Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How TF are people who live in apartments supposed to update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Tesla's mission to get everyone into an EV and FSD, or just the people who live in houses with a strong WIFI connection?

I live in an apartment building with no WIFI in the underground parking. I paid $15,000 for an additional software feature, and I pay monthly for Tesla premium connectivity. Out of all the data that comes with premium connectivity you'd think the software that runs f***n car would be a no-brainer. They are fine with me downloading literally terabytes worth of songs, and videos, but 1gb of the software that runs the car and keeps my $15,000 upgrade up to date is off limits??!

What is their plan moving forward for the millions of people who live in apartments?

How about pushing updates to people who paid 15k for a software feature? That’s great business no matter how you slice it. Or push updates to people who they detect are never/rarely connected to WiFi which would indicate they’re out of range.
If you haven't noticed yet, EM is a cheapskate. They're not gonna push firmware update even if you bought FSD. If you have unlimited cell service make a hot spot and sit in the car OR if you have a window facing where your car is put the router there and see if you can connect.
I live in a 2 story house and my router is on the 2nd floor in the rear of the house. My car is in the driveway in the front of the house. The ONLY signal the car can see is the 2.4 Ghz band (don't know if the chip recognizes 5 Ghz). I also have a wifi extender on the front side of the house YET the car WILL NOT connect unless I point the car toward the house (I heard the wifi chip is in the touchscreen) and even then when I try to connect I sometimes get a message can't connect because DHCP can't assign an address. So I reboot the car and it then connects to the extender.
When they made the touch screen they put an Intel atom chip in it (I had an atom on a refurbed Dell 11 inch portable like 20 years ago) and the wifi chip whatever it is has a sh*tty antenna. I hear they're using Ryzen now but I'm not impressed with Ryzen. I had a MS Surface and it was sluggish and my wife's Lenovo desktop has a Ryzen and a message pops up that says "will not run Windows 11". I'm willing to pay an extra $100 for a nice Intel or Qualcomm wifi 2.4/5Ghz chip

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Upvote 0
If you haven't noticed yet, EM is a cheapskate. They're not gonna push firmware update even if you bought FSD. If you have unlimited cell service make a hot spot and sit in the car OR if you have a window facing where your car is put the router there and see if you can connect.
I live in a 2 story house and my router is on the 2nd floor in the rear of the house. My car is in the driveway in the front of the house. The ONLY signal the car can see is the 2.4 Ghz band (don't know if the chip recognizes 5 Ghz). I also have a wifi extender on the front side of the house YET the car WILL NOT connect unless I point the car toward the house (I heard the wifi chip is in the touchscreen) and even then when I try to connect I sometimes get a message can't connect because DHCP can't assign an address. So I reboot the car and it then connects to the extender.
When they made the touch screen they put an Intel atom chip in it (I had an atom on a refurbed Dell 11 inch portable like 20 years ago) and the wifi chip whatever it is has a sh*tty antenna. I hear they're using Ryzen now but I'm not impressed with Ryzen. I had a MS Surface and it was sluggish and my wife's Lenovo desktop has a Ryzen and a message pops up that says "will not run Windows 11". I'm willing to pay an extra $100 for a nice Intel or Qualcomm wifi 2.4/5Ghz chip
The amount of bad will this is creating with tesla users is not worth the few thousand dollars in bandwidth they save every year. It would help profitiability in the long run to remove friction and headache.

Upvote 0
The amount of bad will this is creating with tesla users is not worth the few thousand dollars in bandwidth they save every year. It would help profitiability in the long run to remove friction and headache.
😂

They already have your money and you seem to be the only one getting a friction headache over this.

Upvote 0
Apartment dweller, basement garage parking spot, no wifi at car.

We usually take the car to our local Tesla service centre and download using their guest wifi. We often do the update while there so if there's a problem, there is help nearby (and at the very least, the car doesn't have to be towed from the underground garage.)

We have had at least 2 updates pushed to the car over LTE AND the car updated (so we get in the car in the morning to discover the update notes on the screen.)

When we first got the Tesla we had 250MB of data a month on our cell phones. As a result we opted for premium connectivity since it gives us full use of the tech in the car (audio/video/traffic visualization, browser so we can order food for pickup.) Since then I bought 60GB for my phone, good for one year, and since I use so little, I've been doing the updates with the car parked in the guest parking lot. So that's the 2022 Christmas update, the NAV update, and we got up to V11.3.6. In total, that took less than 10GB so I may do that in the future since I can walk away from the car (locking it with my phone inside using the keycard) and be productive at home during downloads and installs.

Reactions: kpanda17
Upvote 0
[WORRY NO MORE]

I set it to connect to my phones hot spot and then to NOT remain connected while in drive so I don’t use my phones data for everything else(I pay for premium connectivity). It downloads the updates once the phone is in range and they download fairly quickly on Verizon - usually in a couple drives.

If I have a wild hare up my *** I sit in park for a few minutes.

There has to be ONE place you regularly go that has a Wi-Fi connection. Park at a Starbucks maybe?

Upvote 0
[WORRY NO MORE]

I set it to connect to my phones hot spot and then to NOT remain connected while in drive so I don’t use my phones data for everything else(I pay for premium connectivity). It downloads the updates once the phone is in range and they download fairly quickly on Verizon - usually in a couple drives.

If I have a wild hare up my *** I sit in park for a few minutes.

There has to be ONE place you regularly go that has a Wi-Fi connection. Park at a Starbucks maybe?
Thanks for the reply very helpful.

Upvote 0
Yes, you will still get updates over LTE, just not as many as over Wi-Fi.
Do you though? I haven't updated in about a year (on 2022.20.8) by choice and while I have received notifications that updates are available, the car has never downloaded an update during that time.
It's one thing to notify the driver via LTE, but pushing the update via LTE is a whole different story.

Upvote 0
Do you though? I haven't updated in about a year (on 2022.20.8) by choice and while I have received notifications that updates are available, the car has never downloaded an update during that time.
It's one thing to notify the driver via LTE, but pushing the update via LTE is a whole different story.
I was off of wifi for a little over 2 years (to help avoid the 2020 and 2021 Holiday updates, I finally gave in for the scroll-wheel update though). I would get about 4 updates a year downloaded and ready to install (which I would just ignore for 2 weeks or so until the scheduling popup would go away). The car was off of my home wifi, and never at a Tesla service center in that time. I do have premium connectivity though, not sure if that makes a difference. I also have strong LTE in my carport.

Upvote 0

How do you know it hasn't downloaded over LTE?

Yes, you will get updates over LTE eventually. I haven't been connected to Wifi nor updated firmware in about two years, and I still get messages to update. If I click to update, it's either already downloaded or will download.

Upvote 0
I haven't updated in about a year (on 2022.20.8) by choice…
Same here. I thought I was the only one. Perhaps we need a new thread or even a new forum, the “Save my Radar, Following Distance, Max AutoPilot Speed, and No Mandatory Auto Wipers/Beams” forum? Just sayin’.
…and while I have received notifications that updates are available, the car has never downloaded an update during that time.
I’ve received about 10 firmware updates though I’ve installed none of them. The updates are WiFi downloaded to the vehicle and the iPhone app tells me that. Both the phone app and the screen in the Model 3 ask me to trigger the install which I have not done. But the software has definitely been downloaded to the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Upvote 0