed 15x10 solar canopy. Sit your Jeep under it for 4 hours at the beach and you got a huge chunk of charge. Not an every day commuting type of charge, but enough that you could stay out in the woods or on the beach for months without external fuel/charge.

I have no illusion that solar panels on the car will ever increase my range in a meaningful way so I chose Never in the poll. I do however expect that they can negate vampire drain to some extent and save us from having to replace 12v batteries as often.

This. Yes, solar panels can provide useful power to the car. Not to drive "free forever on sunlight" or give any meaningfully extended range, but still useful.

- - - Updated - - -

Except EVs charged with nuclear power.

How about EVs charged with fusion power? ;)

When will solar panels be as efficient at collecting and storing solar energy as the skin cells of a Kryptonian?
DC_-_all-star-superman.jpg

DC_-_superman-movie-sunlight.jpg