Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And you could've just as easily grabbed this quote too:
"
Other analysts contend Tesla's share price is justified given how it can benefit from the shift to electric vehicles.
"They're not going to stay at 80-90% share of the EV market, but they can keep growing even with much lower market share," said Daniel Ives, a technology analyst with Wedbush Securities. "We're looking at north of 3 million to 4 million vehicles annually as we go into 2025-26, with 40% of that growth coming from China. We believe now they are on the trajectory that even without [the EV] credits they'll still be profitable."

But you chose not to. You only chose the negative quotes. one that was rather ridiculous even. So I countered.
See how that works?
Correct I'm showing the diversity of the commentary by responding to the curated comment by Meunster. I also agree and believe they'll be profitable but until this past quarter that's just not been the case without the credits.

You can disagree but their reinvestment into RD and factories has nothing to do with weather make money or not. Their profitability was based on selling energy credits. You can read their 10k and 10q filings. This is something that is quite well known.

Sorry to all those that gave me a disagree on the original post.
Clearly, you seem to not understand the difference between making money and corporate profit. Tesla sells cars for less than they cost. This is making money. They plow much of this money back into growth, thus reducing their corporate profit. They've been selling so many regulatory credits that this has given them a true corporate profit, however.
You seem to suggest that there is something wrong with this financial position when the rest of us see it as phenomenal for a growth stock to get funding directly from the competition.

let's see it happen consistently
uh oh! now you're trying to move the goal posts . . .

Reactions: AquaY and WhiteWi
I agree with him that neither GM or VW are profitable on EVs at this point either. I'm sure that will change Tesla and others as new EV models outstrip the introduction of new ICE models.

You could've just as easily grabbed this quote too:

"The competition is rendering Tesla's cars irrelevant," said GLJ' Resarch's Johnson. "We do not see this as a sustainable business model."

I disagree with it but it shows the spread by different analysts on the sustainability. I thinkk in the long term Tesla will be just fine.
Tesla kills them all. The Super Charger system is 1/2 of the vehicle purchase. The public charger system is a joke.

I was flying to europe when the invite to the Lightning Preciew event for resv holders was opened up for reservations… anyone lucky enough to snag a date to get a first look?
We got to see it and ride in it last week. While the acceleration was impressive and the vehicle was nice and quiet, I was surprised it took nearly 3x longer to accelerate to 60 mph than our Plaid. ;)

The inside was in pretty bad shape. The vehicles we saw must've been the same ones they've been using at all events and they've undoubtedly had a lot of passenger traffic. Paint (?) on the interior door trim was all worn off and I had to do a double-take to see if it was an intentional camouflage pattern or just wear and tear. There were signs indicating they were pre-production models. Hopefully production models hold up better as these vehicles were only a few months old.

We got to see it and ride in it last week. While the acceleration was impressive and the vehicle was nice and quiet, I was surprised it took nearly 3x longer to accelerate to 60 mph than our Plaid. ;)

The inside was in pretty bad shape. The vehicles we saw must've been the same ones they've been using at all events and they've undoubtedly had a lot of passenger traffic. Paint (?) on the interior door trim was all worn off and I had to do a double-take to see if it was an intentional camouflage pattern or just wear and tear. There were signs indicating they were pre-production models. Hopefully production models hold up better as these vehicles were only a few months old.

The interior is all prototype material. I was also concerned with the material inside just from the pictures but can confirm that the interior will be totally different. The interior in my ICE F—150 is still holding up well and looks new.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3

Wait… your comparing ten acceleration of a Plaid vs a truck?

• Funny
Reactions: Leeclanual
between the R1T (lifestyle, very premium interior, small enough to be parked in most spots, pricey ... think Range Rover) and the F150 Lightning (classic full size truck offered in trim levels from affordable basic work truck all the way to Platinum luxury truck) .... it might get tight for the Cybertruck by the time it hits the streets in 2023 (?)

between the R1T (lifestyle, very premium interior, small enough to be parked in most spots, pricey ... think Range Rover) and the F150 Lightning (classic full size truck offered in trim levels from affordable basic work truck all the way to Platinum luxury truck) .... it might get tight for the Cybertruck by the time it hits the streets in 2023 (?)
Lots of trucks get sold every year; I don't see there being enough BEV trucks available to cause competition for each other for a number of years. The competition for the rest of the decade will be the ICE trucks which will get slaughtered as people try BEV trucks. Also the two trucks mentioned aren't really direct competitors to the Cyber Truck. The Lightnings low payload, range, sub par creature comforts at the base level ("commercial oriented") and off road capability place it in a class well below the CT. The R1T, while being a very nice rig, is just too expensive to really get used for much more than wine tasting trips. The CT is more "Just right" than either of those two. Plenty of utility, capability and creature comforts at a price that's attractive. You'll see plenty of R1Ts at the local bistro and Lightnings broken down on the side of the road--and you'll see far more CTs hauling lumber and off roading and towing trailers and camping and just generally being used like a truck.

Lmao….. Some Tesla Fans are truly delusional….

“sub-par creature comforts” while just avoiding talking about the CT Osh Kosh Interior or the elephant in the room…. The CT hasn’t been proven it can haul, off-road, tow trailers or even exist…. And the kicker? The R1T will be for “wine tasting” lmao…. All of a sudden Tesla Fans don’t want to raise their pinky finger when taking a sip 🤣

“sub-par creature comforts” while just avoiding talking about the CT Osh Kosh Interior or the elephant in the room…. The CT hasn’t been proven it can haul, off-road, tow trailers or even exist…. And the kicker? The R1T will be for “wine tasting” lmao…. All of a sudden Tesla Fans don’t want to raise their pinky finger when taking a sip 🤣
lol. yup.

never mind that we have full specs for a production R1T (over 310 miles of range *with* 4 (!) motors and extremely good offroad capability) and Ford has released specs and production design/ features of the Lightning with starting prices for all 3 trim levels. 10k towing and 2k lbs of payload is more than most will ever need. Tesla can *claim* higher payload and towing but unlike the R1T or Lightning it won't hit the road in 2022 ... (or maybe even not 2023)

Lots of trucks get sold every year; I don't see there being enough BEV trucks available to cause competition for each other for a number of years. The competition for the rest of the decade will be the ICE trucks which will get slaughtered as people try BEV trucks. Also the two trucks mentioned aren't really direct competitors to the Cyber Truck. The Lightnings low payload, range, sub par creature comforts at the base level ("commercial oriented") and off road capability place it in a class well below the CT. The R1T, while being a very nice rig, is just too expensive to really get used for much more than wine tasting trips. The CT is more "Just right" than either of those two. Plenty of utility, capability and creature comforts at a price that's attractive. You'll see plenty of R1Ts at the local bistro and Lightnings broken down on the side of the road--and you'll see far more CTs hauling lumber and off roading and towing trailers and camping and just generally being used like a truck.
entry level 250 miles CT with RWD = $39k ; entry level Lightning with 230 miles of range but AWD =$39k-$41k ... EXACT same ballpark but only one has AWD

once you go into CT with AWD and "300+ miles of range" Tesla quotes starting $50k .... and Ford quotes for an XLT $53k ... again... about the same ballpark

and we all know the availability of lower priced versions of Teslas in the first 2 yrs... aka not there. They'll happy sell you a tri-motor $70k+ CT though which is priced about the same as a Rivian R1T .... and priced well above even the nicer Lariat trim lightning...

Reactions: T3SLAROD
entry level 250 miles CT with RWD = $39k ; entry level Lightning with 230 miles of range but AWD =$39k-$41k ... EXACT same ballpark but only one has AWD

once you go into CT with AWD and "300+ miles of range" Tesla quotes starting $50k .... and Ford quotes for an XLT $53k ... again... about the same ballpark

and we all know the availability of lower priced versions of Teslas in the first 2 yrs... aka not there. They'll happy sell you a tri-motor $70k+ CT though which is priced about the same as a Rivian R1T .... and priced well above even the nicer Lariat trim lightning...

And those are Pre-Pandemic numbers. I find it hilarious that people still think the CT will start at $39K two years from now.

Ford has doubled their production target to 80,000 F-150 lightenings.
That's not a lot of vehicles and I think they have over 100,000 reservations.
They aren;t even close to production yet either I believe.

Rivian is the first but still delayed for deliveries.
the CT won't be out until 2023 IMO but Ford is not going to have many trucks produced by the time the CT is out.
And at 80,000 goal they aren't going to make the CT "tight".

I can't wait to see a Rivian. Love to test drive one.
If I like it I may buy one until my Cyber truck is ready in 2024.

The better both the Rivian and F150 are the more I like it.
Competition fuels innovation and lowers costs

I know there are some fan boys that are so crazy for tesla , they refuse to see any cons or recognize any one else's pros but I understand why they are here. This is a tesla club.
You seem to dislike Teslas. A LOT.
Doesn't make you wrong but it just seems really weird that you would waste your time at a Tesla club site.
Why are you here if you dislike Teslas so much and love fords?

lol. yup.

never mind that we have full specs for a production R1T (over 310 miles of range *with* 4 (!) motors and extremely good offroad capability) and Ford has released specs and production design/ features of the Lightning with starting prices for all 3 trim levels. 10k towing and 2k lbs of payload is more than most will ever need. Tesla can *claim* higher payload and towing but unlike the R1T or Lightning it won't hit the road in 2022 ... (or maybe even not 2023)
Oh but wait… the CT is the best truck ever! Lol

the CT won't be out until 2023 IMO but Ford is not going to have many trucks produced by the time the CT is out.

I know there are some fan boys that are so crazy for tesla , they refuse to see any cons or recognize any one else's pros but I understand why they are here. This is a tesla club.
Doesn't make you wrong but it just seems really weird that you would waste your time at a Tesla club site.
Yea…. It’s. not fair to us fanboys. It’s not fair. It’s not. It’s Not.

• Disagree
Reactions: AquaY and T3SLAROD

Because it's a Ford Lightning Thread?

Again, the S is awesome, the X is great, The Y is better than the Wach-E, and the 3 is the best commuter car in the world...... but yeah I hate Tesla :rolleyes:

Yes, I love Fords, have owned plenty of them and hope they succeed in this venture into EV's.....I remember not so long ago on this very Forum everyone was about other Manufacturers making EV's but now in this thread alone everyone is about making excuses about how a non-existent Truck is better than a Truck ready for production and one already in production.....

Because it's a Ford Lightning Thread?

Again, the S is awesome, the X is great, The Y is better than the Wach-E, and the 3 is the best commuter car in the world...... but yeah I hate Tesla :rolleyes:

Yes, I love Fords, have owned plenty of them and hope they succeed in this venture into EV's.....I remember not so long ago on this very Forum everyone was about other Manufacturers making EV's but now in this thread alone everyone is about making excuses about how a non-existent Truck is better than a Truck ready for production and one already in production.....
I haven't read every post you've ever made. Just seen you repeatedly loving the F150 ( which doesn't exist anymore than the Cyber truck does) and booing the Cyber truck. I also remember you on the Y versus Mach E tread. You seem as much a Ford fan boy as the tesla fan boys you mock.
So I have the impression from those repeated posts that you dislike Tesla
Even in this reply to my post you seem upset that someone is enthusiastic about the Cyber truck.
"Everyone is about making excuses about how a non-existent Truck is better than a Truck ready for production and one already in production....."
EVERYONE? Really?
Ford has not started production. That's not being "Ready for Production" They said they started " Pre-production" What does pre production even mean?
Sounds like they are building production facilities which is not production.
If it is, the Cyber Truck is in "Pre-Production" as well.

I haven't read every post you've ever made. Just seen you repeatedly loving the F150 ( which doesn't exist anymore than the Cyber truck does) and booing the Cyber truck. I also remember you on the Y versus Mach E tread. You seem as much a Ford fan boy as the tesla fan boys you mock.
So I have the impression from those repeated posts that you dislike Tesla
Even in this reply to my post you seem upset that someone is enthusiastic about the Cyber truck.
"Everyone is about making excuses about how a non-existent Truck is better than a Truck ready for production and one already in production....."
EVERYONE? Really?
Ford has not started production. That's not being "Ready for Production" They said they started " Pre-production" What does pre production even mean?
Sounds like they are building production facilities which is not production.
If it is, the Cyber Truck is in "Pre-Production" as well.

Yup and after thoroughly looking at the Mach-E and test driving it I changed my mind..... imagine that....

BTW, I'm a "FanBoy" of every manufacturer that produces cars, I don't stick to just one brand..... ready for production is "Pre-Production", this is exactly what I mean, CT apologist want to make it seem like both the Lightning and CT are on the same Production track when that is not the case AT ALL. If you want to call the CT "Pre-Production" then go ahead, it'll be in "Pre-Production" for at least 2 more years. Meanwhile, you can place your order for the "Pre-Production" F150 Lightning on October 26th or just order your Rivian right now. When the CT is actually ready to come out in 2023 then maybe I can turn my reservation into an order. Until then the F-150 Lightning is the truck that's here right now.

*** yes I have a CT Reservation also*** "What a turn of events Jimmy, the "Fan Boy" has a CT Reservation" 🤣