Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long until a Autopilot accident is reported and the potential public backlash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People not capable of being responsible for their own decisions should not use AP.
That is a little like saying crazy people should make sane decisions.
The question we need to ask ourselves is do we want to live in a society where bureaucrats construct for the lowest common denominator. I for one, do not and am willing to accept a little Darwinian thinning of the herd for the pleasure of being able to exercise and promote good judgement.

Anyone want to talk guns :)

I was one of the people foretelling of doom with Tesla's beta release, yet nothing. And now we have a video of Autopilot actually saving someone from what would have been a terrible accident (the Uber driver video). So while I made no promises to eat any hats or anything, if I had, I would. I am happy to admit that I was wrong.

I was one of the people foretelling of doom with Tesla's beta release, yet nothing. And now we have a video of Autopilot actually saving someone from what would have been a terrible accident (the Uber driver video). So while I made no promises to eat any hats or anything, if I had, I would. I am happy to admit that I was wrong.

So far I'm wrong too. My biggest concern was people not understanding the limitations of it, and getting in accidents. As a result Tesla would follow the advice of Lawyers and put massive limitations on it to match the limitations of other manufactures. Things like GPS fencing, timed nags, and limited turning.

It should be acknowledged that an AutoPilot crash did happen because TACC is a component of autopilot. That accident occurred in the very beginning with V6.2, and with a misunderstanding of how TACC worked. No one cared because TACC is identical to what so many other automobile manufacture has. With Auto-Steering it's not clear to a lot of people what other manufactures have. So it was inevitably going to get attention even if it wasn't that different. Sure it has less nags and has less lawyers imposed limitations, but it's technology isn't that different (aside from the mapping one but we're just in the very beginning of that).

We're not really out of the clear though. After using it for awhile I think the biggest danger isn't today, but in the 6 month range. When the system gets better and better and people start to feel safe with it. Where they feel safe to the point where they aren't paying attention at all.

At first it's a hand on the wheel (normal driving for me)
Then it's a finger (I'm at this stage right now since I like some feedback)
Then it's going to hands near the steering wheel (awkward)
Then it's going to hands somewhere else not even ready.
Then it's going to be completely detached driving. Using Cell phones, and not in a careful quick manner (what autopilot helps) but in a fully immersed way.

Other drivers don't care about our AutoPilot, and they'll still cut us off
Road debris doesn't care
Pot holes love eating cars and will love autopilot

It's not just the Tesla, but any Level II automobile.

I have no idea how many accidents the overall technology will save. Probably a ton of accidents especially rear end accidents (if you count all the cars with emergency braking or some form of it). But, it will contribute to some accidents.