Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No.

Plenty of manufacturer's had such low demand that even with heavily discounted cars they couldn't sell them. Then they went out of business.

Tesla does not have this problem.

So they didn’t have that problem with the 35k Model 3? Even when they went out of business ….. they sold every single car, unless you can point me to where these cars are still sitting in a lot brand new….

As far as “demand” manufacturers can always give you an illusion of “demand”

I mean there are plenty of used Teslas to be had.

So they didn’t have that problem with the 35k Model 3? Even when they went out of business ….. they sold every single car, unless you can point me to where these cars are still sitting in a lot brand new….

As far as “demand” manufacturers can always give you an illusion of “demand”

I mean there are plenty of used Teslas to be had.

Your logic continues to be faulty.

If a manufacturer can conjure up "demand" as you say.....why have so many gone out of business?

Simple.....they couldn't sell cars. The demand wasn't there. Cars went unsold.

Your logic continues to be faulty.

If a manufacturer can conjure up "demand" as you say.....why have so many gone out of business?

Simple.....they couldn't sell cars. The demand wasn't there. Cars went unsold.

Gone out of business like manufacturers that were under the GM umbrella or merged with another manufacturer? Like Eagle selling the Same car Mitsubishi was selling? Too many brands under one big manufacturer? The big 3 colluding to take out other manufacturers?

Again, the demand for Tesla is an illusion, saying there is a wait for new Teslas is not eye opening. Every Manufacturer right now has a wait time on their vehicles. I predict the CT will not sell all those Reservation, however the illusion of then being in demand and hard to get will be there. Just like the Ford Lightning, right now there is this big illusion that you can’t get one and it’s just not true.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16 and TessP100D
THIS IS THE DISCUSSION!

You said that if Tesla released the Cybertruck a year or two after the competition it would not get buyers.

I commented that Tesla was 100 years late to the automobile industry and that they have been incredibly successful despite that.
I never said they won’t have buyers. Just that they would have sold many more if they were first to market. First, like they have been mostly since their beginning

I never said they won’t have buyers. Just that they would have sold many more if they were first to market. First, like they have been mostly since their beginning
Maybe maybe not.

If Tesla sells every CT they can possibly make, no matter when they release it, they wouldn’t sell any more.

And as far as being first to have an advantage, that may not be so great either as noted between the Model 3 and Bolt. Now the difference here is that the Lightning is a better vehicle than the Bolt but the question will be, is it better than the CT and will Ford be able to produce them in massive volume?

We shall see. Regardless, consumers win. Exciting times!

You seem to be changing your story while trying to change the subject. Tesla is 100 years late to the Automotive market and sales are phenominal. No other American car maker has successfully started up and survived in many decades.

Here's what you said:

My guess is if Tesla does eventually get the cyber truck to market they will pirate very few sales from GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota loyalists.

A video from Transport Evolved on their F150 Lightning:

Interesting how many quality control problems they have had:
  1. Loose passenger sun visor
  2. Cracked hood strut
  3. 12V battery tray cover missing parts
  4. Luggage hooks loose
  5. Scratch on the B pillar
  6. Recall for TPMS bug
  7. Reports that Ford's EVSE, that is included, has been overheating and causing problems when charging at the full rated amperage.
It sounds like there may have been other things that were fixed that she didn't list.

So much for the legacy OEMs having great QC, and that the dealers doing the PDI before delivery correcting everything the manufacturer messed up on.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
You seem to be changing your story while trying to change the subject. Tesla is 100 years late to the Automotive market and sales are phenominal. No other American car maker has successfully started up and survived in many decades.

Here's what you said:
Yes. Truck buyers are some of the most brand loyal consumers out there. If the CT had made it to market a few years before Ford and GM they very well could have converted some. But given that the lightning beat them (and is a pretty good truck) and Silverado will likely be available before the CT, the chances of Ford/GM loyalists switching over is less likely.

If the CT had made it to market a few years before Ford and GM they very well could have converted some. But given that the lightning beat them (and is a pretty good truck) and Silverado will likely be available before the CT, the chances of Ford/GM loyalists switching over is less likely.

my dude put down the shovel......

Tesla got beat to market by 100 years, is selling like hotcakes, and the vast majority of buyers are "loyalists switching over".

Don't get me wrong...choice is a good thing and the Silverado looks pretty sweet, but your binary logic of first to market wins all is weak.

The F-150 impresses me as a good choice for an EV pickup. My needs of a car with pickup truck utility and environmental responsibility are met. Compared with the Cybertruck, honestly either one, in the end, is a good choice for me. Debating the various differences is fun, but....

However! I have absolutely zero desire to engage the dealership model, considering these stories:

No wonder I read how consumers hold car dealers in low esteem. Life's too short to deal with people like these. As for me, my local dealer adds anywhere from 3-6K on every car the have, and I haven't priced a F-150 from them yet. Maybe I will, but I suspect the visit will be short.

So I believe to argue "F-150 starts at $39,974" so it is less than a Cybertruck is disingenuous. I suspect there are examples of some dealers really selling at MSRP (with no documentation/prep/processing fees), but I don't think they're the norm, and most buyers will experience predatory pricing. Not for me, I have a choice.
Dealership models are especially bad as you pointed out during sellers markets. However, in 2019, I bought my Tesla Model S online from a used car dealer and it was super smooth for a couple reasons.
A) I did a national search for the exact car I wanted at what I felt was a good price. This alone saved me research time and no need for negotiation as the price was right at this particular dealership.
B) The paper work and signing process was completely done via FedEx, back and forth over a period of 1 week.
C) I arranged for the vehicle to be picked up by my own shipper.

I never had to meet with my car sales rep or manager once during the entire process. The only red flag could've been not doing an on-site inspection of the car. The car at the time was 4 years old and had 270 miles on it and a clean car fax report. I got lucky when I received it as it still had the new car smell inside. In the future, I plan on getting inspections and interior smell checks done prior to the sale.

Again, I realize 2022 is NOT a buyer's market, so inventory is lower and prices are held at MSRP or higher.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
...Again, the demand for Tesla is an illusion, saying there is a wait for new Teslas is not eye opening. Every Manufacturer right now has a wait time on their vehicles. I predict the CT will not sell all those Reservation, however the illusion of then being in demand and hard to get will be there. Just like the Ford Lightning, right now there is this big illusion that you can’t get one and it’s just not true.

First, if you look back before global shortages there was still a wait time for Teslas. The demand has undeniably grown from that time. Yes every manufacturer is experiencing wait times but to say that demand for Tesla is an illusion is just deulsional...to an extreme.
Second, of course the CT won't sell all of the reservations that's a ridiculous thing to say. How many are actually converted to sales is a big open question and we can't even come close to guessing, in large part because we don't know what the pricing will be. If they kept the launch price points (they won't humor me) they would sell a crap ton more than if the top of the line $70k one actually is priced at $100k or $120k.
Third, no you cannot get a lightning right now. They are not making very many and there is demand for them. Ford is also suffering from pains caused by their dealership model.

So to summarize, you are wrong. Across the board you are wrong.

A video from Transport Evolved on their F150 Lightning:

Interesting how many quality control problems they have had:
  1. Loose passenger sun visor
  2. Cracked hood strut
  3. 12V battery tray cover missing parts
  4. Luggage hooks loose
  5. Scratch on the B pillar
  6. Recall for TPMS bug
  7. Reports that Ford's EVSE, that is included, has been overheating and causing problems when charging at the full rated amperage.
It sounds like there may have been other things that were fixed that she didn't list.

So much for the legacy OEMs having great QC, and that the dealers doing the PDI before delivery correcting everything the manufacturer messed up on.

You forgot to put down the part where she said the best thing is how “reliable” it has been…. But yeah the overheating Charger Not Made by Ford and loose visor lol

That's stretching beyond the topic and the intended use. Those who want off-grid solar capability need a dedicated system like Simpliphi. Those who live in an area with extreme rates & unreliability in their grid, should take steps to resolve the core causational issues, which are easily solvable. (Occam's Razor.)

As far as the backup capabilities of the Lightning, it's perfect for dealing with the intermittent to short duration events as intended, which is what most of us face.
I finally have a little time to help clarify why a trailer with battery for electric assist would be good for home backup as well.
I don't need to drag 300 miles of trailer towing batteries around in my truck every day. 200 to 300 miles unloaded would be fine daily.
When I go on road trips towing my trainer, I'll get about half the range from my truck's batteries. If I make that up with 300 miles of batteries in my RV, that will cover road trips very nicely.
The rest of the time, however, those 300 miles of batteries (~100 kWh) will just be sitting around in my driveway getting old (capacity loss due to age), either in my truck or my trailer but doing nobody any good.
Now, if I can use those batteries to go effectively off-grid, countering grid off-peak charges, as well as offering backup power for me and probably my neighbors as well. I can also take these with me to my new house if I move and with the addition of PV on the trailer, it will enable luxury, quiet off-grid boondocking with the trailer as well.
Its a matter of where I put my extra ~100KWh of batteries:
1) In my truck (longer range vehicle to handle towing)?
2) Bolted to my house (Powerwalls)?
3) In my travel trailer (Gets me longer range, grid backup for peak and outages, and enable off-grid in my trailer)?
For the same cost, dominated by the battery cost, 3) may not be a bad choice.
Free Bonus: electric motors on my RV can be used to nudge the RV around sans the tow vehicle.

I finally have a little time to help clarify why a trailer with battery for electric assist would be good for home backup as well.
I don't need to drag 300 miles of trailer towing batteries around in my truck every day. 200 to 300 miles unloaded would be fine daily.
When I go on road trips towing my trainer, I'll get about half the range from my truck's batteries. If I make that up with 300 miles of batteries in my RV, that will cover road trips very nicely.
The rest of the time, however, those 300 miles of batteries (~100 kWh) will just be sitting around in my driveway getting old (capacity loss due to age), either in my truck or my trailer but doing nobody any good.
Now, if I can use those batteries to go effectively off-grid, countering grid off-peak charges, as well as offering backup power for me and probably my neighbors as well. I can also take these with me to my new house if I move and with the addition of PV on the trailer, it will enable luxury, quiet off-grid boondocking with the trailer as well.
Its a matter of where I put my extra ~100KWh of batteries:
1) In my truck (longer range vehicle to handle towing)?
2) Bolted to my house (Powerwalls)?
3) In my travel trailer (Gets me longer range, grid backup for peak and outages, and enable off-grid in my trailer)?
For the same cost, dominated by the battery cost, 3) may not be a bad choice.
Free Bonus: electric motors on my RV can be used to nudge the RV around sans the tow vehicle.
There are a few campers that have a concept like this out there. The airstream is targeted at about $200,000. The other thing I think it’s important to remember concept of moving large battery banks around They are thousands of pounds

There are a few campers that have a concept like this out there. The airstream is targeted at about $200,000. The other thing I think it’s important to remember concept of moving large battery banks around They are thousands of pounds
True, however, additional wind drag hurts you at your velocity squared. Additional mass with an EV only hurts you linearly through tire drag and your ascent, due to regenerative braking on the descent.
I'm definitely watching to see what airstream comes out with, for how much, and with what capabilities. At $200K, it may be hard to justify in general though but I don't blame them from starting at the high end.

True, however, additional wind drag hurts you at your velocity squared. Additional mass with an EV only hurts you linearly through tire drag and your ascent, due to regenerative braking on the descent.
I'm definitely watching to see what airstream comes out with, for how much, and with what capabilities. At $200K, it may be hard to justify in general though but I don't blame them from starting at the high end.
Well considering there aren’t many new airstreams without batteries and motors you can buy for <$85k and most are >$100k I wouldn’t hold my breath for the battery+motor version to come in at much under ~$200k, ever.

You are correct wind resistance erects range way more then weight. I get very similar mpg towing my 25’ ORV that I did towing a 25’ airstream, and I get towing my brothers 17’ Lance. In terms of weight, you sort of implied that you would be moving them all over the place.

“Now, if I can use those batteries to go effectively off-grid, countering grid off-peak charges, as well as offering backup power for me and probably my neighbors as well. I can also take these with me to my new house if I move and with the addition of PV on the trailer, it will enable luxury, quiet off-grid boondocking with the trailer as well”

And in terms of payload, I haven’t seen specs but guessing that a 100kw battery drivetrain will all at least 2500-3k lbs. Also considering a 22-25’ airstream is already at least 6k lbs, EV truck+EV camper could easily be pushing (and over) 20k lbs GVW.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmartElectric