Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much are you willing to pay for FSD V12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla will eventually need to split the service.

1. As a private drivers aid - probably $5k (or maybe on a per km subscription)

2. As a rideshare service, integrated into a platform (Tesla's or Uber/Lyft), but still requiring driver for supervision (for regulatory reasons) or to charge/ handle difficult areas. - maybe $20k

3. As a fully autonomous integrated rideshare service, including automated charging and a team of technicians who can take over - $$$$
Is this a joke? You might as well speculate in what tech Batman uses.

First they need to actually deliver autonomy and get from 10-15 miles per disengagement to something closer to 100 000 miles. This will happen either by upcoming break-throughs in computer vision in the coming years or decades, or by adding more and better sensors with built-in cleaning. Probably both, and by 2040.

Reactions: Genie
Thanks for sticking with me through the explanation. Part of my difficulty in understanding was that my mind couldn't accept that you were really after such a feature :) If conditions are so challenging that Autosteer cannot handle it, then I'm not going to be holding a line with my knee, or even an automated knee.

Mercedes actually seems to have it:

At 15:00 "so even though it is completely driving itself without any audible alert I can easily make it go where I want it to go without disengaging it and it's still engaged".

That is useful.

Mercedes actually seems to have it:

At 15:00 "so even though it is completely driving itself without any audible alert I can easily make it go where I want it to go without disengaging it and it's still engaged".

That is useful.
It's not doing what you were asking for (holding a steering position), instead it continually changes the position as necessary (just like AP), just that you can add input without disengaging (AP disengages after you go beyond a certain amount of adjustment). As others mentioned, if the car holds a steering position, given the road changes, it will eventually run off the road, which is why few people understand why you would want such a function.

It's not doing what you were asking for (holding a steering position), instead it continually changes the position as necessary (just like AP), just that you can add input without disengaging (AP disengages after you go beyond a certain amount of adjustment). As others mentioned, if the car holds a steering position, given the road changes, it will eventually run off the road, which is why few people understand why you would want such a function.

In my perspective it is all the same and an insignificant difference, since I mostly wouldn't be letting go of the steering wheel, but I would be relaxing my hands, as currently the car pulls very strongly and I must use quite some force to keep it going straight. But I want to decide the direction and position. Just look at how easily he steers the MB while the car keeps the course.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbldwn02
In my perspective it is all the same and an insignificant difference, since I mostly wouldn't be letting go of the steering wheel, but I would be relaxing my hands, as currently the car pulls very strongly and I must use quite some force to keep it going straight. But I want to decide the direction and position. Just look at how easily he steers the MB while the car keeps the course.
Same goes for my Ioniq5. It's buttery smooth but it does tend to drift to the center line more than I would like. Just kind of pull it back a little and all is well.

In my perspective it is all the same and an insignificant difference, since I mostly wouldn't be letting go of the steering wheel, but I would be relaxing my hands, as currently the car pulls very strongly and I must use quite some force to keep it going straight. But I want to decide the direction and position.
It's a significant difference from both design and from how people understand your point. If you meant a function where the car still controls where it is going (meaning it will change steering positions as necessary), but you just help it along, I think people can understand that as a useful feature. That is a different function that what you originally described which is a "knee on wheel" function where it just holds a steering position, most people find this as a useless function for them.

Actually I do wish I could do what the MB does so I could avoid potholes and manhole covers that are typically sunk a few inches.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger and Genie
It's a significant difference from both design and from how people understand your point. If you meant a function where the car still controls where it is going (meaning it will change steering positions as necessary), but you just help it along, I think people can understand that as a useful feature. That is a different function that what you originally described which is a "knee on wheel" function where it just holds a steering position, most people find this as a useless function for them.

Both are sufficient for me so if they can cater a greater audience with a better solution optional mode similar to MB is all merrier, avoiding potholes and the like.

Same goes for my Ioniq5. It's buttery smooth but it does tend to drift to the center line more than I would like. Just kind of pull it back a little and all is well.

The model 3 pulls very hard (should be worse on the Y, haven't tried new S/X), it's probably the grippy sports tires which are quite wide (studded winter tires do not exhibit this issue at all because they do not have similar grip on asphalt), they probably take their toll on the joints also, but I remember it was like this already when it was new. Ofcourse it's getting worse over time as I'm already at 50k miles and hope wheels won't fall off.

Last edited: