Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to approach landlord about charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That dryer buddy site lists every plug BUT the one I have. My kitchen stove is on a 10-50. Three flat blades in the plug. Curiously, it is on a 40 amp pushmatic breaker.

I had an idea. There is a condemned house a few miles away. It was foreclosed on and it is a wreck. If all else fails, maybe I can buy it super cheap and just fix the breaker box enough to charge the car, and do no other improvements.

It would be a pain to have the wife pick me up there a few times a week, but so far the apartment manager and property management people aren't seeing things my way. I might be able to bribe the manager to let me hang a cord out the window when needed, but I can't see that working long term.

…and demand that they get with it and install the charger asap. An electric car charger would only add value to the rental unit/property, which means that the costs should be 100% on the landlord.
Spoken like a renter with a huge sense of entitlement. Who are you to DEMAND that a landlord spend money on a device that far fewer than 1% of renters could use?

There is almost no value-added by a device that a fraction of 1% of potential renters could use.

Reactions: coconutboy84
I had an idea. There is a condemned house a few miles away. It was foreclosed on and it is a wreck. If all else fails, maybe I can buy it super cheap and just fix the breaker box enough to charge the car, and do no other improvements.

I've got to give you credit for outside-the-box thinking! :) Maybe keep running shoes or a fold-up bicycle in the car so you won't need a ride?

Wow! This thread really took off as of late. To be clear, I do not expect the landlord to cover any of the cost, I just mentioned it would be nice if they did. I do not think asking the landlord to help cover the cost is "privileged" or out of line. I obviously am willing to pay the cost myself but it all boils down to a business transaction. As some have mentioned here, there is the possibility of some added value for the owner (albeit how much is certainly debatable). In the end, this whole thing is a business transaction in my mind. I want something and am willing to pay for it, but I believe their is value for the landlord as well.

Can you tell us a little more about what the existing layout of the house is? Does it have electric or gas appliances? Is there a laundry room relatively close to where you park? If so, you could plug in something like a Dryer Buddy to split the existing dryer plug (10-30 or 14-30) so that it could be used by both the dryer or the car (one at a time). It wouldn't require any installation and you could take it with you when you move.

The house has gas heat, hot water, and stove. Everything else is electric including the dryer. The laundry room is adjacent to the garage. Enter the house from the garage and the laundry room is immediately to the right and shares a wall with the garage, although the outlet is not on the shared wall. I don't see any way to share that outlet without having a charging cable running out of the laundry and through the door leading to the garage which would prevent the door from closing.

This is our third year in the home and the lease is up again in April. I may hold off on bringing this up until closer to the renewal time as I don't think I will have to worry about taking deliver until well after that date.

Yeah, you might have a little more leverage with the owner sixty days before your lease expires. As others have said, landlords hate vacancies, and the property managers can really siphon off the first couple months' cash flow once a new tenant is found.

Since you have been an ideal tenant, this could be a bargaining chip for a 2-3 year renewal for the landlord. If he has a mortgage on the property, then every month it sits idle is negative cash flow to him. If he owns it free and clear, he may be less willing to bargain.

Or, if all else fails and you decide to stay one more year, you could purchase the 20A adapter. You would just need to have 20A plugs and breaker in order to utilize this. This plug will charge one-third faster than the 15A plug that comes with the car. You will receive about 1,750 watts per hour, or 5-6 miles of range added. A twelve-hour overnight charge would boost your battery by 60-70 miles of range.

Then, go about finding another house to rent where the landlord is more accommodating!

Reactions: KJD
I have been on both sides of this fence.

When we rented a house, we wanted to put in a smaller apartment size stacked washer dryer combo. The deal we struck with the landlord was that he would pay to install the gas, plumbing, and electric for it, and when we left, we would leave the washer dryer with the house.

As a current landlord, if a Tennant asked for charging facilities, I would occomidate, but would want either a lease extension or increase in rent, or the Tennant paying for the cost to professionally install.

Imho, best bet is to offer to pay for a licensed electrician to install a 14-50, 14-30, 6-20, or 5-20, in that order depending on what the panel can support. Tesla has native adapters for all but the 6-20 (which would be double the charge rate of a 5-20). Worst case, charge in a standard 5-15, it's 3 to 5 miles per hour, and depending on your use, can probably come close to keeping up.

We used a 5-15 for a long time with our plug in prius (3 hour charge time) and for several months with our leaf. Now the leaf is back on the 5-15 as our Model X is on the 14-50 (limited to 40amp CB, 32am chathing, due to a design choice when we installed it)

As our now non primary vehicle the 5-15 is fine for the leaf.

We also picked up the 5-20 adapter for the model x, as where we tend to stay in Las Vegas and anaheim have several 5-20 outlets available for charging.

Basically, as long as you have a standard outlet, you can make it work, but see if you can get something 240v, the higher the amperage the better.

Harry

I am a landlord and if somebody wants to install a charging plug on my property , I will like that because I will have another attraction for an electric car owner to rent my property as compared to some other property . Win win for me because I am sure the person who owns a Tesla car will definitely pay my rent on time.

Or, if all else fails and you decide to stay one more year, you could purchase the 20A adapter. You would just need to have 20A plugs and breaker in order to utilize this. This plug will charge one-third faster than the 15A plug that comes with the car. You will receive about 1,750 watts per hour, or 5-6 miles of range added. A twelve-hour overnight charge would boost your battery by 60-70 miles of range.

Before doing so, you would need to determine what else is the circuit. You wouldn't want a heavy duty motor (power saw, for instance, or even a big refrigerator) to cycle on while your EV is pulling the maximum allowed continuous load.

Everything else is electric including the dryer. The laundry room is adjacent to the garage. Enter the house from the garage and the laundry room is immediately to the right and shares a wall with the garage, although the outlet is not on the shared wall. I don't see any way to share that outlet without having a charging cable running out of the laundry and through the door leading to the garage which would prevent the door from closing.

That 30A 240V extension cable needn't go through the doorway. A small hole through the wall would suffice, and could easily be patched up whenever you move. You would want to be sure to use fire-resistant patching material (drywall compound or plaster patch) around the cable on both sides to maintain the fire resistance between garage and house.

Even better would be to mount an extension on the dryer outlet box and run thin wall metal conduit from there through the wall with 10ga wire to another 30A outlet on the garage side of the wall. Tesla sells NEMA 14-30 adapters for UMC.