TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How often do you Max Battery?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SDRick, Aug 16, 2016.

1. SDRick

SDRick Member

For those with the Max battery setting, how often do you use it? Any downside from leaving it on for extended periods other than reduced mileage?

2. Don85D

Don85D Member

The upper range of charging capacity to 100% is called Trip range for a reason. We use it when we are on a road trip and the car is being used every day so it doesn't sit at full charge capacity for long. I consider the process of lower charing limit for daily driving and a max limit for trips to be part of how the car needs to work. There should be no downside when on a road trip.

Our battery is large enough that we would never need full capacity for our daily driving requirements. I don't want to find out in five years that I have ruined the battery by keeping it at 100%.

• Like x 2
  3. javawolfpack

javawolfpack Member

Same here, on daily driving I don't need the added range. The lithium batteries last longer if you keep them around 50% charged... so even though I have a software limited 75kWh and there is less of a problem with fully charging to 100% the software limited amount constantly, still better for the battery overall to not do it.

But at the end of the day, my daily driving doesn't require the extra range.

4. cmorgan

cmorgan Member

I've turned it on a few times but never let it complete. If it increased available power I might consider trying it out though. I'm waiting to see who else replies here.

5. Mike K

Mike K Member

I think a few here are confusing a 100% charge for max battery mode on the ludicrous cars which I believe is what the OP is referring to.

On the loaner I had I noticed it cranked up the cooling fans to full blast almost right away. What is the advantage to using max battery? Is it just to squeeze out absolutely every last amp? The loaner I had with Ludicrous on and Max Battery off was still oppressively fast.

• Funny x 1
  6. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

I think OP is talking about "Max Battery" on the PxxD screen, not range charging.

From what little I've read here, Max Battery heats up the battery to get the most power out of it. (Something to do with heat and chemical reactions?) My guess is it's bad for longevity.

• Like x 2
  7. SDRick

SDRick Member

Yes, there is a button on my screen that says "Max battery". I have had the car for about one month and didn't realize this was a feature. It does seem to have a discernible effect on acceleration. According to a few other threads, not only does "Max Battery" try to obtain and maintain the optimum temperature for the battery, some are saying it also allows a higher amp draw.

Whatever it is, it is noticeable and I like the effect. Just wondering what the downside is.

8. javawolfpack

javawolfpack Member

@Brass Guy is correct, the issue would be long term battery degradation... similar to 100% charging your vehicle everyday vs only charging to the daily charge limits.

9. SDRick

SDRick Member

Intuitively one might think that the Max battery setting could lead to additional battery degradation. Is there any actual support for this theory? One could argue that providing optimum temperature for the battery (at the expense of range) may not be a bad thing (for the battery).

• Helpful x 1
  10. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

I tried it twice when it came available. Never used/needed it since. Seemed annoying with the fans blaring and I didn't notice any perceivable performance so I haven't touched it since.

11. kort677

kort677 Active Member

you can forget your intuition, tesla recommends that unless you need the extra range it is preferable to charge only to 90% of capacity on a regular basis. in the event you do need the added range it is ok to charge the car to 100% but be certain to not allow the car to remain at that level for long periods of time, leaving your car at 100% is probably the most detrimental things that you could do that affects the health of the battery.
    people should read the manual, there's some very good insights regarding your car found there.

• Dislike x 1
  12. tstafford

tstafford Member

Not sure what you mean by this, but the charge level and performance are highly correlated.

• Like x 1
  13. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

I believe you are also (see the first 5-6 posts in this thread) confusing 100% battery charge with the feature on PxxD cars named "Max Battery" which does supposedly increase performance.

To your comment though I do notice a significant performance difference when at 90% SOC compared to 30% SOC.

• Like x 1
  14. SDRick

SDRick Member

#14 SDRick, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    It appears that some are confusing "Max Battery" and charging to a high SOC like 100%.

The Max Battery setting conditions or prepares the battery for maximum performance by providing the optimum battery temperature.

15. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Very rarely. Perhaps 10 times, max, over the past two years. Just rarely need it.

16. BillyBob99

BillyBob99 Member

I believe max battery is required for launch mode. This is the only time that I've used max battery. Strange thing is you can use launch mode before the battery reaches optimum temp. Don't quite understand that. But it takes a long time ~ 20-25 mins to reach that temp

17. SDRick

SDRick Member

Max battery is not required for launch mode. Max battery is required to achieve maximum performance. Apparently it gets the battery to the optimal temperature for maximum energy flow to the motor. I have also read that launch mode software may allow extra (or maximum) throughput from the battery to the motor.

18. cbin97

cbin97 Member

My car will not engage Launch Mode unless max Battery is turned on. I use it about once or twice a week when I feel like being extra punchy. I definitely notice more power especially at passing speeds when I have a fully warmed battery. I used it all afternoon yesterday when I demo'd the car to my friend with a ZO6, as we were using launch mode over and over.

19. SDRick

SDRick Member

I will have to check mine again. I cannot remember if I've tried launch mode without the Max battery setting set to on although I'm sure launch mode works before the battery is ready.

What did your friend with the ZO6 think?

20. BillyBob99

BillyBob99 Member

Launch mode will not engage without max battery.
    You have to follow the proscribed steps and "launch mode" must appear on instrument panel.

From owner's manual:

To Activate Launch Mode

Before activating Launch Mode, it is recommended that the brakes are slightly warm by driving for a few minutes and using the brakes a few times.

1. Set the acceleration level to Insane or Ludicrous and enable Max Battery Power