Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often does your car wake up when parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While looking at TeslaFi I've noticed a pattern where my car will wake up by itself at least once per day. In the last couple of weeks it's been regular at 9:15-9:17 in the morning. Before that, the times were varying more. The change in wake time does not coincide with the latest software update. I know I have inadvertently started the mobile app sometimes (fat fingers) but those are exceptions. My car is parked in a garage at a regular temperature around 12C (54F), it is not plugged in most of the times. I do not have any charging or other schedules defined in the car. There is no schedule defined in TeslaFi either, controls are actually disabled. I am not using any other online service that talks to the Tesla API.

I'm presuming that the car just calls the mothership at least once per day but I would like to know what others are experiencing. If you are using TeslaFi or another service that can tell you when the car was awake, can you share your experiences? Thanks!

EDIT: Damn, just saw my title isn't written properly... "Hof" -> "How" :) I don't have the power to edit the title. Moderator?

(moderator note: title changed ;))

I have the opposite "problem". Once mine goes to sleep, it never wakes up unless I do something like open the app or go out and open a door, etc. Then it will wake up and send/receive small amounts of data for 30 minutes or so but once it goes back to sleep, it's basically in a coma until you "touch" it in some way.

Mike

Reactions: TexasTezla
@toolman335 , no one is talking about degradation here. There are thousands of such posts on the forum, this is not one of them. You don't have the curse of needing all the data, I'm happy for you. For the cursed ones like me, ScanMyTesla and TeslaFi satisfy most of the craving. In this particular case, it shows me that my car is waking up without me provoking it.

Reactions: Phlier
@toolman335 , no one is talking about degradation here. There are thousands of such posts on the forum, this is not one of them. You don't have the curse of needing all the data, I'm happy for you. For the cursed ones like me, ScanMyTesla and TeslaFi satisfy most of the craving. In this particular case, it shows me that my car is waking up without me provoking it.
The degradation topic goes hand in hand with people obsessing about third party App data and the car not sleeping. You're not provoking the car but it's pretty obvious what is! Delete all third party Apps and report back.

Your third party apps are what's waking up the car. You are causing the problem you are trying to solve.

Reactions: toolman335
My third party app MIGHT be causing the problem, I'll give you that much. Now, I did not talk about a problem and I didn't ask for help fixing it. I barely asked for feedback from other people to learn about their sleep/wake cycles. You need a tool like TeslaFi to monitor and report on this. It's possible that people that don't use a tool like this just don't know that their car wakes up regularly, but I'm not even asking about that.

So please, let's stay on topic. People that use such a tool, care to share your experience? Thanks!

Car sleeps for 24 hours then wakes for 14-16 mins *based on the time Tesla last interacted with it* to, for example, close the in-service flag at the end of the day I took my car home hours before, also gets woken when there's a software update being pushed.
I run Tesla Mate to record all this, Tesla Logger stops the car going to sleep for hours so I disable it unless driving or charging (I like the scan my tesla integration).
I also manage my charge against 1/2 hourly energy prices - I only wake the car to charge, it's well documented how to avoid waking the car, only badly written code wakes or keeps the car awake - I interrogate 'vehicle' when the car wakes or when I arrive home (wakes the car if asleep), I interrogate 'vehicles' every minute to see If the car's woken (does NOT wake the car, doesn't provide much detail) and the streaming API when logging (doesn't wake the car, use this for telemetry and to tell if the car is going to sleep)

The degradation topic goes hand in hand with people obsessing about third party App data and the car not sleeping. You're not provoking the car but it's pretty obvious what is! Delete all third party Apps and report back.
I've got lots of 3rd-party apps, Stats, EV Watch, WatchforTesla, and I've got zero deg after 2+yrs. It's not the apps that cause battery degradation.
IMG_0124.jpeg

Around 14k miles, Stats changed SOC api to the one that factors in temperature. Before that, when it got cold in Winter, the estimated rated range would drop to 300miles. Now, temperature shouldn't affect the range estimate. As you can see, I'm at zero deg after 26 months, and 15k miles.

The 280 mile dots and even the ones around 300 miles, were the blue snowflake days. That's how you knew that Stats was using the SOC api that wasn't accounting for temp.

Reactions: Phlier
On days I don't drive the car will wake up once or twice on its own each day. I use a 12 volt battery logger to constantly monitor that battery. When the car is awake the voltage jumps to over 13 volts. About 12.7 volts when sleeping. The battery logger creates daily graphs like the one attached.

On this 24 hour chart the car awoke twice... 9 am and 6pm.

IMG_0784.PNG

Reactions: KenC and GtiMart
I use teslamate. A while back when I wasn't driving the car for days, the car would wake up between 24-28 hours. Sometimes it stays awake for 10-20 minutes before going back to sleep. Other times it would stay awake for about an hour. I can only assume it needs to charge the 12v battery. I usually do not have my car plugged in.

Reactions: goRt
Update: my car did not wake up this morning, and it had not woken up yesterday morning either. The only change I can see is that I haven't driven it for 3 days straight. Yesterday it was just moved out and back into the garage and that's it. Maybe it wakes up to upload data to the mothership and there's nothing to upload this time.

Third party apps....I don't understand the obsession with them. You know what the car likes? To be left alone. My battery hasn't degraded a bit since I bought it 18 months ago and I will never have a third party App.
Am I understanding correctly that you are implying 3rd party apps degrade the battery? I find it hard to believe that your battery hasn't degraded somewhat in 18 months. Doesn't make physical sense.