Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many service visits in 6 months of ownership is too many before asking for a buyback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at number 9 including 7 SC and 2 mobile. Most of them for issues related to alignment of doors and trim and one issue where car sat 9 days in service waiting for steering rack sensor replacement.

Latest though is too much - SC did an exceptionally shoddy rear quarter window replace even though I asked them not to (due to FWD rubbing off a bit of the window trim) and now they tell me they need to fix my window perimeter paint chips from using likely a metal tool and the black goo gunk they applied to “seal” the window (not at all like factory which uses hidden urethane) that they have to make an appointment at a body shop.

Lemon law (NJ) time or buyback request before that? I’m fed up with these incessant service visits. Poor shoddy quality in every one except maybe 1-2 of them.

I am at number 9 including 7 SC and 2 mobile. Most of them for issues related to alignment of doors and trim and one issue where car sat 9 days in service waiting for steering rack sensor replacement.

Latest though is too much - SC did an exceptionally shoddy rear quarter window replace even though I asked them not to (due to FWD rubbing off a bit of the window trim) and now they tell me they need to fix my window perimeter paint chips from using likely a metal tool and the black goo gunk they applied to “seal” the window (not at all like factory which uses hidden urethane) that they have to make an appointment at a body shop.

Lemon law (NJ) time or buyback request before that? I’m fed up with these incessant service visits. Poor shoddy quality in every one except maybe 1-2 of them.
Argh, stories like these give me doubt of buying a model X as well. Unfortunately, you're not the only one with these issues. Two of my colleagues have 13+ visits in a year. Sad.

I think a lot of it is due to SC botching the fix or not being qualified or willing to fix. I’ve had both rear quarter windows replaced for the FWD shaving the black trim on each at different times during alignment attempts. You would think automotive masking tape and testing if the tape gets hit first would be standard in such jobs. But I can’t stomach the latest horror where they used this black trim adhesive goo to try and seal the replacement. These are supposed to be glued using urethane so you can’t see it from the outside. The few paint chips between the trim and the body you can see is a bonus from not using masking tape again and probably prying the window with a screwdriver

An item that may impact the value of the vehicle is one that qualifies for lemon law in NJ. Shoddy window repairs and paint issues probably do. All that said, I don’t necessarily believe this is the best course of action, but at some point one has to draw a line. I’ll be more than happy if they repair it as new or if not to buy it back. The question is how does one convince them to do one or the other instead of the incessant service visits.

You could always ask. Present to them why you think you deserve a buyback. Such as the amount of time spent on service, number of attempts, etc. the worst you get is just them replying saying no. For actual lemon law, you need a lawyer and make sure you have met the requirements.

Yep - asking them right now this very moment. Waiting for “Chris” or whoever has the authority at Paramus SC to tell me what am I supposed to do. I’m willing to give them one more chance to address my fairly obvious and reasonable concerns. Their latest effort to address door rubbing my paint off resulted in this lovely wheel arch line, I’ll offer them to pick their favorite body shop and fit their car properly (that wheel arch was alright prior).

Attachments

• IMG_1872.jpeg
    IMG_1872.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 11
Better is the enemy of good. It is not unheard of for a shop to mess up one thing, when they are trying to fix another.

My X had some door fittment issues when I got it. After a month or so, the gaskets broke in and now they fit pretty tight.

Not sure you can lemon law a panel that does not fit perfectly. Only way you can tell for sure is to hire a lawyer and submit a claim.

No it’s not just that. 2 rear quarter window replacements on both sides due to doors rubbing the trim, one done shoddily with urethane visible and they chipped paint. So not just a panel alignment. This is a little icing on the cake - done to address the balloon rubbing noises. My stance to them is simple - fix your vehicle to look as new since these visits have gone on since delivery- or buy it back

That’s defending lazy. It can. For example if they use masking tape or if they actually spend the time to try different door adjustments that both don’t cause rubbing and don’t make the vehicle like Beavis and Butthead assembled it. It actually takes some more effort than they put in. And probably budget.