TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How reliable is your Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Dornish, Jun 4, 2018.

1. wdolson

wdolson Well-Known Member

The charge port gasket fell off when I bumped it one day. A drop of Gorilla glue and I haven't even thought about it until you mentioned it.

I had the main screen spontaneously reboot twice. Oddly it was in the same spot almost exactly a year apart.

2. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Respect the mods stay on topic

Tesla isn’t going to fail and be bought out. They’ve only just begun to stomp the competition. It’s obvious.

3. cruiserlarry

cruiserlarry Gadgetologist

I'm now at about 46k miles on a 2017 S90D, and have had zero critical functional issues so far. As with most folks, I've had my share of minor annoyances, i.e. door handle issue (fixed), interior rattles (fixed), noisy trunk strut (fixed), headlight eyebrow dimming (fixed), but the car has never let me down, operationally. All issues (except for the notorious front strut low speed rattle issue) have been handled quickly by Tesla service; in fact many were done while I was at work by Tesla Mobile Service. Other times, a Tesla loaner was provided.
    I've had nothing but professional, polite folks at every service visit, and still love driving my Tesla every day.

• Like x 2
  4. wdolson

wdolson Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago I wrote a rather long post going into detail how young companies fail and the likelihood Tesla was going to fail in any of those ways. I concluded the only two scenarios where Tesla could fail then were a major screw up like a disastrous product launch or the market falling apart (basically an economic depression).

The Model 3 launch problems almost pushed them to that point, but they did survive. But since they have recovered, their odds of failure have dropped.

5. Droschke

Droschke Active Member

"How reliable is your Model S?"

It depends what "reliable" means. My car has never stranded me with being undrive-able in 4 years/43K miles of ownership.

But, being surprised with something which worked just yesterday but not working today (and, it might work tomorrow) is another thing.