Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does your electricity cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on a time of use plan with Southern California Edison. If I wait until 10pm to charge I pay .10/kWh. I’ve been logging all of my trips using TeslaFi to keep track of how much it is costing me to drive the car.

On a recent road trip to Palm Springs, it shows I drove 107 miles for $2.07. It shows 193 Wh/mi, 110% efficiency.

Does this sound correct? How is it possible that I could drive 107 miles for only $2.07? Am I miscalculating something or is it really that inexpensive to drive my M3? It’s a LR RWD model.

It just seems too good to be true, but if it is true, this car is just absolutely amazing.

At $0.10 kw/h that’s dirt cheap. I pay $0.24 kw/h which would be like $5.00 to go 107 miles. Which is good but nothing that super. Thank goodness I have solar otherwise it would be very hard to just an EV. Although I’m not sure how much Solar Capacity I’ll have to cover all EV Charging.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Yeah - the 3 is a little more efficient than the S (as it is now - old school batteries). Rumored refresh hopefully will improve that.
Last summer, went across Death Valley - even with the heat I was doing 160 ish Wh/mile. Won't post pics, but later that day was down to 33 Wh/mile crossing Yosemite - enabling me to do 400 + miles on that leg (gotta love regen - 10,000 ft to sea level).

Batteries are not the 3 efficiency gain, it is a different type of motor, a smaller car and a few other things.

The S is getting a similar motor at one end giving a nice range boost, was announced in the last week.

One other thing to add not necessary for the sake of this conversation but for when folks search and find it. If you live in a cold climate heating eats heavily into your "savings" during those months especially if short tripping for those miles. At 65f on my 7mile drive to work my S can see 270wh/m, a cold January morning(Green Bay area) without a preheat from the wall and it will spike over 800 and settle back to 730 by the time I park and that is not capturing charging losses or pack heating to charge. I just want it noted so others reading don't get caught off guard when they use these numbers to calculate ownership cost in Duluth. Also I would bet the 3 is not as bad as the S but it is still going to be a big jump once things go sub-zero.

Reactions: brkaus
I’m running both TeslaFi and Stats and I’m noticing a significant amount of vampire drain. I’ve started playing with the sleep settings on TeslaFi but I’m not sure how to find the balance between the most efficient settings and not preventing it from logging my trips. Has anyone found the right balance?

I’m running both TeslaFi and Stats and I’m noticing a significant amount of vampire drain. I’ve started playing with the sleep settings on TeslaFi but I’m not sure how to find the balance between the most efficient settings and not preventing it from logging my trips. Has anyone found the right balance?

Running both is asking for trouble.

I switched to none. And the past 2 weeks has seen the least vampire drain since a bought the car 6 months ago. 1-2 miles a day, as it’s supposed to be.

Reactions: brkaus
I’m on a time of use plan with Southern California Edison. If I wait until 10pm to charge I pay .10/kWh. I’ve been logging all of my trips using TeslaFi to keep track of how much it is costing me to drive the car.

On a recent road trip to Palm Springs, it shows I drove 107 miles for $2.07. It shows 193 Wh/mi, 110% efficiency.

Does this sound correct? How is it possible that I could drive 107 miles for only $2.07? Am I miscalculating something or is it really that inexpensive to drive my M3? It’s a LR RWD model.

It just seems too good to be true, but if it is true, this car is just absolutely amazing.
The arithmetic is certainly ballpark.

I pay 11.5 cents a kWh and my lifetime consumption during driving is 217 Wh/mile so my per mile cost is
11.5*0.217 = 2.5 cents a mile before accounting for vampire and charging losses. I figure about 3 cents a mile all inclusive.

=============
My electric company has an electric vehicle time of day plan that is as low as 5 cents KWH with a max of 14 cents per KWH during the time of heaviest demand.

And that's for the whole house air conditioning included, not just for the car.