Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long until Tesla Superchargers are open to use by (almost) any EV?

How long until Tesla Superchargers are open to use by any EV?

• Any day now

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • 2-5 years

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Never

Votes: 44 80.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I wanted to see where we're at right now. . .

There's a reason why new Superchargers no longer say "For Tesla Use Only" like we have seen in years passed. The new ones all now say "EV Charging Only" like in the below example (250 kW Ehrenberg, AZ). So why change the vernacular? You must think that with all automobile manufacturers going EV over the next 5-15 years, this speaks to Tesla's inevitable (and rightful) cash grab on the rest of the population to lay it on them when they need Tesla's infrastructure. It'll require an adapter (maybe they add those to the station in an unobtrusive way?). But other than that, you'd think superchargers can be used by almost any EV in some capacity. Tesla would welcome the free money, right?

View attachment 491037

With the advent of ISO 15118 (Plug & Charge/V2G) and it's eminent standardization for all EV charging infrastructure and vehicle manufacturers this will happen within the next 5 to 10 years if not sooner.

EV owners will still have multiple EV Charging provider accounts but want have to think about just like Tesla owner do now. Currently only one EV manufacture, Byton, has expressed interest in using Tesla SC network. Tesla's patents are also open and no has take advantage of that either.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
It will take a while. Tesla might sell off Supercharging network to a third party to manage and operate which might become kind of like Mobil or shell gas stations. At around that time there will need to be add CCS plug for other cars and a screen to pay with credit card or some kind of app (which will be required now in state of California). 5-10 years to have a more universal way for BEV owners to charge their cars.

It will take a while. Tesla might sell off Supercharging network to a third party to manage and operate which might become kind of like Mobil or shell gas stations. At around that time there will need to be add CCS plug for other cars and a screen to pay with credit card or some kind of app (which will be required now in state of California). 5-10 years to have a more universal way for BEV owners to charge their cars.

Not a fan of Electrify America but they say they will have plug and charge by end of 2020. No cards, no apps...kinda like Tesla. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
It isn't just about the money.
To avoid battery abuse (even fires), these high voltage & amperage chargers need to communicate with with the car ((Battery Management??) anyway, things like temperature, volt & amp ratings, % of charge.

What I think would help most are simple 120v and 240v at work places. Then just top off at SuperChargers - just enough to get to the next SuperCharger or home. You don't NEED to fully charge each time you plug-in. Just get what you actually need.

In the future the local grid may move electrons in and out as needed. Car and grid communicate. We shall see.

Very good, with the fiascos we all experienced at non-Tesla stations it is clear who will win the EV race if Tesla continues to have a reliable nationwide network and large battery capacity.

Another reason why the SC network will always remain proprietary is the rate of Tesla production, owners need to know the system is there for them, and Tesla correctly realized that this is a key factor in maintaining a competitive edge.

I am amazed at the naive reviews of all sorts of upcomning EVs, none of them talk about the paucity of Level 3 CCS and ChadeMo chargers away from the coasts.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Really appreciate the comments and perspectives!

If we talk directly about the would-be United States charger CCS build out (~90% of the “North America” market), I think dgatwood put it together the best.

Having a Canada perspective (an economy about the size of Texas) is a little misguided when talking about the vast amount of CCS charging infrastructure needing an unimaginable build-out explosion to catch Tesla across the entire continent. And even if that were to start up right this second (and, no, I don’t remember anyone pledging they would), it would still be in the face of Tesla showing no signs of stopping their build-out of Superchargers that seemingly come on-line every single day somewhere in the US.

Roger makes a great point that Superchargers can serve as just a distraction in the immediate/short – and particularly in the medium/long term. I definitely agree that I'd rather have Tesla concentrate on even better vehicles, great service, and lower prices. However, keeping their Supercharging focus is what Tesla has to do to for the foreseeable future to keep the offering appealing to first-time EV buyers (pretty much everyone) and keep the current owners (not very many, but we’re critical ambassadors) happy – right now. This is a massive advantage that every would-be EV buyer has to consider. You can BARELY make a realistic road trip coast-to-coast in every direction with a Tesla today. On a CCS “network?” Yeah – no fricken way. And absolutely not any time soon from what I can tell, at least not in the US.

Just another reason I don’t like saying “North America.” The markets are too unique to group US/Canada together. And then we tack on Mexico as an afterthought and don’t even begin to discuss the additional 20 countries that are, ya know, actually in “North America.” I digress!

So the crux of my original question remains to a certain degree. . . But I think the jury is in that very few people on this forum think the legacy manufacturers who will eventually be making EVs will ever use the Tesla Supercharger network. I’m not so sure about that though!

Last edited: