Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often to rotate tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quickly approaching 5000 miles on our rear-wheel drive Model S 85, which was delivered at the end of December.

We use it to commute 120 miles a day on weekdays and we were wondering how often experienced Model S owners would recommend rotating the tires. We drive in Southern California (Pasadena to the Inland Empire and back) on mostly freeways on the standard 19" all season tires.

No issues with the car so far (except for a 1-inch dent on the bottom of the bumper from freeway debris, dang it.)

The latest update is: Service plans | Tesla Motors
How often should I rotate my tires?

We recommend that you bring your Model S in to have the tires rotated every 6,250 miles. This is included as part of the Annual Service Inspection.

My Service Center told me every 5k miles when I got the car. However, they only do it ever 10k. Every time I brought it in on the "odd" 5k, they said there is more meat on the rear and not to rotate it. So my car basically ended up being every 10k, so once so far ;)

Check the tread depth and evenness of wear on the tires. If they are wearing evenly across the tread and the tread depth is basically the same front to back, there's no particular need to rotate. The main purpose of rotation is so all four tires will wear out at the same time. Replacing tires in sets of four allows for better handling and greater safety than two old and two new tires. (In addition, tire manufacturers change the tires silently, so the same make and model of tire may not be the same as ones purchased at a different time.)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! We will schedule a tire rotation soon. Can't remember what the Service Center told us -- is there a fee for tire rotation? (We just picked up our car in late December).

My CPO 2013 purchased in May 2015 has free rotations for life from the Tesla Service Center.

Again, free rotations at the service center.

I state it like that b/c it took me LOTS of searching and getting a hold of someone to answer that in such a straightforward manner. Hopefully that policy doesn't change anytime soon (but if it does, no big deal and my S will go to Discount Tire like my other cars do).

I state it like that b/c it took me LOTS of searching and getting a hold of someone to answer that in such a straightforward manner. Hopefully that policy doesn't change anytime soon (but if it does, no big deal and my S will go to Discount Tire like my other cars do).
Bear in mind that the caps on the lug nuts are fragile and cost about $100 to replace all of them. I now take them off myself if I need to have Discount tire or some other non-Tesla service place work on them.