Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How TF are people who live in apartments supposed to update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Tesla's mission to get everyone into an EV and FSD, or just the people who live in houses with a strong WIFI connection?

I live in an apartment building with no WIFI in the underground parking. I paid $15,000 for an additional software feature, and I pay monthly for Tesla premium connectivity. Out of all the data that comes with premium connectivity you'd think the software that runs f***n car would be a no-brainer. They are fine with me downloading literally terabytes worth of songs, and videos, but 1gb of the software that runs the car and keeps my $15,000 upgrade up to date is off limits??!

What is their plan moving forward for the millions of people who live in apartments?

What is their plan moving forward for the millions of people who live in apartments?
The car tells you when an update is ready to download. If an update is ready and you want to install it, connect to wifi somewhere else and download it. Lots of superchargers have wifi now. Maybe you can start there. Or connect to your phone’s hotspot on one of your drives and it will download while you drive.

That’s the plan. It’s not hard.

Upvote 0
The car tells you when an update is ready to install. If an update is ready and you want to install it, connect to wifi somewhere else and download it. Lots of superchargers have wifi now. Maybe you can start there. Or connect to your phone’s hotspot on one of your drives and it will download while you drive.

Right and those notifications make it even easier.

Reactions: SO16 and ucmndd
Upvote 0
The car tells you when an update is ready to download. If an update is ready and you want to install it, connect to wifi somewhere else and download it. Lots of superchargers have wifi now. Maybe you can start there. Or connect to your phone’s hotspot on one of your drives and it will download while you drive.

It's annoying as hell and creates a ton of friction, and most importantly bad will. Connecting to my phone costs even more money on top of what I already paid and continue to pay, and can take hours, even days to download the update. Just send me the update over LTE you cheap MF'ers. Out of all the things to nickle and dime paying customers on. "just drive somewhere that has free wifi, it's easy". Common dude. Spoken like a man who has wifi within range of his car.

Upvote 0
It's annoying as hell and creates a ton of friction, and most importantly bad will. Connecting to my phone costs even more money on top of what I already paid and continue to pay, and can take hours, even days to download the update. Just send me the update over LTE you cheap MF'ers. Out of all the things to nickle and dime paying customers on. "just drive somewhere that has free wifi, it's easy". Common dude. Spoken like a man who has wifi within range of his car.
IMG_8069.gif

Upvote 0
It’s 2023 and you drive a Tesla. If you can’t figure out how to do the wifi or your Boost Mobile phone charges too much for the gigabytes I don’t know what to tell you. This is a solved problem.
But it's not a solved problem. instead of cherry picking and handwaving away which points you want to address, explain the logic of allowing terrabytes worth of media to be downloaded but not the most critical data for the product? Explain the company decision to charge some 15000 dollars for a software feature, extra each month for INTERNET connectivity and not include the data most critical to the product. Walk me though how that meeting went with upper managment.

Upvote 0
It’s 2023 and you drive a Tesla. If you can’t figure out how to do the wifi or your Boost Mobile phone charges too much for the gigabytes I don’t know what to tell you. This is a solved problem.

It really is.

This argument had a LOT more weight when there were no notifications when there was an update cached, and it was a bit less common for people to have wifi hotspot capability on their phone.

Now, its just "I dont want to do X" not 'I have no way to do X'. Of course, whenever someone brings up "hey, now that you can get alerts, and hot spot and stuff" the retort is either "oh you must be a tesla stan" or some other type argument.

Upvote 0
Why even have a "premium connectivity" product then for any data? It’s 2023 and you drive a Tesla. If you can’t figure out how to do the wifi or your Boost Mobile phone charges too much for the gigabytes I don’t know what to tell you. This is a solved problem Tesla. There's no reason anyone would need this "premium connectivity" product. people have no problem just firing up a hotspot from their phone or driving somewhere with wifi when they want data for music, video, software or otherwise right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is Tesla's mission to get everyone into an EV and FSD, or just the people who live in houses with a strong WIFI connection?

I live in an apartment building with no WIFI in the underground parking. I paid $15,000 for an additional software feature, and I pay monthly for Tesla premium connectivity. Out of all the data that comes with premium connectivity you'd think the software that runs f***n car would be a no-brainer. They are fine with me downloading literally terabytes worth of songs, and videos, but 1gb of the software that runs the car and keeps my $15,000 upgrade up to date is off limits??!

I know there are few Starbucks ( or any other coffee place) in MDR. Park in front of the glass windows where you get a good WiFi signal.

Most restaurants have free WiFi. Find one where you can park close.

Cities like Santa Monica and I think Culver City.

Many city parks have outdoor WAP‘s.

People may come in a say that Tesla out there is making wried noises, but what the heck.

Upvote 0
No use arguing with someone who's religion is Tesla. Let me guess, Tesla's service, and paintwork are also flawless
This sort of tantrum isn’t really helping your case.

instead of cherry picking and handwaving away which points you want to address, explain the logic of allowing terrabytes worth of media to be downloaded but not the most critical data for the product?
Sure.

While it might be technically possible to stream “terrabytes” (sic) of data to your MCU if you left it running Netflix for literally the entire month 24/7, the actual reality of the situation is that the typical owner uses a tiny fraction of that in a month and pricing is based on that assumption. And apparently even that is too much as Tesla is actively installing Starlink wifi at supercharging stations because they’ve decided that’s more economical than having cars stream over a third party cellular network.

Proactively pushing a 1-3 GB software update to the entire fleet of premium connectivity subscribers over the cellular network would increase fleet data utilization, I’m guessing, by an order of magnitude. Are you prepared to pay for that? Last I checked Tesla doesn’t run a cellular network so they pay what the service provider charges (which means you do).
Explain the company decision to charge some 15000 dollars for a software feature, extra each month for INTERNET connectivity and not include the data most critical to the product. Walk me though how that meeting went with upper managment.
It’s pretty simple. The vast majority of Tesla customers (let’s be honest, the vast majority of people in general) have figured out how wifi works in 2023, so providing a duplicate service at significantly added cost to pacify the few that apparently haven’t is not a good business decision.

Footnote: eventually your car WILL download an update over cellular. If you wait patiently it will happen. If you want to be first though and get an update the minute it’s released, you might have to figure out how to use wifi like the rest of the developed world in 2023.

Final footnote: I’d be pretty damn pissed too if I got hoodwinked by Elon’s musk into paying 5 figures for FSD. But you’re not mad at the right person. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No use arguing with someone who's religion is Tesla. Let me guess, Tesla's service, and paintwork are also flawless
You can look for posts from both @ucmndd and myself, and you wont find either one of us simply singing teslas praises or anything, even though that doesnt fit the narrative you want to put forth.

Upvote 0
I do get OP's complaints about it. They do seem to act like it's inconceivable that you don't have access to wifi where the car is parked. The car constantly nags you every few days about connecting to wifi for updates, and the updates download slowly enough that it's not convenient to just connect to my phone and sit in the car or go to a public wifi hotspot. My commute also isn't quite long enough to download a full update.

I do feel like it should at least be a part of premium connectivity or at least let us download the updates to a USB flash drive and do it that way. Not a deal breaker, but annoying nonetheless.

Upvote 0

While I softly agree with you that Tesla should just allow the update over LTE...is it really so hard for you to find a WiFi connection probably less than once a month to download an update? The car is going to notify you of an update so it's not like you have to go find WiFi all the time to check for an update. There is no where you regularly go, or occasionally go that has wifi that you could connect to while you are already visiting that location?

Lots of people do not have issues with the data requirements on their phone WiFi hotspot.

Just send me the update over LTE you cheap MF'ers.

Cause the other manufacturers charging an arm and a leg for navigation map updates isn't bad...or in a lot of cases having to TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE DEALER to have ANY updates(including navigation) be updated.

Upvote 0
Footnote: eventually your car WILL download an update over cellular. If you wait patiently it will happen. If you want to be first though and get an update the minute it’s released, you might have to figure out how to use wifi like the rest of the developed world in 2023.
Totally this. I haven't had my car on Wifi since 2019. Yet, I still get alerts to install the firmware updates, which I continually ignore. I'm still on 2021.44.5 only because I got the MCU2 upgrade.

These updates all come over LTE if you wait long enough.

They are fine with me downloading literally terabytes worth of songs, and videos,

Nice hyperbole there. Nobody actually downloads "terabytes" worth of songs and videos. Netflix is about 1GB/hour. If you are watching Netflix in your car 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a MONTH, that would still be less than ONE terabyte.

If you can't figure out a wifi network or cell phone hotspot to connect to, and if you actually live in Marina Del Rey and are hard-up for a FSD firmware update, there are THREE Tesla service centers within 5 miles of MDR you can just drive to and the firmware will download for you. Or you can go inside and ask them to help you do it.

1686054539447.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think it's a reach to say that Tesla installed wifi at many of their Super Chargers and allows free connection at Service Centers for this exact reason. They are providing accommodations, plus they allow mobile hotspot connections.

Allowing all updates over LTE would absolutely force them to increase the cost of their cell plans. I don't think that's realistic, but maybe we see an option for a higher cost option in the future.

Upvote 0

If you have unlimited service make your phone w WIFI hot spot. Be prepared to spend at least an hour. As for public wifi I've found that most have really crappy download rates. Also, as a disappointed FSDb owner you should've waited. It ain't nowhere near done The best I can say about it, it's pretty good on the highway. Local, suburban, rural, city streets, it' ok to awful.

Reactions: navguy12
Upvote 0