Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How reliable is your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lost charge port gasket...prolly my fault. Steering bolt recall. Both fixed by ranger. Once the dashboard went blank when I went into a tunnel when driving. Rebooted OK.

Down 1/2 percent on rated range at 28k miles.

And thats it! Love my MS!

The charge port gasket fell off when I bumped it one day. A drop of Gorilla glue and I haven't even thought about it until you mentioned it.

I had the main screen spontaneously reboot twice. Oddly it was in the same spot almost exactly a year apart.

The Tesla Blitherings? I keep forgetting it's there. A bunch of things happened in my life in late 2016 and 2017 that derailed a lot of hobby projects.

You should ask them how they manage living with an obsolete car (ICE). :)

But more seriously, if Tesla was to fail at this point somebody would buy the assets and keep producing the cars. And somebody would step in and do something to keep the older fleet on the road. Supercharging might go away and life would generally be more difficult, but the fleet would still be operational. There already is a number of people restoring wrecks and keeping them going outside of the Tesla network.

Look at what happened to DeLorean. Their production numbers were a tiny fraction of the numbers Tesla has produced and there has been quite a community keeping them on the road. There is a company in Texas that is assembling a few new ones now.

I would try reaching out to Rich Rebuilds Contact – Rich Rebuilds

He started his journey with Tesla here on this forum posting about his experiences restoring a Tesla that had been in a flood. He put it back on the road. He's in the process of starting a Tesla repair shop, but he's in Massachusetts. But I've heard he's pretty good at giving pointers to people who are trying to figure things out. Considering how many Teslas are in California, there may be someone like him, just less well known doing the same thing there.
Tesla isn’t going to fail and be bought out. They’ve only just begun to stomp the competition. It’s obvious.

I'm now at about 46k miles on a 2017 S90D, and have had zero critical functional issues so far. As with most folks, I've had my share of minor annoyances, i.e. door handle issue (fixed), interior rattles (fixed), noisy trunk strut (fixed), headlight eyebrow dimming (fixed), but the car has never let me down, operationally. All issues (except for the notorious front strut low speed rattle issue) have been handled quickly by Tesla service; in fact many were done while I was at work by Tesla Mobile Service. Other times, a Tesla loaner was provided.
I've had nothing but professional, polite folks at every service visit, and still love driving my Tesla every day.

Tesla isn’t going to fail and be bought out. They’ve only just begun to stomp the competition. It’s obvious.

A couple of years ago I wrote a rather long post going into detail how young companies fail and the likelihood Tesla was going to fail in any of those ways. I concluded the only two scenarios where Tesla could fail then were a major screw up like a disastrous product launch or the market falling apart (basically an economic depression).

The Model 3 launch problems almost pushed them to that point, but they did survive. But since they have recovered, their odds of failure have dropped.

"How reliable is your Model S?"

It depends what "reliable" means. My car has never stranded me with being undrive-able in 4 years/43K miles of ownership.

But, being surprised with something which worked just yesterday but not working today (and, it might work tomorrow) is another thing.