Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much to paint Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Instead of getting a non-black color for $1000, I'm considering getting black + a custom paint job. I have no idea of all the options (paint vs wrap), but how much will the different options cost me (in the Bay Area) for decent quality work (does not have to be fancy, just not crappy)? And what would you suggest?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Im east-coast but I'm doing this as well...as far as getting black and then deciding what, if anything I do from there.

Was quoted $3200 full wrap + $1200 full ceramic seal / never wax the car again. Still shopping though.
I'm not likely to go for the full wrap, might just dip or wrap the rims and/or chrome...
I love the idea of the ceramic seal but you have to get the car just right before doing that because it's not easy to change again.

Painting properly is very labour intensive. Removing and refitting all the trim, prepping surfaces and correcting defects all takes time. I suspect you'd be able to wrap the car several times for the cost of one decent full respray with quality paint.

I have a wrap (clear) that the previous owner put on my 2013. It isn’t the highest quality wrap material, and it is still going strong 4 years later.

And I do abuse it by taking my car through a touch car wash at Costco.
I assume the wrap keeps you from getting the swirl scratches? If so, I might go for black with a clear wrap (except black out trim). This way I wouldn't be afraid to run it through the car wash frequently.

I assume the wrap keeps you from getting the swirl scratches? If so, I might go for black with a clear wrap (except black out trim). This way I wouldn't be afraid to run it through the car wash frequently.

Yes, it also protects against small scuffs and scratches. If a portion of the wrap gets damaged, you just go have that piece replaced.

Instead of getting a non-black color for $1000, I'm considering getting black + a custom paint job. I have no idea of all the options (paint vs wrap), but how much will the different options cost me (in the Bay Area) for decent quality work (does not have to be fancy, just not crappy)? And what would you suggest?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Five years ago we bought our first Model S. Tesla was experimenting in custom paint. They put all panels on a special trailer, took it to a paint shop, did our color, and charged us $12,000. On later checking, I found that to do it right with the car already built, it would have been much more, with destroyed trim, glass, taking apart pieces and putting them back.

There was nothing fancy about it. Just custom paint, then assembly. I expect it's more by now.

In my experience with repainted panels, bumpers and entire cars you will never get close to OEM factory paint. I’ve had entire cars stripped and painted by pros. The paint is never as strong as original. It chips far easier, there is always some overspray issues. Looks great when it’s first done but never weathers as well as OEM over time. AND this is if you are repainting with the identical original color. A color change? Door jams, trunk/frunk jams and hinge areas will drive you nuts. Color change from black? A Nightmare.

In my experience with repainted panels, bumpers and entire cars you will never get close to OEM factory paint. I’ve had entire cars stripped and painted by pros. The paint is never as strong as original. It chips far easier, there is always some overspray issues. Looks great when it’s first done but never weathers as well as OEM over time. AND this is if you are repainting with the identical original color. A color change? Door jams, trunk/frunk jams and hinge areas will drive you nuts. Color change from black? A Nightmare.

There are a few shops near me that offer a lifetime guarantee on their work (assuming most people will sell their car in a few years).