Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many kWh can they squeeze into the Model 3...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure the post was clear........

You're willing to pay the $35,000 base price.

And $50,000 for the battery pack....

and nothing else? $85,000 for a base model RWD w/a bigger battery?

If Elon could find more like you, they'd have been cash-flow-positive a long time ago.
Why aren't you sure the post was clear?

I'm getting Ludicrous with everything that comes with it.

I'm ignoring all of the price guessing in the forum. The only thing I know for sure is that the entry level M3 is going to cost around $35K.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
Why aren't you sure the post was clear?

I'm getting Ludicrous with everything that comes with it.

I'm ignoring all of the price guessing. The only thing I know for sure is that the entry level M3 is going to cost around $35K.

Mrs. Nerd may force me to reconsider if I'm still checking boxes and the price is already past ~$85,000.

If I was given such an ultimatum, I may have to step down from Ludicrous and "settle" for a well-optioned Performance model.

My job situation changed since Deposit Day. (Voluntarily) took a ~$20,000/year pay cut, but I can now retire 5 years early with full pension.

If that means my 0-60 times will be .3 seconds slower, 5 years is a pretty good trade-off for that.

Me too, now we seem to be about 6% of the posters on this thread. Imagine 6% of Model 3 buyers choosing as we do. That would be similar to the BMW volumes for loaded M3 vs all. In their case the M3 allegedly contributes about 20% of total 3 series. For Tesla the relative contribution should be higher since there are far fewer changes required apart from the battery pack and probably inverters, fuses and the like. So we should contribute >20% of profits for the line. As a shareholder I'll be very happy. As an owner I'll be ludicrously happy!

@bcarioca. Sssshhhh.. I'm going to whisper this to you so no one else will hear this.

I've been told that highly optioned M3's (probably Ludicrous) will be delivered off the line first. If there are only 6% of us going Ludicrous....then 2 things might happen.

1. We might be guaranteed the tax breaks.
2. I'm going to fly to Fremont and hopefully be one of the first ones to be able to get my highly optioned M3 off the production line and drive it back to Chicago as a vacation.

Anywhoo... lets just keep this between you and I. - Otherwise other people might become aware of what we are doing an push us down in the production schedule.

Shhhhhh.

@bcarioca. Sssshhhh.. I'm going to whisper this to you so no one else will hear this.

I've been told that highly optioned M3's (probably Ludicrous) will be delivered off the line first. If there are only 6% of us going Ludicrous....then 2 things might happen.

1. We might be guaranteed the tax breaks.
2. I'm going to fly to Fremont and hopefully be one of the first ones to be able to get my highly optioned M3 off the production line and drive it back to Chicago as a vacation.

Anywhoo... lets just keep this between you and I. - Otherwise other people might become aware of what we are doing an push us down in the production schedule.

Shhhhhh.
Great. We should keep this between us, for sure. We can meet up at Fremont to pick up our cars. I will tell nobody. Shhhh.

• Funny
I for one, am not going to spend that much money on a car. :eek:
I'm aiming to 40k€ (including the green bonus, which in France is around 6k€) and that is already a big stretch for me. I would never spend that much on a car if it was not a Tesla. So I'll take AP and probably a bigger-than-base battery, but no performance or ludicrous or other fancy options... The point of the Model 3 is that it is affordable for the masses (well, some of the masses, at least). :rolleyes:

I still want highly-optioned, but I don't know if I want $100K highly optioned.

Also, if you have the money to pay CA sales tax, plus your own state's, just so you can say "FIRST", that's cool....

But in my case, I don't see paying CA tax, plus MA tax helps me much when trying to get $7500 back.

I for one, am not going to spend that much money on a car. :eek:
I'm aiming to 40k€ (including the green bonus, which in France is around 6k€) and that is already a big stretch for me. I would never spend that much on a car if it was not a Tesla. So I'll take AP and probably a bigger-than-base battery, but no performance or ludicrous or other fancy options... The point of the Model 3 is that it is affordable for the masses (well, some of the masses, at least). :rolleyes:
I agree. That is why more expensive versions exist, to help fund more reasonable vehicles.

Most states, including FL in my case, credit taxes paid to another state. However I probably will end out with CA registration for some time anyway.

I believe MA would credit me as well, but only up to the MA tax rate (6.25%), I'd eat any difference. I guess $850 (assuming an $85000 sticker) wouldn't be bad to get $7500....but I'm sure when MA and CA get involved, it won't be THAT simple.

I still want highly-optioned, but I don't know if I want $100K highly optioned.

Also, if you have the money to pay CA sales tax, plus your own state's, just so you can say "FIRST", that's cool....

But in my case, I don't see paying CA tax, plus MA tax helps me much when trying to get $7500 back.
First of all..... The only price Tesla has quoted is a $35K starting price. $100k is purely speculation. Why not say $200K.....

Secondly - I've already checked on the sales tax situation. I live in Illinois. Sales tax in California is currently 1.5% higher in Fremont than in Illinois. Once I pay Tax in Fremont California.....I won't have to pay Illinois tax on top of California tax. That's a false statement you made there. IF California tax turned out to be lower than Illinois sales tax...then I would have to pay the difference to get my registration.

$7500 is Federal. Neither California nor Illinois has anything to do with this federal tax rebate.

First of all..... The only price Tesla has quoted is a $35K starting price. $100k is purely speculation. Why not say $200K.....

Secondly - I've already checked on the sales tax situation. I live in Illinois. Sales tax in California is currently 1.5% higher in Fremont than in Illinois. Once I pay Tax in Fremont California.....I won't have to pay Illinois tax on top of California tax. That's a false statement you made there. IF California tax turned out to be lower than Illinois sales tax...then I would have to pay the difference to get my registration.

$7500 is Federal. Neither California nor Illinois has anything to do with this federal tax rebate.

I highly doubt Illinois is going to refund you the difference between the 2 states.

I'm not putting fear into you, I'm telling you like it is.

If CA is 1.5% higher than your state, IL will refund(EDIT: CREDIT. since people want to play semantics) you UP TO THE ILLINOIS TAX RATE.....and I hope you have some salt and pepper or Tabasco, or you flavoring of choice, because you will eat that 1.5% difference.

How would states ever hold on to revenue if they credited you more than they would have charged you?

Last edited:
I highly doubt Illinois is going to refund you the difference between the 2 states.

I'm not putting fear into you, I'm telling you like it is.

If CA is 1.5% higher than your state, IL ill refund you UP TO THE ILLINOIS TAX RATE.....and I hope you have some salt and pepper or Tabasco, or you flavoring of choice, because you will eat that 1.5% difference.

How would states ever hold on to revenue if they credited you more than they would have charged you?
Ok... here is yet another instance of not reading my post correctly or not at all. These are my exact words which don't say ANYTHING about a refund. Let me post them again.

"Secondly - I've already checked on the sales tax situation. I live in Illinois. Sales tax in California is currently 1.5% higher in Fremont than in Illinois. Once I pay Tax in Fremont California.....I won't have to pay Illinois tax on top of California tax."

Where do you read refund?

Exactly. That's the way it is in the majority of the states.

I'm not sure why the Nerd is trying to put fear in people.

We've had some constructive back and forth lately, but you seem to be growing increasingly combative with anyone who disagrees with you.

My post about taxes didn't come from a place of fear....it came from common sense....to use your situation:

You pick up your Model 3 in CA, you pay CA sales tax on it, which is 1.5% higher than your state's tax.

You return to IL to do title and registration. You show them proof of payment of the CA sales tax. They credit you the amount of the IL sales tax...that's all.

Why would IL be in the business of not only losing the sales tax revenue when you bought in another state, but effectively GIVING you another 1.5% on top of that loss?

Such a thing would never happen IMHO. If CA had lesser tax, you'd pay teh difference. If your state has lesser tax, you'll make a greater contribution to California. It is simple, and one can hardly disagree with your point.

Ok... here is yet another instance of not reading my post correctly or not at all. These are my exact words which don't say ANYTHING about a refund. Let me post them again.

"Secondly - I've already checked on the sales tax situation. I live in Illinois. Sales tax in California is currently 1.5% higher in Fremont than in Illinois. Once I pay Tax in Fremont California.....I won't have to pay Illinois tax on top of California tax."

Where do you read refund?

AND YOU DIDN'T READ MINE....Credit, refund, whatever you want to call it.........

my point.

now...I'll slow down....so you can catch up.

Grab a seat. You sitting down? good.

Coffee? great.

Reading glasses? cool. good job.

maybe a dictionary, or thesaurus?

OK......

YOU WILL EAT THE 1.5% DIFFERENCE IN SALES TAX BETWEEN THE 2 STATES.

Stop cherry-picking some tiny detail no one cares about just so you can petulantly stomp your feet and claim you're right.

You're not.

You're effectively paying a 1.5% tourism tax to CA.

And the $1200 destination fee anyway.

Glad I'm not your accountant.

We've had some constructive back and forth lately, but you seem to be growing increasingly combative with anyone who disagrees with you.

My post about taxes didn't come from a place of fear....it came from common sense....to use your situation:

You pick up your Model 3 in CA, you pay CA sales tax on it, which is 1.5% higher than your state's tax.

You return to IL to do title and registration. You show them proof of payment of the CA sales tax. They credit you the amount of the IL sales tax...that's all.

Why would IL be in the business of not only losing the sales tax revenue when you bought in another state, but effectively GIVING you another 1.5% on top of that loss?

I will end up losing 1.5%. According the Illinois Sales Tax laws. - As long as you have paid the equivalent sales tax on a car Somewhere: They will allow you to register your car. You could have paid 2X the Illinois tax rate. They don't care. As long as you paid what they would have charged you....your are good.

The example they gave me was if I purchased a $50K car in California right now: I would end up paying $750 more in taxes than if I waited for the car to get shipped to Chicago. That's the 1.5% difference.

I don't know what refund you are referring to.

AND YOU DIDN'T READ MINE....Credit, refund, whatever you want to call it.........

my point.

now...I'll slow down....so you can catch up.

Grab a seat. You sitting down? good.

Coffee? great.

Reading glasses? cool. good job.

maybe a dictionary, or thesaurus?

OK......

YOU WILL EAT THE 1.5% DIFFERENCE IN SALES TAX BETWEEN THE 2 STATES.

Stop cherry-picking some tiny detail no one cares about just so you can petulantly stomp your feet and claim you're right.

You're not.

You're effectively paying a 1.5% tourism tax to CA.

And the $1200 destination fee anyway.

Glad I'm not your accountant.
I see now.... you are being patronizing. I'm done.