Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many people are having connectivity issues?

Are you having connectivity issues?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im still having issues....drove to london and back over the weekend and kept dropping out so used hotspot most of the time. Then did another trip yesterday to Hereford and back and stil dropping out so on Hotspot. used my Data for the month on the phone so had to roll some back onto my account which i dont like to do.

So this is becoming increasingly annoying - had connectivity at the start of my journey today and then it just disappeared as I pulled off the drive, which seems to have been an issue for every journey this month bar one. So it's only working when in range of my home WiFi.
Jan 7th is the last showing history for my Tessie "Drives" even though I have been on several more than that.

I heard elsewhere that this may be due to the 3G switch off, producing dead spots between 4G and basically nothing, but sounds like garbage to me - at least based on the evidence that in a 40 mile round trip yesterday I saw a grand total of ZERO connectivity for the entire trip even into known 5G areas around Bristol (I know we don't have 5G modem onboard, but there would be a 4G signal somewhere between a scale of no data signal and 5G). I literally had the map re-appear as I got to within a mile of home which I assume is cached/downloaded from the start of my trip starting earlier in the day.

Reactions: boombap
3G is also capacity. If they all disappear there's a lot more load on the 4g side so if they haven't increased it enough then you have signal but it's no use. I can see that being possible.

Mine is slightly better. The white blocks aren't quite as common as before so there's probably more than one issue going on.

3G is also capacity. If they all disappear there's a lot more load on the 4g side so if they haven't increased it enough then you have signal but it's no use. I can see that being possible.

Mine is slightly better. The white blocks aren't quite as common as before so there's probably more than one issue going on.

Yeah but you are not talking some loss of performance - it's total loss of any signal showing, for the duration of a 20 mile drive at 3AM in the morning. We are not talking about network congestion issues.

This is what I am seeing during test - so no cell connection at all, and no valid IMEI even after a two button reset.
Shows the same if I turn off wifi
1706876168031.jpeg

So this is becoming increasingly annoying - had connectivity at the start of my journey today and then it just disappeared as I pulled off the drive, which seems to have been an issue for every journey this month bar one. So it's only working when in range of my home WiFi.
Jan 7th is the last showing history for my Tessie "Drives" even though I have been on several more than that.
Agreed - it actually seems to be getting worse again for me, connection totally crapped out about 10 minutes in to an hour long journey and just wouldn’t come back this time even after 2 button resets etc.

I’ve ended up tethering my phone again for music.

Agreed - it actually seems to be getting worse again for me, connection totally crapped out about 10 minutes in to an hour long journey and just wouldn’t come back this time even after 2 button resets etc.

I’ve ended up tethering my phone again for music.
Just put in a service request - not that I expect them to do anything, but more a case of they can add it to the pile :D

Reactions: boombap
I have mainly been using wifi hotspotting from my phone on longer journeys. I have it set as an automation so i forget its on wifi most of the time. Next time i do a longer trip greater than 5 miles from home i will turn off hotspot and see what happens.

I have a SC booking this friday for a seperate issue but i will ask again when there.

LOL - so Tesla came back and they expect me to pay £434.62 to fix the issue.
£82 for diagnostics to be ran
£28 to reflash the connectivity modem
£168 to remove and refit the HW3 computer
£83 to replace the connectivity modem.

Obviously VAT to be added to that too.
I don't know why I would need to pay for reflashing the existing modem and a replacement modem - you do one or the other surely?

Think I will just stick a wifi hotspot or use tethering in the car at that price

3 months after warranty expires and the computer gives up? Handy.

is car under warranty?

they always include the cost, and then it is "good will".

I always use chat function in app and ask them to change it to warranty job...

Nah 3 months outside - September 2019 car was registered. So it would be one of the early cars delivered to the UK market. While I expect it is easy to ask them to "warranty" it when the car has one, this will be more of a test.
The "remote diagnosis" is the only part they have goodwill on, the rest is all listed as customer pay.

I am on a trip to the south west from the midlands. I had to restart it 3 times on the M5. I thought it was fixed , but it seems to depend on the area.
just do not restart - it will fix in like 10-15 minute anyway.

just start the mobile hot spot on the phone and use you phone's internet.. in my opinion - better solution than restarting whole screen ...

Reactions: philip295
Nah 3 months outside - September 2019 car was registered. So it would be one of the early cars delivered to the UK market. While I expect it is easy to ask them to "warranty" it when the car has one, this will be more of a test.
The "remote diagnosis" is the only part they have goodwill on, the rest is all listed as customer pay.
oooooff tough luck then

oooooff tough luck then

We'll see what they say - I have asked, but it is completely dead mobile signal wise, not even a hint after a couple of two button resets being carried out.
It's one of those things I will have a look at - may just be something daft like the aerial cable has come loose, reseat the 3/4G card - I do all my own car mech work and I am a 25+ years of IT tech and engineering, but I am loath to touch it until Tesla have come back for fear of voiding anything.

LOL - so Tesla came back and they expect me to pay £434.62 to fix the issue.
£82 for diagnostics to be ran
£28 to reflash the connectivity modem
£168 to remove and refit the HW3 computer
£83 to replace the connectivity modem.

Obviously VAT to be added to that too.
I don't know why I would need to pay for reflashing the existing modem and a replacement modem - you do one or the other surely?

Think I will just stick a wifi hotspot or use tethering in the car at that price

3 months after warranty expires and the computer gives up? Handy.
There are people far more knowledgeable about the consumer protection laws here than I, but I think you have a strong case that the defective components have not lasted a reasonable time. Further evidence is that your issue seems quite uncommon (if it is failed hardware) and so an ordinary person would expect the components to last beyond the period that they have. Might get you nothing, and might not be worth your time, but I'd make some noises about the UK consumer protection laws.

We'll see what they say - I have asked, but it is completely dead mobile signal wise, not even a hint after a couple of two button resets being carried out.
It's one of those things I will have a look at - may just be something daft like the aerial cable has come loose, reseat the 3/4G card - I do all my own car mech work and I am a 25+ years of IT tech and engineering, but I am loath to touch it until Tesla have come back for fear of voiding anything.

No connectivity at all is different to the taking an age for it to come back. I'd definitely pursue the consumer rights angle. If it's failed just outside warranty and it's only lasted a few years it's not very good.

If you get into service mode does it tell you anything helpful?

Most useful thing they can do off their list is to replace the modem I'd have said. Will they do that on its own and is that the full cost of it ie 80 odd + VAT?

No connectivity at all is different to the taking an age for it to come back. I'd definitely pursue the consumer rights angle. If it's failed just outside warranty and it's only lasted a few years it's not very good.

If you get into service mode does it tell you anything helpful?

Most useful thing they can do off their list is to replace the modem I'd have said. Will they do that on its own and is that the full cost of it ie 80 odd + VAT?
Can see the screenshot above I took but it is basically looking like the modem is there, but it is saying no valid IMEI.

From what I can see this is quite a common thing and across other models too - some people reporting that it has happened more than once outside of warranty period which isn't great at £400+ a go for Tesla to basically unplug a card and put a new one in.