Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much are you willing to pay for FSD V12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a “fully working” non beta FSD(v12) soon to be release, maybe in the next 1 - 2 yrs. How much are you willing to pay for it? I feel the original price of $5k is reasonable, $15k isn’t, unless you turn your tesla into a taxi, some sort of automated delivery service vehicle or something which makes money for you.

I think, just guessing, at $15k maybe less than 5% would purchase FSD. At $5k maybe around 20% - 30% would purchase it? So in the end Tesla could make more profit selling it at its original price. The subscription I feel is just money lost which doesn’t add to the vehicles resale value.

Define "fully working". I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for any Level 2 system as a non-standard feature. There is no time returned (as in I can do other things than driving) , so it's only a highway convenience feature not matter how you look at it. It's too stressful to monitor a system that has no reliability guarantees among vulnerable road users, so there is no point in using it anywhere else unless it can be trusted to work. Which FSD will never be at given the current progress.

I'd pay maybe $3k or so if it was a system that could take me from home to my son's school to work, and back the other way, by itself without having to hold steering wheel pressure or constantly watch for nags even when I'm paying close attention. If I can sit watchfully with my hands in my lap while it does those things, I'll pay.

I'd pay $500 for basic autopilot that didn't do steering wheel nags and automatically reengaged after a manual lane change.

I feel the original price of $5k is reasonable

What "original price of 5k." are you talking about?

In 2018 when I bought my model 3, Tesla did not offer "Autopilot". They only offered enhanced autopilot and FSD. Purchasing FSD back then was gated to buying EAP. The price of EAP was 5K, and FSD was an additional 3k on top of that so the total to get FSD was 8k.

Was there a price of 5k before that that did not require the purchase of eap (dont think so but not sure)?

This is a pet peeve of mine, where people who purchased it when I did like to say "I bought FSD for 3k (or in my case, since I bought the FSD add on when tesla briefly discounted it to 2k, "I bought FSD for 2k"). But, I didnt, though. It was gated to already having a 5k EAP add on, so my price was 7k.

There was no AP, so if you didnt buy EAP you got no lane keeping features at all.

What "original price of 5k." are you talking about?

In 2018 when I bought my model 3, Tesla did not offer "Autopilot". They only offered enhanced autopilot and FSD. Purchasing FSD back then was gated to buying EAP. The price of EAP was 5K, and FSD was an additional 3k on top of that so the total to get FSD was 8k.

Well, $8k total for FSD is overpriced. I still think $5k or lower will get more buyers.

With a “fully working” non beta FSD(v12) soon to be release, maybe in the next 1 - 2 yrs. How much are you willing to pay for it? I feel the original price of $5k is reasonable, $15k isn’t, unless you turn your tesla into a taxi, some sort of automated delivery service vehicle or something which makes money for you.

I think, just guessing, at $15k maybe less than 5% would purchase FSD. At $5k maybe around 20% - 30% would purchase it? So in the end Tesla could make more profit selling it at its original price. The subscription I feel is just money lost which doesn’t add to the vehicles resale value.

It does not matter what you would pay for it. Tesla will sell out all its level 5 FSD cars for robotaxi use (own and customers) and Tesla will also sell out all retrofits to other compatible vehicles. The market price for it will be very high based on supply and demand (Tesla monopoly). Whenever you personally need FSD you can simply call a "Tesla FSD Uber" at a lower unit cost than owning it yourself. So you don't really need to worry about owning it.

Tesla will probably improve the "Enhanced Autopilot" to be a very good levels 3-4 without taking liability and sell it at some reasonable price point to upgrade from the TACC lanekeep autopilot.

It is possible though that Elon meant levels 3-4 with FSD v12 but I haven't read the contract what it promises about FSD when it is ready.

First this is asking about pricing on fairy dust. Elon is just being Elon and offering off the cuff aspirational thoughts responding to a Tweet. Sometimes I believe the super smart part of his brain is time delayed from the mouth controller. Just saying V12 will come out of Beta has 0 context, 0 specifics and 0 details so could mean 100,000 different things or more likely nothing at all.

The price is unlikely go down until someone offers a competing system with similar capabilities at a lower price.
That could be true, but Tesla is also after profit that is why they lowered their EV prices not because there where competing EVs at their prices, but to increase sales and profits.

FSD is another way to tap into their millions of customers for even more profit.

You will get a lot of pushback on this assumption. Elon never indicated V12 would be L4, only that Beta label is removed. FSD Beta currently is purely a L2 system with zero indication of any near term plans to go beyond that.
This is probably close. Most likely he means it will just be a feature included in all software releases and you do not have to request. FSD will still be labeled as Beta. Hell Autosteer is still Beta along with just about every other feature.