Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many kWh can they squeeze into the Model 3...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you, moving the goalposts is entirely logical as BEV technology advances. I regularly wish my P85D had at least 140kwh. Why? To deal with very cold weather, high speed travel, mountain driving and inclement weather, not to mention charging when I want to instead of when I need to.

The ideal is to have range similar to equivalently priced and equipped diesel cars.That means, for example, traveling Hamburg-Amsterdam (~300 miles) at average speed of 100mph and arrive with decent reserves. I used to make that trip regularly with a BMW 530D. The Tesla would need at least 140kwh, maybe more, to do that. Real world European driving needs MUCH more energy than does North American. Tesla must be very well aware of that need.
It's perfectly OK for electric vehicle enthusiasts to move the goalposts on their own. The idea is, after all, to improve the technology to the point where you can viably replace ICE vehicles. And, to eventually exceed all that ICE vehicles are capable of doing in a more efficient manner.

When I use the term 'move the goalposts', I am typically referring to the requirements of acceptance levied by those who are EV Naysayers. The ones who repeatedly claim that EVs are not, cannot be, and 'never will be' a viable means of transportation. They do so even in the face of evidence that they are incorrect. I figure most are members of the "Here, Hold My Beer..." contingent of society.

Because they'll say things like, "Yeah, but can you do THIS!" Then you show them an EV can do that.

So, they move the goal posts again, and say, "Yeah, but I bet it can't do THIS!" Then you show them an EV can do that too.

At this point, the only place they can move the goalposts is to a point beyond the realm of reality to absolute fringe case situations that are either entirely ridiculous or highly unlikely to be necessary. Like expecting a Model X to be bounding over whoop-de-dos, fording mighty rivers, or spelunking over boulders. Or wanting the Model S to complete the Nürburgring in under seven minutes. Or thinking the Model ☰ should have been a direct competitor to the Ford Fiesta for under $15,000 before it could be considered 'affordable'. And then claiming that unless those goals are reached, electric vehicles are (pause for trite regurgitation of non-sequitur rhetorical quip), "Not ready for prime time."

I think that Elon Musk has worked very hard to shut up those people for over ten years. Unfortunately, they just plain won't shut up. But to his credit, Elon doesn't give up in his attempts to make them all [SIERRA TANGO FOXTROT UNIFORM].

It's one thing to have a personal preference. It is another entirely to not accept factual evidence and a changing reality.

I have a Friend who has test driven the Model S, but isn't impressed. Not because of the handling, performance, or technology. He just doesn't believe the car is 'luxurious' enough for the money. So, he'll be sticking with BMW it seems. I didn't argue with him about it. Though I do have arguments -- plenty of them. I was just surprised to see he had gotten so... OLD. That happens to guys you've known over thirty years though.

Right now every Tesla has the Titanium Armor plate for the battery which covers most of the floor. Let a modified floor plate also act as a sensitive pick-up for energy transfer, traffic managment, communication and navigation. No extra sensors (cameras, Radar etc.) are needed which only adds to the cost of the vehicle.
BINGO, we get away with large, heavy and expensive batteries and (longer) charging times at SC.

And one does not have to drop in at a SC because of low SOC ...unless he or his family feels hungry.
Charging is done at home or at destination.

Full AP then becomes a reality even when GPS signals are poor, or the road markings are not visible.
Traffic jams and Accidents would be a thing of the past and or limited to areas without street-intigrated induction / HF tarmacs

If you want a video explanation as to where the Titanium Armor Plate is.....

Over in the short term investor thred, I tried to estimate the increase in volumetric energy density that the 21-70 format allows, and this is relevant here as well. To sum up, I think this is realistic:

- Battery pack with the dimensions ~162 cm x ~150 cm x ~10 cm.
- Top spec battery pack has 4320 cells and 85 kWh (~80 kWh available)
- 8 battery pack modules with the dimensions ~80 cm x ~37 cm x ~9 cm
- Each module has 540 cells, arranged in 12s45p.
- Assuming 340 Wh/kg, cell mass will be ~240 kg. Pack mass might be something like 350 kg.

Original posts, slightly rewritten:

Okay, to look a bit closer at the energy density, first, you have the increase in cell length. Tesla has already said that the height of the pack wouldn't be changed, so that's an 70 / 65 -1 = ~8% increase.

Now, the increase in area due to the increase in diameter, while assuming the metal cylinder takes 1 mm of the diameter is: (pi x 9.5^2) / (pi x 8^2) - 1 = 41% But this increase reduces the amount of cells you can fit into the pack.

A pack module is 28 cm x 66 cm, Looking at the width, you have 14 cells, and looking at the length, you have 32 cells. That's 90% of the width of the module, or 87% of the length.

Switching to 21-70s will increase the cell density, as you can probably drop a loop of cooling piping and space them better. Doing some rough calculations, you can probably fit 12 cells into the width (this allows you to reduce the amount of coolant loops from four to three) and 28 cells in the length. That's approximately 336 cells (6s56p), vs 444 (6s74p) in the 18650-based pack module. The increase in total area would be (336 / 444) x 1.41 -1 = ~7%

And the total increase in volumetric energy density would be 1.07 x 1.08 - 1 = ~15%

This means a 100 kWh Model S/X could become a 115 kWh Model S/X, a 6.4 kWh Powerwall could become a 7.4 kWh Powerwall, and a 100 kWh Powerpack could become a 115 kWh Powerpack.

Also, just to add my estimates for the Model 3. I think it's pretty clear that the modules in the Model 3 will be significantly bigger. Assuming that they go from three to four cooling loops (12 to 16 cells), the width will be around 37 cm, and the pack width will be around 148 cm.

From the launch video, it seems like the pack length (2 modules) will be only slightly greater than the pack width (4 modules), so I'm assuming 1.6 meters. The module length should then be 80 cm. That should allow for around 34 cells. So each pack module should be around 540 cells, or 12s45p.

A Model S would have 5760 cells while a Model 3 would have 4320 cells. The top spec Model 3 would be approximately 85 kWh and have an EPA range of ~310 miles.

Last edited:
The mindset of adults is hard to change, so Red Sage is right. The problem with EV adoption is not with the technology. It is with the people. Even in high-tech colleges. How many learned professors and even wealthy students at the campuses (MIT, Harvard, RPI, RIT, VA Tech, GA Tech, etc.) drive plug-in vehicles? Partly due to campus not having charging stations, they might feel compelled to stay away until they can "also charge at work" (maybe even work offers "free fuel" to them and that pushes over the edge). Also, maybe their pay scale is not up to it. But the leadership at colleges needs to be better. My alma mater is RIT in ROchester NY. The school's president owned a Gen-1 Volt in 2011 and got a Gen-2 Volt early in 2016. I've donated to the college and they installed six new public free (Chargepoint) L2 stations which get used regularly. Total charging points at RIT are over 12 now - on the way to 40 by appx 2020. That's leadership not seen at many colleges. Sure, some schools used massive ITC to install Solar PV arrays - RIT also did (2MW, but only supplies 3% of the entire school's electric needs). But are they really going to do anything valuable to lead the mindshare of the current students into a future of renewable transportation or just use fed/state tax incentives to help cut expenses through PV initiatives? RIT's solar PV is commissioned as a PPA and an outside party owns it, took the NYSERDA funds and also federal ITC and used RIT land to install it using the least expensive push-in ground-mount post system.

These efforts are NOT ENOUGH.

There need be hundreds of public charging points to "convince" the consumer that it is safe and "ok" to go electric. This means lining the highways with DCFC that all cars are capable of using. I am sure Tesla could have offered a CHAdeMO compatible feature that allows superchargers to sell kWh to non-Tesla buyers and facilitated a national plug-in network better than the DoE will in this new initiative. But now, firms like ABB and others will perform that solutioning. There are a lot of biased people out there - and fuel for their bias is sub $2.00 gasoline in some parts of the country. Economically, they don't get it. Apathy abounds - they are just trying to get by and keep living. 45% of Americans cannot even scrape together $500-1000 in emergency funds. Their paychecks are tapped out every period. The most important thing the EV community can do is educate non-EV owners.

My recommendation to Tesla is that they badge a vehicle based on the hardware that is installed in a vehicle. If a vehicle has a 75 kWh battery that is software limited to 60 kWh, the physical badging on the vehicle should reflect the 75 kWh limit. The 60 kWh software limit of the vehicle should be reflected on the vehicle’s display screen.

Also, if a vehicle has the performance hardware installed but is not software activated, the badge should reflect the vehicle has the performance hardware where again the vehicle’s display screen reflects the performance hardware is not activated.

Badging vehicles with their installed hardware with the ability to software limit the hardware to save cost would help vehicle and software update sales.

• Love
Reactions: garsh and jkk_
My recommendation to Tesla is that they badge a vehicle based on the hardware that is installed in a vehicle. If a vehicle has a 75 kWh battery that is software limited to 60 kWh, the physical badging on the vehicle should reflect the 75 kWh limit. The 60 kWh software limit of the vehicle should be reflected on the vehicle’s display screen.

Also, if a vehicle has the performance hardware installed but is not software activated, the badge should reflect the vehicle has the performance hardware where again the vehicle’s display screen reflects the performance hardware is not activated.

Badging vehicles with their installed hardware with the ability to software limit the hardware to save cost would help vehicle and software update sales.

Nah, I disagree... People use those badges for bragging rights. That's like labelling your VW Golf with a Lamborghini badge or labeling a turbocharged V6 with a V8 badge. I know these are not equivalent because the Teslas are software only changes, but cars today do use firmware changes to differentiate between performance and lesser models today. This is the reason you hear about firmware hacks for certain cars unlocking hidden horsepower gains.

In addition, personal sales might lead to people scamming other people. This might later give Tesla a bad name.

It takes only a few minutes to switch out a badge on your next service center visit. This is even greater incentive to get the upgrade at time of purchase. As far as I know the CPO sales will be rebadged and software unlocked as Elon has stated it's another way to make money in the used car market.

In addition, personal sales might lead to people scamming other people. This might later give Tesla a bad name.

This.

In MA, you can run into legal entanglements if you falsify vehicle specs on resale, even if it's a private sale. This would be akin to rolling back the odometer from a legal standpoint.

If you need your car's badge to prove your self worth, perhaps you should be looking at BMW 7-series, or any Mercedes.

Reactions: Red Sage and JeffK
While I'm still reading through this awesome thead, it'd like to mention that a 55kWh car that get a 215 mile EPA rating would be very impressive. I'd be content to hear 60kWh. But especially if 55kWh suffices, I cannot imagine it being software limited a phsical 70-75kWh. At the super low price point, can Tesla afford making so many high-end cells that are in super high demand for all their other products, or the rest of the market, and then not charge money for it? Many Model 3's will be second cars, never leaving the owner's city or county. Those owners will just drag the extra batteries around. And Tesla supplied them for free. In Model S and X it's an interesting gamble and article number reduction. In Model 3, can it afford giving away 500 or however many 2070 cells?

I do hope Tesla saw the change to make the Model 3 pack a decent volume. So it can match the Model S/X for range when using equal cell technology. Since Model S/X will soon hit 100kWh on updated 18650's, By the Model 3's cells are also put towards S/X, they're at 110kWh. A full year on though, 5% more gains are to be expected. I would not be surprised at all to see a 120kWh Model S for sale 365 days after today, as Model 3 starts rolling of the assembly line forst for non-employees. What would the Model 3 have as a max then? 100kWh seems a reasonable maximum mid-2017. At today's tech, that would "just" be 80kWh.
Reason I hope Tesla will take the opportunity to make long range 3's is because it would shock the world. While we are tlaking about 300 mile range, it could actually be 400 miles. And all it takes is Tesla thinking to make the battery casing as big as possible rather than as small as possible. A lot of it would be air for the expected 55/60kWh entry level version. But surely a pack merely just as big externally as on the S would be fit in a 3 with years off enhanced insights in EV design? Just making the pack slightly thicker could do the trick. 1-2cm thicker at the cost of head room in the cabin. Clawed back with the glass roof.
A 120kWh Model 3. Combining current Models S/X volume, announced 100kWh capacity with 18650's, the at least 10% density improvement for 2170 cells, possible other density gains from packaging/cooling, not even counting one more year of the JB mentioned 7% power density increase >>>>> at 15% lower consumption than a S70D, 110kWh would get:
110/70 * 1.15 * 240 = 433 miles.
And I honestly think this is all doable. All it takes it the 3 to get the same pack shell volume as S and X.
A single motor Model 3 with stuffed pack would be a good bit lighter than S70D. The 70 after all uses 75/90=83% of the available battery space. Model 3 being lighter also causes less heating, thus less need for a D. Saving more weight on the second motor.
Furthermore, the pack would be less metal, more acid.
With the claimed/rumored lower drag and frontal area, newly developed circuitry and motors, surely 15% lower (many expect 20%) than a very large sedan is not unreasonable. The 110kWh is what no-one will deny Model S/X will do when the 2170 cells find their way to them, at today's consumption rates.

Just imagine that, Model 3 being a 60kWh (54 effective) 215 miles (as already claimed) base car, and a 110kWh (104 effective) range monster doing, well, roughly double that. A bigger pack is stressed less, less heat build-up? More regen capability?
Who's going to diss EV's or the brand when Tesla offers a $50k 430-miler? Just after Mercedes, BMW, VW, etc, etc, proudly presented their 300 mile contenders expected to arrive in 2020?
The opportunity it too good to pass up.

And yeah, if the lab guys and gals have a good year, by the time Model 3 hits first customers, let alone showrooms for non-reservers, with an S/X sized pack, it could "pack" 115-120kWh.
Hello $50-55k 450+ mile EV!

I'm not counting on it, but I sure am hoping for something like this. With that sort of range, I could handle a non-stop round-trip to drop my kid off at college (320 mile round trip, over the Appalachian mountains, and probably in winter, and no superchargers currently available or planned).

This past summer, we went on a roadtrip from Pittsburgh to Chicago. With a 450 mile range, I could conceivably make that trip without a supercharging stop. That would be incredible. More importantly, I could stop for lunch while supercharging, and would only have to stay for 10-15 minutes since I wouldn't have to worry about making it to the next charging station. It really opens up the possibilities.

Reactions: Red Sage
While we'd all love to see a 400 mile + EV, I don't think we'll get there in the 1st Gen Model 3.

The 100 kWH pack will be making its way into the S and X any day now, and that will push the S well over 300 and bring the X right to that threshold. (Keep in mind, that's using the assumption that there haven't been any other efficiencies cooked in like improved aeros, better software, etc)

If the 3 can hold a 75 kWH pack, I think between its lighter chassis, better aeros, and the fact that the new pack will reportedly be more efficient than current-gen packs, I don't think it would be too outlandish to hear we'll be looking at a 315-320 mile car with the big pack in it. And honestly, on longer road trips in winter, I've gotten "only" 320 miles on a tank driving shall we say...spiritedly down the Jersey Turnpike, so similar range in a Tesla would be great!

Reactions: garsh and Model 3
A 75kWh maximum at launch (pack properly stuffed with 2170's) would be a let down. And a huge opportunity missed. Model 3 is good enough for taxis and company cars, a broader market openly flirted with. With a good range, it would be hard to keep lease companies from trying to buy it in masses. Since Tesla is likely getting a years long edge in cost per kWh, they can get a very good margin on extra cells sold with the cars. It's the #1 raison d'ètre for the GF1. It makes sense to try and sell as many cells as possible per car, all while getting the maximum (economical) range from every single one of them.
With the 40% densitty increase declared by JB compared to the 2012 Model S, The 75kWh Model 3 pack would be the physical size of a 53kWh (gross) in 2012. While yes, this is the wonderful world of advancing technologies, it is a terrible way to flip off a humongous market, being all the car owner they've not convinced yet that they're driving the wrong car, whichever brand and size that may be.
Until the competition starts catching up with their own 2170 or competing high-density, low-cost formats, it makes economic sense to sell as many 2170's they possibly can. Initially using ramping up production to sell as many cars as possible (I suspect), later as many cells per car as possible. For whichever reason restricted Model 3 pack sizes would restrict sales. Regardless of anyone's opinion a Model 3 even NEEDS more than 75kWh. I for one am of the opinion it would be a killer car. But Tesla would IMO have no reason to play it such.

If the 2170s also result in a LIGHTER Model S/X pack when stuffed full (120kWh by mid-2017 seems to be a consensus here), having established that their fully loaded cars have been A-OK at that weight, a new Model X/S refresh could see a further physical pack increase. Slightly different layout, slight change to chassis. Sell 100 cells more per fully loaded car, for the same weight. Take the current SP90L flagship as a starting point. Within a year it may well be lighter and standing at 120kWh, costing less than today's.
A slight refresh (or cooler: an extended version 1ft longer) could then house a 150-160kWh pack, easily. And still be witthin the price range of those currently buying these cars. BOOM, 500 mile Model S/X Limo. And obvioulsy better range than whatever top range Model 3 manages. But really, a slightly thicker floor to sink the 150kWh pack in would so the trick in a car with the same trusted S (or X) cabin.
A slight update to the interior to level with competitors, a bit of a margin hit, but boy would such a next level flagship limo sell. Which big shot doesn't want to be driven around like that?

Reactions: Red Sage
Here is an article on S-A about the upcomming batteries for TMS+X and 3. Don't worry, this one is not written by any shorts or Tesla-basher ;)
http://seekingalpha.com/article/4001134-tesla-already
Summary
  • Tesla is betting heavily on Model 3 and advanced batteries from the huge Nevada Gigafactory.
  • To date, neither Tesla or Panasonic have publicly disclosed cell chemistry with high enough specific energy for a successful Model 3.
  • A careful look at recent Tesla battery options suggests likely undisclosed chemistry improvements.
  • The battery in the rumored P100D is likely to have cell chemistry good enough to put Model 3 over the ICE-to-BEV tipping point.
  • With the 60-75kWh software upgradeable battery and P100D, Tesla will ship batteries with advanced chemistry before initial Model 3 deliveries, greatly reducing technology risk.

Model 3's success depends on high specific energy cell chemistry for a lighter battery, and through knock-on effects an even lighter car. A lighter Model 3, with careful attention to aerodynamics, needs fewer kWh, making both battery and car cost competitive. With cell chemistry in today's 75kWh Tesla battery, the long range Model 3 version will have 250+ miles of EPA range. Cell chemistry expected in the P100D will give nearly 300 miles. And, the Model 3 battery configuration allows further chemistry advances to push range higher still.

This analysis of Tesla's latest batteries shows that advanced cell chemistry sufficient for Model 3 cars is already in Tesla's 18650 cells. The coming P100D cell chemistry will reach the ICE-to-BEV tipping point and likely be shipping in Model S/X well before Model 3 deliveries.

When it comes to the critical advanced cell chemistry for Model 3, Tesla is already there.

Reactions: Cloxxki and garsh
Thanks for the great article. It didn't start off too well, seems to work from a number of assumptions, puts emphasis on chemistry for commercial success, but it did get interesting.

So, are indeed the latest 90kWh packs voltage limited? It could explain modest top end charging and good follow through, I suppose?
Many of course expected that the 90's now already ARE 100's, but how these are limited is not explored often.

The author seems quite sure of the maximum number of 21-70 cells Model 3 would receive. And how low consumption will turn out to be.

I wonder, could a phased charging of the 90kWh S/X pack make individual cells reach their mentioned maximum voltage and pack more energy?
For instance: 75kWh* 74/60 * 96/84 = 106kWh. Extrapolating the 75kWh low cell count @ 4.8V cells to a full pack.
And yet another: 100 * 96/84 = 114kWh using all 4.8V, fully packed.
For an unmentioned in the article 21-70 S/X pack, fully packed, could then be another 1.10 * 1.08 (70mm fits upright) = 19% more than numbers above. Up to 135kWh then.

I have not done sufficient research in how many cells the Model 3 will physically pack. Could Tesla have mislead us, and in fact prepare to store a really good amount of improve 21-70's in there? I don't see why they would not be able to if they so choosed.
A 53-60kWh upgradable pack size for the 257-290 mile seems optimistic, although of course I hope this is possible. It would imply Model 3 to use 30-35% less energy to drive in the same manner as Model S?
Would a 60kWh version warrant the "Ludicrous" label?

Tesla, still this year, made a point of promosing a 215 mile minimum (EPA?) range for Model 3. Would they make an even smaller pack (just not too much for 0-60 to reach 6 seconds), or limit it even more? 45kWh would suffice. Seems on the low size. But even if true, a huge missed opportunity if a Model 3 with the lower cost per kWh 21-70 cells could have gone 430 miles or so on a smalller than S/X 90kWh.

The author mention a lot the ICE-to-BEV disruption threshold (385 Wh/kg) which apparently is independant of a car's unique consumption needs. I think a 400+ mile Model 3 option, even when "charged" a high premium for, would totally disrupt the industry. The competition can surely build cars to match that, but due to their higher cost of production battery technology would never be able to do it in the Model 3 class. Likely not even in the Model S's luxury sedan market. It would need to be a limosine. Not so much to have space for the battery pack, but to have the batteries be a smaller share of the total car's cost.

I strongly feel that if Tesla made the Model 3 available with a shocking 400+ mile range, they could get enough unrefundable 5k -10k deposits from large customers as well as consumers, to warrant an accelerated GF2 build where the thing would be built from scratch. The deposits would make the funding a breeze. All it takes is an extra compelling product which others simple cannot deliver, unless they develop ttheir own GF meaning they'd accept being half a decade behind or more.

If Model 3 is so vital to Tesla, why not make it the mercy blow to the ICE market? Why keep the pack unneccesarily small, even if they do manage <200Wh/mi @ EPA?

Model 3 with 60kWh will be a heck of a car, no doubt in my mind. And it would suffice for me. But will it destroy the ICE? I'm not sure.

The article is BS. It is based on a number of shaky and/or ridiculous propositions.

1. In all probability, the 60 to 70 kWh increase in capacity was a result of an increased number of cells. The subsequent increase from 70 kWh to 75 kWh was likely due to chemistry. This is about 7%, not that dissimilar to the increase from 85 kWh to 90 kWh, which was about 6%. He argues that the weight didn't go up, so it couldn't be an increase in the number of cells, but this is impossible to determine as a result of the continual changes Tesla implements. We're only talking about an expected increase of about ~37 kg or ~80 lb. This change can be dwarfed by improvements on weight savings and other changes on various components in the car.
2. He argues that the 90 kWh only increased by a small amount while the battery is actually much bigger, because the supercharger can't charge to more than 400-415V. Well, this completely ignores the onboard charger. I think most people would be very okay with being able to charge to 105 kWh/100% at home, but only being able to charge to 90 kWh/ 86% at the superchargers. This is how Tesla would do it, if the voltage limitations were an issue at the superchargers.
3. He argues that because someone is researching electrolytes that can handle 4.6V, and up to 5V long-term, Panasonic will be able to roll out batteries that handle 4.8V *this year* and 5.0V *next year*. Grasping at straws much?

The good thing I can say about the article is that they had nice graphs and stuff. E for Effort.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Good remarks. @Yggdrasill
While there looks to be an amount of loose sand, I wish I could falsify any of it.

As Tesla prophesizes a significant average annual improvement of energy density, and I can only expec they meant for a given cell demension, there are bound to be advanced by now. The 85>90kWh upgrade which I've heard done little for actual range leaves some expected improvement untouched. In 2012 there was an 85kWh already. Where are the improvements if the 90 doesn't really convince yet?
The improved charging speed of the 90kWh of late, is that software only, or does it exclusively affect new cars?

I'd love to hear more insights on the physical Model 3 battery pack size. Could it really be as small as 2,560 * 21-70?

While I'm still reading through this awesome thead, it'd like to mention that a 55kWh car that get a 215 mile EPA rating would be very impressive. I'd be content to hear 60kWh. But especially if 55kWh suffices, I cannot imagine it being software limited a phsical 70-75kWh. At the super low price point, can Tesla afford making so many high-end cells that are in super high demand for all their other products, or the rest of the market, and then not charge money for it?
The argument for a larger battery pack that is limited to a lower amount is as follows. An actual 55 kWh battery
pack would be further software limited to a lower amount, perhaps 90% of that amount, to allow for an anti-bricking reserve space. Thus, you would only have 49.5 kWh or so to use to reach a 215 mile range. So, roughly 230 Wh per mile on average. But the EPA calculates your 'real world' range based upon the amount of electricity used to charge the car, including induction losses, not the amount of energy in the battery. Even if the car actually averaged 230 Wh per mile while in motion, they would treat it as if it used perhaps 270 Wh per mile instead. And the car would be rated at a much lower 183 mile range. Using a 75 kWh battery pack, limited to 55 kWh, you get to use the entire 55 kWh amount (and have a 20 kWh reserve), and when you calculate at the higher than actual 270 Wh per mile consumption average, you at least get to 204 miles rated range. That meets the 200 mile baseline minimum for Tesla Generation III, even if it didn't get quite 215 miles.

As for the battery cells that would be 'given away for free'. I don't believe they would be. I expect that Tesla Motors' internal cost for battery cells supplied through the Gigafactory will be much, much lower than most believe possible. There may well be an extremely slim profit margin, even for the base vehicle with no options, enough to make it worthwhile to 'give away' capacity that is left unused. Tesla Motors is likely gambling that far more people will upgrade to the higher capacity either prior to purchase or at some point during their ownership experience. I believe that gamble will pay off, if only because some people will want to have the highest capacity they can manage with rear wheel drive. That is, some people won't want to pay the amount for higher capacity combined with dual motor all wheel drive, but will find it a bargain of sorts to upgrade the base rear wheel drive motor to include an unlocked battery pack. There will be no losing version of the car for Tesla Motors at all, just much more profitable varieties, that happen to be that much more expensive.

Many Model 3's will be second cars, never leaving the owner's city or county. Those owners will just drag the extra batteries around. And Tesla supplied them for free. In Model S and X it's an interesting gamble and article number reduction. In Model 3, can it afford giving away 500 or however many 2070 cells?
I think that for many people, the Model ☰ will be their first, and only car. That is the appeal of the vehicle – it will be an electric car they can afford – without having a second car in the driveway. That was the paradigm offered by traditional automobile manufacturers – the ability to drive on electricity 'around town' and then have another 'real' car (that burns gasoline) on the road. One of the best arguments in favor of the Chevrolet VOLT was similar to that one. You could own one car that was 'the best of both worlds' (worst of both worlds, IMHO), instead of two vehicles. Sure, some may well intend for Model ☰ to be their 'second car', but they'll soon realize it was their former car that is now the backup. Until they realize they haven't driven it in six months or more. The sooner people realize such things, the more they'll be able to get for their old ICE upon being sold.

I do hope Tesla saw the change to make the Model 3 pack a decent volume. So it can match the Model S/X for range when using equal cell technology. Since Model S/X will soon hit 100kWh on updated 18650's, By the Model 3's cells are also put towards S/X, they're at 110kWh. A full year on though, 5% more gains are to be expected. I would not be surprised at all to see a 120kWh Model S for sale 365 days after today, as Model 3 starts rolling of the assembly line forst for non-employees. What would the Model 3 have as a max then? 100kWh seems a reasonable maximum mid-2017. At today's tech, that would "just" be 80kWh.
At the same given capacity the Model ☰ will have a greater range than the Tesla Model S. Do not be surprised if a version of Model ☰ exists from day one that has greater range than anything currently offered for Model S. That is, 'currently', indeed Tesla Motors could certainly release higher capacity versions of Model S that have even greater range around the time that Model ☰ is released. But make no mistake – there is no need to 'protect' sales of Model S – it will do just fine in the market, continuing to demolish sales of its direct competitors for years to come.

Reason I hope Tesla will take the opportunity to make long range 3's is because it would shock the world. While we are tlaking about 300 mile range, it could actually be 400 miles. And all it takes is Tesla thinking to make the battery casing as big as possible rather than as small as possible. A lot of it would be air for the expected 55/60kWh entry level version. But surely a pack merely just as big externally as on the S would be fit in a 3 with years off enhanced insights in EV design? Just making the pack slightly thicker could do the trick. 1-2cm thicker at the cost of head room in the cabin. Clawed back with the glass roof.
A 120kWh Model 3. Combining current Models S/X volume, announced 100kWh capacity with 18650's, the at least 10% density improvement for 2170 cells, possible other density gains from packaging/cooling, not even counting one more year of the JB mentioned 7% power density increase >>>>> at 15% lower consumption than a S70D, 110kWh would get:
110/70 * 1.15 * 240 = 433 miles.
And I honestly think this is all doable. All it takes it the 3 to get the same pack shell volume as S and X.
A single motor Model 3 with stuffed pack would be a good bit lighter than S70D. The 70 after all uses 75/90=83% of the available battery space. Model 3 being lighter also causes less heating, thus less need for a D. Saving more weight on the second motor.
Furthermore, the pack would be less metal, more acid.
With the claimed/rumored lower drag and frontal area, newly developed circuitry and motors, surely 15% lower (many expect 20%) than a very large sedan is not unreasonable. The 110kWh is what no-one will deny Model S/X will do when the 2170 cells find their way to them, at today's consumption rates.

Just imagine that, Model 3 being a 60kWh (54 effective) 215 miles (as already claimed) base car, and a 110kWh (104 effective) range monster doing, well, roughly double that. A bigger pack is stressed less, less heat build-up? More regen capability?
Who's going to diss EV's or the brand when Tesla offers a $50k 430-miler? Just after Mercedes, BMW, VW, etc, etc, proudly presented their 300 mile contenders expected to arrive in 2020?
The opportunity it too good to pass up.
By my napkin math a 135 kWh battery pack should be sufficient to get the Model ☰ to a 505-to-560 mile EPA rated range. That could be done within a volume that was lower than that of the Generation II battery packs. JB Straubel has already noted that he expects about a 40% improvement in energy density between Generation II and Generation III vehicles.

And yeah, if the lab guys and gals have a good year, by the time Model 3 hits first customers, let alone showrooms for non-reservers, with an S/X sized pack, it could "pack" 115-120kWh.
The Gigafactory will probably begin building the battery packs for the Model ☰ much sooner than that. I expect that they will need several thousand battery packs on hand well before they begin building cars. They will probably start off at a rate of around 4,000 vehicles per week. Then ramp up as quickly as possible to 8,000 per week. So, it would be very good to have perhaps three months' worth of battery packs on hand, with available capacities in the proportion of expected distribution. How quickly battery packs can be produced at Sparks and delivered to Fremont may well determine how fast the cars can be built. I think that perhaps only 20% to 30% of cars will have the highest capacity battery pack, if that is only paired with the Performance trim as I hope.

Reactions: JeffK
While we'd all love to see a 400 mile + EV, I don't think we'll get there in the 1st Gen Model 3.

The 100 kWH pack will be making its way into the S and X any day now, and that will push the S well over 300 and bring the X right to that threshold. (Keep in mind, that's using the assumption that there haven't been any other efficiencies cooked in like improved aeros, better software, etc)

If the 3 can hold a 75 kWH pack, I think between its lighter chassis, better aeros, and the fact that the new pack will reportedly be more efficient than current-gen packs, I don't think it would be too outlandish to hear we'll be looking at a 315-320 mile car with the big pack in it. And honestly, on longer road trips in winter, I've gotten "only" 320 miles on a tank driving shall we say...spiritedly down the Jersey Turnpike, so similar range in a Tesla would be great!
I expect there will be two battery packs, and three capacities offered for Model ☰.
55 kWh -- 215-to-230 mile range, software limited
75 kWh -- 275-to-295 mile range
100 kWh -- 320-to-360 mile range, Performance only.​

Reactions: jbcarioca and JeffK
I expect there will be two battery packs, and three capacities offered for Model ☰.
55 kWh -- 215-to-230 mile range, software limited
75 kWh -- 275-to-295 mile range
100 kWh -- 320-to-360 mile range, Performance only.​

That would flip the industry on its head....but even more so if Tesla either:

A: committed to an even lower-cost vehicle with that range (where we all thought they were going to go with Model Y, until Part Deux was published....)

OR

B: (and now way more likely, since Part Deux was announced), selling packs to other OEM's who WILL put the packs in more affordable (<= $30,000US) BEVs.

Reactions: jbcarioca