Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much do you get per mile for business miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who use your EVs for business miles how much do you get back per mile?

I get 6p/mile (which is above the current government recommendation on 5p/mile) and based on my average kWhrs/mile I reckon I'm making a loss if I have to pay more than circa 23p/kWhr. This mean I may need to take my husband's ICE car for the longer journeys where I need to charge enroute or in areas where there isn't suitable destination chargers. I've used up all my free supercharger miles now and have got some long journeys coming up over the next month so have started doing the maths and it isn't looking pretty.

Wow, I really feel cheated! I get a car allowance (rather than having a company car) too but that's towards buying/maintaining a car not the actual running costs. The mileage rates for petrol/diesel are something like 18p/mile (for comparison). I'm really hoping that they up them to something more reasonable when they review them in April (I've already complained to HR).

Remember you can still claim tax relief on the difference between what they give you and the 45p rate, including for Electric. You have to do a tax return each year and it’s only tax relief rather than the full payment but it adds up if you do a lot of miles.

Remember you can still claim tax relief on the difference between what they give you and the 45p rate, including for Electric. You have to do a tax return each year and it’s only tax relief rather than the full payment but it adds up if you do a lot of miles.
That helps (and is a good reminder that I need to do that in the near future) but it isn't something (IMHO) that my company should be relying on to make sure I'm not out of pocket on expenses.

I really feel cheated

The other, higher, rates might be for people who do not get any car allowance?

I think you would be much better off with a company car than allowance. Benefit-in-Kind on EV Company car is 1-or-2%, and the company gets the tax benefit of 100% first year write off too. But that might be "too difficult" if a company that doesn't want to provide any employee with a company car. Salary Sacrifice for EV would be another option that company could provide. On the illustration our employees were given it was something like £800 a month sticker-price (no deposit, everything included - service, insurance, recovery, etc etc.) and as a Salary Sacrifice the employee only paid £500 per month. Presumably you'd still get the Allowance and Business Mileage.

I reckon I'm making a loss if I have to pay more than circa 23p/kWhr

Most / all? rapid charging will be more than that. However I wonder what portion of your journeys that would be for?

Charge to 100% before you leave, you are probably good for 250 miles. So if your day is, say, 300 miles that's only 50 miles of rapid charge that you need (i..e enough to get back home). [actually you need a bit more than that, as you can't run it "flat" before you charge, so probably more like an extra 10% / 25 miles on top of that]. If you are visiting clients maybe you can plug in there? We actively encourage visitors to charge - it sends a message to dinosaurs ones that we are serious about being Green :) and it costs the company the best part of naff-all to provide that "perk" (and to all employees too ...)

Hopefully you are able to have a cheap overnight rate that you normally charge at around 7p / unit - depending how you drive / conditions etc. I would expect you to get between 3 and 4 miles per "unit" / kWh. So 2-3p / mile (for electricity) for any miles you do on "home overnight juice"

The other, higher, rates might be for people who do not get any car allowance?

I think you would be much better off with a company car than allowance. Benefit-in-Kind on EV Company car is 1-or-2%, and the company gets the tax benefit of 100% first year write off too. But that might be "too difficult" if a company that doesn't want to provide any employee with a company car. Salary Sacrifice for EV would be another option that company could provide. On the illustration our employees were given it was something like £800 a month sticker-price (no deposit, everything included - service, insurance, recovery, etc etc.) and as a Salary Sacrifice the employee only paid £500 per month. Presumably you'd still get the Allowance and Business Mileage.

Most / all? rapid charging will be more than that. However I wonder what portion of your journeys that would be for?

Charge to 100% before you leave, you are probably good for 250 miles. So if your day is, say, 300 miles that's only 50 miles of rapid charge that you need (i..e enough to get back home). [actually you need a bit more than that, as you can't run it "flat" before you charge, so probably more like an extra 10% / 25 miles on top of that]. If you are visiting clients maybe you can plug in there? We actively encourage visitors to charge - it sends a message to dinosaurs ones that we are serious about being Green :) and it costs the company the best part of naff-all to provide that "perk" (and to all employees too ...)

Hopefully you are able to have a cheap overnight rate that you normally charge at around 7p / unit - depending how you drive / conditions etc. I would expect you to get between 3 and 4 miles per "unit" / kWh. So 2-3p / mile (for electricity) for any miles you do on "home overnight juice"
It's very variable if I can charge when I get to site, if I'm lucky they have a free 7 or 11kW EV charger, sometimes I can plug the granny charger in, often there's nothing. Next week is 270 miles each way with limited capability to charge at my destination (granny charger for two office days), it doesn't help that I'm very cautious and get twitchy below 20% battery ☺️

Car allowance is the only option in my company and (as I had the capital and expect to be made redundant in 2 yrs) salary sacrifice wasn't that attractive when I did the spreadsheet.

I probably shouldn't complain too much as 4.5k miles in and I have yet to pay to charge the car as I can charge for free in the local car park and the company office a couple of miles away (though they are planning to make these chargeable as it's perceived as a potential taxable benefit).

I'm very cautious and get twitchy below 20% battery

Fair enough :) I too charge until arrival prediction at my next stop/destination is showing 20%, even though arrival at 10% would charge faster. As I drive if arrival prediction starts to move towards 10% I slow down, and if it is still up around 20% when I am getting close I speed up on the basis that I have "more than enough"

they are planning to make these chargeable as it's perceived as a potential taxable benefit

Yeah, I can see HMRC not wanting any employee to have any freebie whatsoever ...

We have a company day out in the summer. We have to pay tax on the income tax and NI (employees and employers) that the Revenue thinks they would otherwise have lost out on, and the VAT ... it more than doubles the cost of the event :(

Just for clarity, the 45p rate is the AMAP (Approved Mileage Allowance Payment) rate for private cars, not company cars - company cars are based on AFR (Advisory Fuel Rates).

Your company can pay you as much per mile as they want - that is then compared with the AMAP rate for private cars, or the AFR for company cars. If they pay higher than the rates, you will pay tax on the extra, if they pay less you can then claim relief on the difference.

If they are paying you 6p a mile for a company electric car, then technically you need to pay tax on the 1p for each mile you claim...

With petrol prices as they are right now the AFR rate may not cover the petrol, although the AFR values are reviewed every quarter. The rates vary based on cc and fuel type, but they are in the 12-18p region...

Just for clarity, the 45p rate is the AMAP (Approved Mileage Allowance Payment) rate for private cars, not company cars - company cars are based on AFR (Advisory Fuel Rates).

Your company can pay you as much per mile as they want - that is then compared with the AMAP rate for private cars, or the AFR for company cars. If they pay higher than the rates, you will pay tax on the extra, if they pay less you can then claim relief on the difference.

If they are paying you 6p a mile for a company electric car, then technically you need to pay tax on the 1p for each mile you claim...

With petrol prices as they are right now the AFR rate may not cover the petrol, although the AFR values are reviewed every quarter. The rates vary based on cc and fuel type, but they are in the 12-18p region...
The AFR for electric cars at 5p/mile has never been realistic for all but people with the cheapest overnight discount rates. They are clearly not being reviewed quarterly given its not changing. It needs trebling.

My previous employer would pay AFR on mileage in personal cars, which was never fair. Mt new employer pays 45p /mile.

I'm very cautious and get twitchy below 20% battery
New Tesla owner here and did my first long drives yesterday and again today, and let the MY manage my time between superchargers. At the start of the drive this morning the MY said it would have 15% of spare battery when I got to the supercharger but in reality after the pre-conditioning/warm the battery had kicked in my remaining charge was only 6% when I got to the supercharger. Too close for comfort, but a lesson's learnt. AV. speed was 64 MPH.

after the pre-conditioning/warm the battery had kicked in my remaining charge was only 6% when I got to the supercharger
If you want to you can navigate-to somewhere else, nearby, to prevent pre-condition ... CONSUMPTION (on the TRIP tab) will show predicted arrival %age, which will go up. Once you get closer you can revert to Navigate-To the Supercharger, to get pre-conditioning on, and see if you are comfortable with the revised predicted arrival %age.

There's been a recent thread about this where pre-conditioning seems to be coming on very early; debatable if that is a bug, or Tesla wanting to maximise battery temperature by arrival and thereby reduce the dwell time to free up the stall "soonest". Pretty sure that pre-condition didn't use to start that far out.

Reactions: hairysteve
If you want to you can navigate-to somewhere else, nearby, to prevent pre-condition ... CONSUMPTION (on the TRIP tab) will show predicted arrival %age, which will go up. Once you get closer you can revert to Navigate-To the Supercharger, to get pre-conditioning on, and see if you are comfortable with the revised predicted arrival %age.

There's been a recent thread about this where pre-conditioning seems to be coming on very early; debatable if that is a bug, or Tesla wanting to maximise battery temperature by arrival and thereby reduce the dwell time to free up the stall "soonest". Pretty sure that pre-condition didn't use to start that far out.
Appreciate your input and will use your suggeation. Loads to learn 😎

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Wow, I really feel cheated! I get a car allowance (rather than having a company car) too but that's towards buying/maintaining a car not the actual running costs. The mileage rates for petrol/diesel are something like 18p/mile (for comparison). I'm really hoping that they up them to something more reasonable when they review them in April (I've already complained to HR).

For those of you who use your EVs for business miles how much do you get back per mile?

I get 6p/mile (which is above the current government recommendation on 5p/mile) and based on my average kWhrs/mile I reckon I'm making a loss if I have to pay more than circa 23p/kWhr. This mean I may need to take my husband's ICE car for the longer journeys where I need to charge enroute or in areas where there isn't suitable destination chargers. I've used up all my free supercharger miles now and have got some long journeys coming up over the next month so have started doing the maths and it isn't looking pretty.
Gov recomended rate is 45p for private cars
But employeers can pay more but has tax implications.

No company cars with my employer so all employees use their own private car for any biz use.

Ours works like this

25p per mile + car allowance for the regular biz miles drivers (field sales/ field engineering)

45p and no car allowance for occasional biz miles drivers.

I've only had my M3 since Sept but I've noticed a difference in battery warming times, it kicked in about 10-15 mins before we got to the supercharger in Sept. It was 3 hours (just after I set off) last time, I don't think I would have made it if I'd let it do it's own thing :(

I thought I could claim the difference in tax between 6p and 45p - I'm on car allowance not company car. The government has totally screwed us over if I can't.