Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much should it cost to change out the wall charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wall charger is about 5 years old now and I want to replace the current one with a newer one -- my electrician wants to charge me $1,000 to change it out but I feel like that is way too high. Maybe that is the cost of installing a brand new one, but mine just needs to be changed out. Has anyone changed out theres yet and how much did it cost?

• Funny
Reactions: Bill Price
I replaced one Gen 1 with two, daisy chained Gen 2's and did all the work of running new wiring and conduit myself and it didn't cost me a fraction of that in materials That price is insane for just swapping one out for another.

Here's a pic of my setup before I closed the wall:

Wall chargers.jpg

Sounds like he's assuming Tesla=more money than brains. If you're just having him show up and change a charger, it shouldn't cost more than an hour's labor.
Honestly, I bet you have a friend or family member handy enough to change it out for a pack of beer.

Reactions: Sharkdiver76
My wall charger is about 5 years old now and I want to replace the current one with a newer one -- my electrician wants to charge me $1,000 to change it out but I feel like that is way too high. Maybe that is the cost of installing a brand new one, but mine just needs to be changed out. Has anyone changed out theres yet and how much did it cost?
Sounds like your electrician doesn't want to do the jog, so gives an absurd price for doing so.
Dependent on how busy they are, they may have to give up that much business to do it.

Find another electrician.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Sounds like your electrician doesn't want to do the jog, so gives an absurd price for doing so.
Dependent on how busy they are, they may have to give up that much business to do it.

Find another electrician.

Exactly. The electrician is too busy and doesn't need/want your business, so throws out an outrageous quote. (Else, you did not make clear that the work effort is not much more than swapping out an existing receptacle.)

WOW, yep, about an hour charge. $100 max unless they have 9 hours travel time LOL. I wouldn't hire them. Pretty simple to change out as others have said. Just turn off the breaker first! I was an electrician before retiring so, find an honest person to do it, or a handy friend. It really is not complicated. Heck, if I lived close, I'd do it for an In-N-Out burger & a shake.

Reactions: Saxgod