Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to avoid a runaway condition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking about this thread today, and there actually is one redeeming point to it, and that's if you suffer a medical emergency while driving. As a driver you should ensure that your passenger knows they can press and hold the park button to stop the car. In most ICE cars, the passenger can pull the e-brake or move the gear shift to neutral in an emergency. But I expect that a passenger )that isn't a regular Tesla driver) would not know how to stop the car. So I told my daughter today. Thanks to the OP for making me think of this.

That's a great point. Uninitiated passengers would probably look for an ON/OFF button like they're used to seeing.

The official investigation of that accident concluded that "brake rotor damage indicated there was endured braking", meaning the Lexus driver was pressing the brakes.

Consumer Reports testing shows otherwise. They show specifically what happened in the accident that killed the CHP officer. Their testing shows the force required and the extended braking distances involved. They also show how braking was impacted if the driver lifted his foot, even just one time to pump the brake or to reach for the floor mat. It then becomes "almost impossible to stop the vehicle" according to Consumer Reports.

Since this accident, several safeguards have been mandated.
Consumer Reports did a follow up study which contradicted their earlier report.
The follow up study received far less publicity (as null result studies often do).
I did include a reference with my post which goes into the full details, perhaps if you still disagree you could mark a disagree on their site rather than my post.

Reactions: WarpedOne
They also show how braking was impacted if the driver lifted his foot, even just one time to pump the brake or to reach for the floor mat. It then becomes "almost impossible to stop the vehicle" according to Consumer Reports.

Since this accident, several safeguards have been mandated.

Braking is reduced in some cars that use vacuum brake boosters. When at full throttle, there is no vacuum in the engine.

No Tesla relies on engine vacuum to boost the brakes, so this isn't relevant to electric vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingRockies
Braking is reduced in some cars that use vacuum brake boosters. When at full throttle, there is no vacuum in the engine.

No Tesla relies on engine vacuum to boost the brakes, so this isn't relevant to electric vehicles.

That video was in relation to the Lexus accident, which was found to be caused by "pedal entrapment" from floormats. Thanks to changes stemming from that accident, brake override systems are now standard.

Last edited:
... I'd suggest this:

images
That available in Tesla Red?:D

• Funny
Reactions: Joe F
Reminds me of a guy who drove for an hour at 120 mph on French autoroutes claiming his Renault's cruise control got stuck. Police accompanied him on part of his journey as he crossed into Belgium and ended in a ditch. I think it was ruled a hoax.

My sons has a Tesla S and I ask him if something happened that the car took a mind of its own went to accelerating and wouldn't stop, how do you shut it off to avoid a collision? He wasn't sure. We worked together and found one thing he could do is put it in neutral. There is no way to our knowledge to shut it off while driving. If there is other alternatives please reply. Every owner should be prepared for an emergency such as this. Randy

... and OP has left the building.

Sorry for reviving this discussion, but the OP has touched my concerns quite close. After reading throughout the whole discussion and a little tech research on braking my worries haven't been eliviated a bit. They don't apply exclusively to EV/Tesla, but to classic ICE cars as well, -but less so.
Imagine yourself going downhill after fully charging at your at home. In case of an electrical (or other) failure your main brakes might stop working partially (no servo boost) or completely (blown fuse, software error, leaking hydraulic system etc.) and you would get into such a "runaway condition".
In an ICE you always have mechanical motor braking available to get the car to slow down, even on steeper slopes when in first gear. This is comparable to regen-braking on an EV, but as we all know, this isn't always available (=fully charged or cold battery) and would be a very probable situation when starting your downhill journey.
What options do you have now while the car keeps accelerating? As mechanical handbrakes are more and more replaced by electronic parking brakes in all cars I would keep pressing the "Parking brake button" as instructed, but it works only if there is electricity present to run the actuators at the rear brakes (a known disadvantage according to wikipedia). Sure, this last resort applies to ICE cars with electronic parking brakes just as well, but here I still have the motor braking available all the time as a backup to slow me down.
Maybe the OP exaggerated the hypothesis a bit ("meltdown") but keep in mind that we have a car quite close to formula 1 specs in driving dynamics on one hand and look at their brakes glowing hot when these cars go through corners on the other hand. Now guess how long these brakes would work when trying to slow down a "runaway of 600 horses at constant full throttle" and 2 tons of weight. I don't know, but would have loved to have read some technical reassurance instead of suggestions like "Hit. the. brakes." or similar.

Disclaimer: Flawless MS90D from 2017, private owner planning to keep it forever, no direct or indirect involvement in car business, about 12.000 kilometers in Central Europe, partially in a rented Tesla (prior to ownership), technically inclined and long time EV observer convinced about the future of EV cars in general and mine especially.

You're really struggling to find a problem here. The latest hypothetical has:
* charging to 100% at the top of a hill to disable regen (anyone who lives on a hill knows better)
* leaking hydraulics to disable main brakes
* no electricity to make the parking brake work
* lots of electricity (and a broken throttle sensor) to make the car go full throttle
* brake override not working to cut throttle

If you're going to assume 5 simultaneous failures of different systems, some of them in conflicting ways (no electricity for parking brake and still full throttle?) then of course you can make any car fail. You would be in even more trouble if a meteor landed on the car's roof in the middle of that scenario.

Sure, this last resort applies to ICE cars with electronic parking brakes just as well, but here I still have the motor braking available all the time as a backup to slow me down.

Do you? If the car is stuck in full throttle, it's not going to brake because of the motor. You're allowing for multiple simultaneous catastrophic failures in the Tesla, but not in the ICE vehicle.

You're really struggling to find a problem here. The latest hypothetical has:
* charging to 100% at the top of a hill to disable regen (anyone who lives on a hill knows better)
* leaking hydraulics to disable main brakes
* no electricity to make the parking brake work
* lots of electricity (and a broken throttle sensor) to make the car go full throttle
* brake override not working to cut throttle

If you're going to assume 5 simultaneous failures of different systems...

Nope, not simultaneously but rather alternative failures where each is quite possible and leaves you with less or no solutions compared to an ICE-car.
#disabled regen: You know, I know. Don't assume everybody knows. Try explaining it to Grandma after you convinced her to buy an EV. If I lend the car to my children they know, but probably have forgotten about the cold batteries meanwhile. It's normal after all and part of the cars specs and specifics.
In any case it's not a comfortable feeling that your life is solely relying on an uninterupted flow of electricity to the brakes in which a blown fuse could have you "leave the street" right after after you "left the building".
What I'm longing to read is that Tesla/EVs have a fail-safe braking system were spring loaded brakes lock automatically in a dead system while unlocking is an active process (like it is usually done in trains using pressurized air). Even ICE-trucks and buses have a "retarder system" as an additional precaution for downhill slopes.
That said I feel very safe in my Tesla anyway but try to avoid thinking about the possible implications above, while driving in the Austrian Mountains...

No, the Tesla's brakes don't require electricity to work, they have a traditional hydraulic brake fluid. It will use an electric booster so your leg doesn't get tired, but that isn't needed to stop the car. As people have said earlier, brakes are more powerful than motors, so in any scenario where you haven't lost the main brakes, you just step on the pedal to stop.

If you have lost the main brakes, you still have the regen and the parking brake to stop you. Again, unless we're assuming simultaneous failures, that's 3 independent ways to stop the car.

@radio I'm not sure how your car can be going full throttle when, in your example, power has been cut to other electronic systems including braking and emergency braking. Also, my understanding is that the brakes can still be actuated if the power and/or booster fails. Your premise would require power to fail in all systems except to the motor, but the motor does not operate without the computer and other systems to run it. I don't believe the type of failure you hypothesize is possible.

Do you? If the car is stuck in full throttle, it's not going to brake because of the motor. You're allowing for multiple simultaneous catastrophic failures in the Tesla, but not in the ICE vehicle.

Sorry if my post gave the impression everything occuring at the same time, -just the opposite was meant: either/or aspects. To put it as simple as possible:
What do you do when driving away with a cold battery downhill (which is normal and frequent) and as a single fault hydraulics fail?
I would try press the parking brake stick continuously and only hope it is a very slight downhill as these brakes were not built to slow the car as means of deceleration.

• Disagree
Reactions: deonb
Sorry if my post gave the impression everything occuring at the same time, -just the opposite was meant: either/or aspects. To put it as simple as possible:
What do you do when driving away with a cold battery downhill (which is normal and frequent) and as a single fault hydraulics fail?
I would try press the parking brake stick continuously and only hope it is a very slight downhill as these brakes were not built to slow the car as means of deceleration.

In that condition I'd probably rely on the combination of regen and emergency brakes. In an ICE car in a similar situation, I'd rely on the engine and emergency brakes to much the same effect(although engine braking tends to be less effective at slowing than regen).

To put it as simple as possible:

Seriously? Don't do that. If you live on a mountain and you know you have a long trip downhill, you as a knowledgeable and responsible Tesla owner know that you need to rely on regen to control your decent. Unless you like wearing out your brakes for some unknown reason. Also, you as a Tesla owner, know that regen is not possible with a cold battery, as such you would ensure your battery was charged just prior to your departure such that is was not cold.

Also, do you know for a fact that the hydraulic system is a single piston, single line system? They're have been dual chamber master cylinders feeding both axles independently for decades. I don't know as I've never looked at mine, hence the reason I'm asking.

Seriously? Don't do that. If you live on a mountain and you know you have a long trip downhill, you as a knowledgeable and responsible Tesla owner know that you need to rely on regen to control your decent. Unless you like wearing out your brakes for some unknown reason. Also, you as a Tesla owner, know that regen is not possible with a cold battery, as such you would ensure your battery was charged just prior to your departure such that is was not cold.

Also, do you know for a fact that the hydraulic system is a single piston, single line system? They're have been dual chamber master cylinders feeding both axles independently for decades. I don't know as I've never looked at mine, hence the reason I'm asking.

I'm nearly positive is a dual master feeding diagonal pairs. Actually, I don't think anything else is legal for a passenger car sold new in the US these days.