Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you Max Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The upper range of charging capacity to 100% is called Trip range for a reason. We use it when we are on a road trip and the car is being used every day so it doesn't sit at full charge capacity for long. I consider the process of lower charing limit for daily driving and a max limit for trips to be part of how the car needs to work. There should be no downside when on a road trip.

Our battery is large enough that we would never need full capacity for our daily driving requirements. I don't want to find out in five years that I have ruined the battery by keeping it at 100%.

Same here, on daily driving I don't need the added range. The lithium batteries last longer if you keep them around 50% charged... so even though I have a software limited 75kWh and there is less of a problem with fully charging to 100% the software limited amount constantly, still better for the battery overall to not do it.

But at the end of the day, my daily driving doesn't require the extra range.

I think a few here are confusing a 100% charge for max battery mode on the ludicrous cars which I believe is what the OP is referring to.

On the loaner I had I noticed it cranked up the cooling fans to full blast almost right away. What is the advantage to using max battery? Is it just to squeeze out absolutely every last amp? The loaner I had with Ludicrous on and Max Battery off was still oppressively fast.

• Funny
Reactions: Caligula
Yes, there is a button on my screen that says "Max battery". I have had the car for about one month and didn't realize this was a feature. It does seem to have a discernible effect on acceleration. According to a few other threads, not only does "Max Battery" try to obtain and maintain the optimum temperature for the battery, some are saying it also allows a higher amp draw.

Whatever it is, it is noticeable and I like the effect. Just wondering what the downside is.

Yes, there is a button on my screen that says "Max battery". I have had the car for about one month and didn't realize this was a feature. It does seem to have a discernible effect on acceleration. According to a few other threads, not only does "Max Battery" try to obtain and maintain the optimum temperature for the battery, some are saying it also allows a higher amp draw.

Whatever it is, it is noticeable and I like the effect. Just wondering what the downside is.

@Brass Guy is correct, the issue would be long term battery degradation... similar to 100% charging your vehicle everyday vs only charging to the daily charge limits.

Intuitively one might think that the Max battery setting could lead to additional battery degradation. Is there any actual support for this theory? One could argue that providing optimum temperature for the battery (at the expense of range) may not be a bad thing (for the battery).

• Helpful
Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Intuitively one might think that the Max battery setting could lead to additional battery degradation. Is there any actual support for this theory? One could argue that providing optimum temperature for the battery (at the expense of range) may not be a bad thing (for the battery).
you can forget your intuition, tesla recommends that unless you need the extra range it is preferable to charge only to 90% of capacity on a regular basis. in the event you do need the added range it is ok to charge the car to 100% but be certain to not allow the car to remain at that level for long periods of time, leaving your car at 100% is probably the most detrimental things that you could do that affects the health of the battery.
people should read the manual, there's some very good insights regarding your car found there.

• Disagree
Reactions: DillyBop
fwiw: the battery level has very little to do with performance, it is about the range of the car.
I believe you are also (see the first 5-6 posts in this thread) confusing 100% battery charge with the feature on PxxD cars named "Max Battery" which does supposedly increase performance.

To your comment though I do notice a significant performance difference when at 90% SOC compared to 30% SOC.

Reactions: javawolfpack
I believe max battery is required for launch mode. This is the only time that I've used max battery. Strange thing is you can use launch mode before the battery reaches optimum temp. Don't quite understand that. But it takes a long time ~ 20-25 mins to reach that temp

Max battery is not required for launch mode. Max battery is required to achieve maximum performance. Apparently it gets the battery to the optimal temperature for maximum energy flow to the motor. I have also read that launch mode software may allow extra (or maximum) throughput from the battery to the motor.

My car will not engage Launch Mode unless max Battery is turned on. I use it about once or twice a week when I feel like being extra punchy. I definitely notice more power especially at passing speeds when I have a fully warmed battery. I used it all afternoon yesterday when I demo'd the car to my friend with a ZO6, as we were using launch mode over and over.

Launch mode will not engage without max battery.
You have to follow the proscribed steps and "launch mode" must appear on instrument panel.

From owner's manual:

To Activate Launch Mode

Before activating Launch Mode, it is recommended that the brakes are slightly warm by driving for a few minutes and using the brakes a few times.

1. Set the acceleration level to Insane or Ludicrous and enable Max Battery Power