Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much Premium would you Pay for AP1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to get feedback from the group as how much premium would you be willing to pay for AP1. So if you have two identical cars: one with AP1 and one without, how much more would you be willing to pay for the one with AP1.

I am looking at 2014 S85 cars and there seems to be a big premium for cars with AP1.

Thanks!!

What is the price differential you are seeing? To me it is worth about a $5k price difference or less I would guess.

I have one car without AP and one car with AP1. I loooooove TACC on the AP car - it is awesome and worth a premium. Autosteer is good, but that will be highly dependent on what types of roads you are driving daily as to how much it matters to you. I find I have to hold the steering wheel in an uncomfortable way (more tightly) than I would when normal driving, to not get nags, so I find it a bit annoying. But I am a petite female. My husband has no issues.

I will say, you get the extra safety features when you go AP - forward collision alert, AEB, etc. which may be worth a premium to you depending on your needs. My husband drives the AP1 car, and I am glad he has the extra safety features since its a P85D, and he likes to fully use the "P" part pretty often.

Autopilot is definitely a must for me, although I haven't really assigned a value to it. Since it can't really be retrofitted easily, I'd probably be willing to pay more than the original $2,500 option if it came on a car that was perfectly equipped to my tastes.

Am seeing about a 5K difference but that's a limited sample to say the least. It's not like there were a lot of RWD AP1 cars made, relative to what came before *and* after, the latter with AWD and hence the microfrunk.

The real unicorns (P85+ w/AP1) seem to fare the best, which makes sense, along with anything low-mileage *with* the ESA. Although in fairness if through the CPO route, the ESA is included.

Unless and until AP2, EAP, and FWD are seen in the wild with, say, stop sign reaction and parity with AP1, in my mind the car to own is a lower-mileage AP1 RWD car with an ESA to 100,000 miles.

Once AP3/FWD actually happen, well, then that would be a nice time to upgrade.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
I personally think that it's higher than most people have been stating here. I've been glued to the CPO listings for the past 6 weeks. Currently the cheapest CPO car with AP1 is a 2015 S60 for $62,400. This particular 60 has a pano roof, but no other options. I personally think that AP1 is more of a $8,000 premium if I had to put a number on it. Again, solely basing off of CPO pricing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
I personally think that it's higher than most people have been stating here. I've been glued to the CPO listings for the past 6 weeks. Currently the cheapest CPO car with AP1 is a 2015 S60 for $62,400. This particular 60 has a pano roof, but no other options. I personally think that AP1 is more of a $8,000 premium if I had to put a number on it. Again, solely basing off of CPO pricing.
I have one that's $52K in the for sale section (CPO). ;)

P53347 vs. P49956
For $1,200 more you get AP1, Air Suspension, Dual Charger, and 20% less miles, but stock black paint instead of grey metallic. Draw your own conclusions as to how much AP1 is worth out of that price difference, however no way is it worth any more than $1,000 on a CPO.

I'm not dissing AP1, just stating some pricing facts. If you're interested in my personal opinion, I would be willing to pay up to $750 for AP1 for *my car* but would not want AP1 or EAP in its current state for my wife's car, as she is not a techie and I would see AP1 or EAP a potential hazard (IMO she would start trusting it too much and end up in an accident - almost happened to me and I'm an engineer who works on things like this so I should know better). I would pay $250 for TACC (but no auto-steer) for her car. Will pay Tesla $10K for FSD if Elon delivers on his promises, i.e. the car can drop be off at the airport, go back home, come pick me up a week later when I come back from a business trip - all while I am in the back seat, nobody in the driver's seat.

Reminder with AP1 it's not just the Traffic Aware Cruise Control and actual autopilot (lane keeping) features. The hardware also unlocked advanced safety features (such as the radar to detect a car crash as far as two cars in front of you).

In looking at CPO cars, I'd say

AP1 hardware is a premium (I've seen 1 or 2 with AP1 hardware without AP1 convenience features active)
AP1 Convenience features is a premium

I think in terms of "pure" bluebook value, there's a small bump in value (probably just a straight line depreciation from the initial retail price in line with everything else)

In terms of demand (and practical value), an AP1 2014 will sell much much quicker than a non AP1 2014. It's the first question on any 2014 Tesla posted on here if its not mentioned. It's probably a 10% bump in value vs a comparable non AP1.

I'm chiming in on this discussion to remind all that there are some people - in general, I would say, older and most definitely not typical of the crowd that infests populates TMC - who atavistically shun anything in an auto resembling auto-anything.

This is not a small subset of the US car-buying public, either - I daren't extrapolate to other countries. Regardless, given their existence, the price differential between AP1-2 and non-AP vehicles will be smaller than seems to be suggested by those replying above and extolling the virtues of the AP features.

Would love to get feedback from the group as how much premium would you be willing to pay for AP1. So if you have two identical cars: one with AP1 and one without, how much more would you be willing to pay for the one with AP1.

I am looking at 2014 S85 cars and there seems to be a big premium for cars with AP1.

Thanks!!

I personally think that it's higher than most people have been stating here. I've been glued to the CPO listings for the past 6 weeks. .

I would agree that cars with AP1 are worth more than the original 2500$ option price......and as with gooch I also am glued to the CPO site daily.

Anyone noticed Tesla has pulled most of the CPO's off the site????

Today I count 10. Yesterday it was 8 expensive P85D's.That bodes well for the private party used market.

An older RWD with AP1 should be quite a draw. Especially a P85 AP1 car or a P85+ AP1 car.

Reactions: thegooch49
Reminder with AP1 it's not just the Traffic Aware Cruise Control and actual autopilot (lane keeping) features. The hardware also unlocked advanced safety features (such as the radar to detect a car crash as far as two cars in front of you).

In looking at CPO cars, I'd say

AP1 hardware is a premium (I've seen 1 or 2 with AP1 hardware without AP1 convenience features active)
AP1 Convenience features is a premium

I think in terms of "pure" bluebook value, there's a small bump in value (probably just a straight line depreciation from the initial retail price in line with everything else)

In terms of demand (and practical value), an AP1 2014 will sell much much quicker than a non AP1 2014. It's the first question on any 2014 Tesla posted on here if its not mentioned. It's probably a 10% bump in value vs a comparable non AP1.
I wouldn't extrapolate what people on a fan forum say the car is worth to actual selling price. Best to look at what the cars are actually selling for, rather than ask people who already paid $5,000 for EAP, or really want it - of course in their mind it's worth it and then some (there is a psychological bias we all have, which makes us value things we have more than before we had them). Another interesting trend I noticed when people commenting on here, most will tell you to only buy cars same vintage or newer than what they have - somehow they see older Tesla's inferior.

I wouldn't extrapolate what people on a fan forum say the car is worth to actual selling price. Best to look at what the cars are actually selling for, rather than ask people who already paid $5,000 for EAP, or really want it .

Agreed except lots of times we don't know what they actually sold for.
IMO the best comparison is to compare a private party sale to the same car on Tesla's CPO site and deduct accordingly. Roughly 8K or so unless the private seller still has the warranty.

Reactions: thegooch49
Agreed except lots of times we don't know what they actually sold for.
IMO the best comparison is to compare a private party sale to the same car on Tesla's CPO site and deduct accordingly. Roughly 8K or so unless the private seller still has the warranty.
Why would a buyer buy from private party and pay $8K for AP if Tesla CPO only costs $1K extra? The $7K would likely offset the difference of CPO vs. Private party, and get you the CPO warranty.