Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Roadsters will be produced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put down the reservation payment for one of the last 5 US production cars (only sport available at this point). so there are still around 4 left.
the sales guy told me 3 of the 5 "special" $200K units are sold. he also said there are 30 - 50 roadsters in stock in various stores and in menlo, most colors still available.
all future roadsters wil be european versions only.

Great information! What number is your roadster? Do you know of any specific options which will be unique?

I was thinking about this. Another possibility is that whatever differences between the European and North American vehicles are might be a motivating factor. For example if they have an excess of parts which are only used in Europe. Or maybe they already shipped many ESSs to the U.K. and need to use those up.
I thought the Menlo Park facility still has lease time left until sometime in 2012.

The margins on a roadster sale in europe/asia is a lot higher than what it is in North America. That is probably the main motivating factor behind this move.

The margins on a roadster sale in europe/asia is a lot higher than what it is in North America. That is probably the main motivating factor behind this move.

Base price for a roadster in Hong Kong is US$137k (including US$4k destination charge). So, that is about 22% on top of US price? They can charge that while people here (myself included) are willing to pay, and because EVs are tax-free here (while premium ICEs pay up to 100% tax).

Leaf is supposedly going to be US$55k here. The tax break is letting the car manufacturers increase prices, which kind of pisses me off as it is supposed to be an incentive on EV sales, not a mechanism to increase profits of the car manufacturers (vs other markets).

The tax break is letting the car manufacturers increase prices, which kind of pisses me off as it is supposed to be an incentive on EV sales, not a mechanism to increase profits of the car manufacturers (vs other markets).

I didn't realize the oil companies were using their tax breaks to lower the price at the pump vs. using it for profit to the shareholders...

Tesla isn't making profits, any plus from Roadster sales goes into financing the Model S. I'd think this *is* within the purpose of the tax breaks, since the Model S is a more affordable EV, and since it helps Tesla to reach more customers with EVs. At least, it makes a lot of sense to me, even more than reducing the price of the Roadster would.

Tesla isn't making profits, any plus from Roadster sales goes into financing the Model S. I'd think this *is* within the purpose of the tax breaks, since the Model S is a more affordable EV, and since it helps Tesla to reach more customers with EVs. At least, it makes a lot of sense to me, even more than reducing the price of the Roadster would.

Elon Musk publicly says that the Tesla Roadster and Joint Venture business units are profitable, today, and the losses are due to Model S development (which is funded by the government loans).

As you say, the Model S should be the more affordable EV (much as the Leaf is). If the base price of the Nissan Leaf is US$32k in USA, and US$55k here, what is that going to do to the Model S price?

A Prius costs about US$37k here (including full tax, less about US$1.2k green council incentives for hybrids).

My issue is not with Tesla (or anyone) making profits. My issue is that the tax incentive is there in order to bring the prices of EVs down to an affordable level to promote their adoption. By jacking up the prices, the manufacturers aren't helping and I suspect it will just result in the incentives being reduced/removed. Without the incentive, the Model S is going to have to sell for >US$110k, and at that price it will not be a success here.

My goal is simple. Get as many EVs on and ICEs off the road in Hong Kong, and create a sustainable EV economy - as quickly as possible.

EVs today cost more than their ICE counterparts. But the tax incentives can balance that out - and with servicing, gas and road tax benefits it becomes a no-brainer decision (on a cost basis). A Nissan Leaf should be salable in HK (with tax incentives) for the same price as a Prius. Hong Kong is in a unique position here, and it will be a shame to see it wasted. The tax incentive in HK is set to expire in April 2014.

Elon Musk publicly says that the Tesla Roadster and Joint Venture business units are profitable, today, and the losses are due to Model S development (which is funded by the government loans).

I know, that's what I am referring to with "plus from Roadster sales". All profits are used for investments etc, and Tesla as a whole is not expected to make profits before Model S is being produce for a while.

My issue is that the tax incentive is there in order to bring the prices of EVs down to an affordable level to promote their adoption.

The intent of the tax incentive here in the US is to offset the currently high cost of the battery packs. This means, it enables the customer to pay a higher price. For the EV manufacturer, this results in an increased ability to compete with non-EV offers of competitors, and allows them to get a better return on the their investments and to make future investments, or, if they want, profit.

Of course you are free to disagree with any specific price policy, but I don't see how this could be interpreted as a misuse of the incentives. I'm not specifically disagreeing with anything you say, except for that part. However, personally, I welcome Tesla's ability to make investments.

I hear that there is only 1 Vin of the final 5 still available.....

And as of 5/25 only 2 custom Vin slots available; there are still Roadsters to be had but that means buying from inventory so limited choice of colors and configurations.

Last edited:
Tesla Plans to End Roadster Production in December 11 Cleantech News and Analysis

Tesla Plans to End Roadster Production in December 11 Cleantech News and Analysis

Silicon Valley electric car pioneer Tesla plans to stop production of its first electric car, the Roadster, in December 2011, according to a filing. The news of a set deadline for the end of manufacturing of the Roadster emerged in a document Wednesday morning that detailed how Tesla plans to raise another $214 million in a combination of a follow-on public offering and a private placement, with shares bought by Tesla CEO Elon Musk and a subsidiary of Daimler, Blackstar Investco.

If the real reason for Roadster production ending is (as some sources have stated) that Lotus are stopping production of the Elise then there may be a tiny glimmer of hope.

You have to be a very keen Lotus fan to follow the confusing "Lotus vs Lotus" legal case but there is now a remote chance that Elise production may continue under the Caterham name. AROnline live Bahar blows credibility, loses Lotus?

If this did happen then consider that Tony Fernandes (owner of Air Asia, Team Lotus and Caterham) is also a Tesla owner and an astute businessman. If Caterham start making the Elise, I wonder how Tesla would feel about them making the roadster under licence?

Its a long shot, but when Roadster production stops there will be a gap in the market for an electric sports car and here we have a company who might capable of filling the gap?

... there is now a remote chance that Elise production may continue...
Even if this were the case, Tesla have spun themselves into a corner about the end of production. I don't see how they could go back on that "decision" at this point. Though I guess anything is possible. I would certainly like to see them keep building and selling as many as they can as Tesla's halo car until they offer a proper successor.

The Tesla Roadster is destined to be a Cult Car nothing less nothing more.

The Delorean is a cult car. The Tesla Roadster is much more than that.

The Tesla Roadster ushered in a new era of electric cars and has historic significance far beyond a committed fan base. It will continue to be the most practical long-distance electric car for at least another year and will likely be the best high-performance electric sports car available at any price for many years to come. It made it possible for this owner to get all of the gas burners out of the garage without giving up any driving convenience.

A Tesla employee told me this weekend that no more custom orders are being taken: all available reservations for production slots have been doled out, and the last Roadster will roll in a few months, circa 9/2011.