Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How noticeable is the acceleration boost from a dual motor long range to a performance Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with P as 99% of the driving I do day to day is below 110km/hr or 70 mph. I also bought an inventory car as I was originally debating a stealth when they were available on menu at the time. If I lived near a city like Chicago or something where everyone goes about 85mph on the highway regularly, that extra speed from a stand still wouldn’t be so relevant. All three cars (awd awd+ and performance) have pretty much identical acceleration up past 90 with everything between 70-90 being such a small difference anyone wouldn’t notice.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I went with P as 99% of the driving I do day to day is below 110km/hr or 70 mph. I also bought an inventory car as I was originally debating a stealth when they were available on menu at the time. If I lived near a city like Chicago or something where everyone goes about 85mph on the highway regularly, that extra speed from a stand still wouldn’t be so relevant. All three cars (awd awd+ and performance) have pretty much identical acceleration up past 90 with everything between 70-90 being such a small difference anyone wouldn’t notice.

Don't forget track mode. Even hard canyon driving will make the car battery heat up quick. Its a great option for performance enthusiasts.

I didn't have that option, as it was already on the car.

De-badging is a fairly simple process if you are interested. Heat the area with a hair dryer or heat gun, work some floss or fishing line under the badge, saw away at the adhesive until the badge is off, and clean up any remaining adhesive with Goo-Gone. Abstract Ocean has a video covering how to remove the "T" logo.
Tesla Performance Emblem (2nd Gen)

• Informative
Reactions: JBT66 and tvad
Thank you.

So, if one were looking on the Tesla site at an otherwise typical used Dual Motor Long Range (18" wheels, no spoiler, etc), then an underlined badge rear Dual Motor badge would be a good indicator of a P Stealth.
not sure how the P3 compares to a non P3 but my P85 is really really slow in comparison.
definitely need to check the screen...this is mine before the letters came off a couple of days later when I washer her. they peel off pretty easy

IMG_2752.JPG

• Informative
not sure how the P3 compares to a non P3 but my P85 is really really slow in comparison.

A P85 is slower even compared to a non-boosted AWD these days (roughly 4.2 vs 3.9 0-60)

The P85D however is within .1 of a P3 (3.1 vs 3.0) and a P85D with ludicrous is slightly quicker than a P3 (2.8 vs 3.0)

The AWD+ being right in the middle at 3.5

Anyway this puts the P3 at roughly the 5th quickest Tesla ever made to 60, and the AWD+ in 9th place

P100D (2.28), Model S P90D-L (2.8), Model S P85D-L(2.8), Model X P100D

Model 3 Performance (3.0)

Model S P90D and P85D (without ludicrous) (3.1)
Model X P90D (3.2)

Model 3 LR AWD+ (3.5)

After that I think there's only the non-P versions of the S100D and S90D (3.6 and 3.75) before we get to the Model 3 LR AWD at 3.9

Or even in the Tesla world.

Very true. If you're just trying to jump from 5th fastest (P3D) to 4th (XP100D), that's a $42,700 jump. (Brand new on both, no FSD, since that has no bearing on performance).

The bargains in this thought exercise are the SP90D-L and SP85D-L. Cheapest 85 on ev-cpo.com right now is $48,400. But you'd be giving up things like AP hardware level, charging speed, and range.

Cheapest 90 is $57,800.

So yes, you can get some Teslas that are faster straight-line than a Model 3, but you have to be willing to sacrifice some things. It's a matter of what you value.

For me......I think the P3D is that "sweet spot" of range, tech, charging speed, and acceleration.

Very true. If you're just trying to jump from 5th fastest (P3D) to 4th (XP100D), that's a $42,700 jump. (Brand new on both, no FSD, since that has no bearing on performance).

The bargains in this thought exercise are the SP90D-L and SP85D-L. Cheapest 85 on ev-cpo.com right now is $48,400. But you'd be giving up things like AP hardware level, charging speed, and range.

Cheapest 90 is $57,800.

So yes, you can get some Teslas that are faster straight-line than a Model 3, but you have to be willing to sacrifice some things. It's a matter of what you value.

For me......I think the P3D is that "sweet spot" of range, tech, charging speed, and acceleration.

The handling on the Model S is uninspiring at best. not something i'd like to daily to be honest. What really attracted me to the Model 3 was the simplicity of the car itself and insurance is pretty reasonable for it.

• Informative
Yup, agreed. It'll at least hold me over until my three motor Cybertruck gets delivered. :D

We've decided after much consternation, that I get to keep my Stealthy 3, and my wife will be making the leap from a Chevy Colorado to the Cybertruck. I keep dropping hints that she needs tri-motor. Not sure how much headway I'm making. She seems kinda set on Dual for now.

I need someone to get a hold of a Tri-motor and bring it to the drag strip so I can show her.........

Reactions: Phlier