Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to avoid a runaway condition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about computer meltdown, I talking emergency. 100MPH and it goes in to neutral and slams on the brakes, what a ride that would be. Computer meltdown means all bets are off.

Car will work 100% normally even if the touchscreen computer is dead.

You seem to be trying a little too hard to raise fears about the car. Please be aware that a moderator is watching this thread and will take action if it heads into trolling territory.

How about computer meltdown, I talking emergency. 100MPH and it goes in to neutral and slams on the brakes, what a ride that would be. Computer meltdown means all bets are off.

Your hypothetical has now gotten to the point where it requires every single system in the car to go haywire. Sure, if all control mechanisms got entirely locked out then there's not much you can do(what do you do in any other car if you're going 100mph and your breaks and steering lock up?). But that's an incredibly unlikely scenario, to the point where it requires about as much thought as: "what if you're in the middle of a bridge and the whole bridge collapses?" or "what if the car is hit by a meteorite?"

Going into neutral still seems to be the most controllable method. My concern is many have the answers but have they put them to the test at 100MPH? Not really a test anyone should try. Tesla's are very fast and that's just a few seconds. My concern is If that didn't work it would be a little late to worry about it. Safety knowledge saved my life in an ultralight and knowledge about an emergency in a Tesla could save yours.

Reactions: paperjohn
Hit. The. Brakes.

The car will cut the power to the motors after a couple of seconds - there is a lockout.

Hitting the button on the end of the stalk to go to Park is easier than going to neutral. It also has the beneficial effect of applying the E-brakes. I would do that after hitting the brakes, if all else fails.

Also the accelerator pedal is designed fail-safe. It has two counter-rotating sensors - both have to move in opposite directions in a synchronous fashion, otherwise acceleration will be locked out. So such a failure mode is exceedingly unlikely.

The brakes in the car are 100% mechanical like "normal" cars. The computer can tell them to actuate, but cannot tell them to not actuate. While we all know Teslas have a lot of power, brakes always have more power. The average brakes on a car can handle 1000+ HP, and the bigger brakes on a Tesla can do more. Unless you ride them to try and keep the car at a specific speed instead of using them to come to a controlled stop, they will not overheat, and once stopped, generate no heat to keep the car motionless. They will easily bring a Tesla at full power to a stop and hold it there forever.

There are no known cases where any road car's brakes failed to stop it, no matter what the engine was doing. Telsa is no different. Press the brake pedal. If the car is not slowing down, it's because you aren't pressing the brake pedal.

Maclom Galdwell has an excellent podcast about this:
Revisionist History Episode 08

Going into neutral still seems to be the most controllable method. My concern is many have the answers but have they put them to the test at 100MPH? Not really a test anyone should try. Tesla's are very fast and that's just a few seconds. My concern is If that didn't work it would be a little late to worry about it. Safety knowledge saved my life in an ultralight and knowledge about an emergency in a Tesla could save yours.

Ok, I'll play.

• Set car to neutral. If that does not work then
  • Call 911. Call Tesla.
  • Set autopilot on (limits speed to 90 mph) and now steers for you.
  • Set it to valet mode (limits speed to 70 mph and performance to 80kW).
  • Open all windows and sunroof for drag. Turn on all accessories.
  • Raise your butt off the seat and open the door.
  • Plug the included EVSE in.
  • ...keep your eye open for pink-colored septic tanker trucks to help you stop the car.

I love Tesla but being unprepared for an emergency could cost you. Having the knowledge of a few emergency responses in just a few seconds is what I'm looking for. I'm not suggesting this would ever happen. Be prepared, safety first.
What should I do in an emergency with the computer operated elevators in my 80 floor office building when I'm riding down to the garage to get to my Toyota? Any advice?

Hit. The. Brakes.

The car will cut the power to the motors after a couple of seconds - there is a lockout.

Hitting the button on the end of the stalk to go to Park is easier than going to neutral. It also has the beneficial effect of applying the E-brakes. I would do that after hitting the brakes, if all else fails.

Also the accelerator pedal is designed fail-safe. It has two counter-rotating sensors - both have to move in opposite directions in a synchronous fashion, otherwise acceleration will be locked out. So such a failure mode is exceedingly unlikely.
My sons has a Tesla S and I ask him if something happened that the car took a mind of its own went to accelerating and wouldn't stop, how do you shut it off to avoid a collision? He wasn't sure. We worked together and found one thing he could do is put it in neutral. There is no way to our knowledge to shut it off while driving. If there is other alternatives please reply. Every owner should be prepared for an emergency such as this. Randy
My sons has a Tesla S and I ask him if something happened that the car took a mind of its own went to accelerating and wouldn't stop, how do you shut it off to avoid a collision? He wasn't sure. We worked together and found one thing he could do is put it in neutral. There is no way to our knowledge to shut it off while driving. If there is other alternatives please reply. Every owner should be prepared for an emergency such as this. Randy

Bo5EzC_IYAA4EA5.jpg

Very odd post... father wanting to find information for son about how to avoid unintended acceleration even though unintended acceleration in a Model S is not an issue and never has been. Father also reads manual to help son find information... then comes to Tesla forums to seek additional assistance... then wonders about hacking, which is also not an issue and never has been.
MW-EF621_tesla__20160216121958_ZH.jpg

I guess your misunderstanding the point. How long does it take for the Tesla if at wide open throttle to get 100MPH. I guess what I'm trying to say is you must be prepared for a response to the emergency quickly. I think I'm wasting my time here, everyone is convinced an emergency wont happen in a Tesla. Tesla hasn't been on the road long enough for people to understand wear and tear causes new issues which could lead to an emergency.

I guess your misunderstanding the point.
You've had about 4 different points in this thread.

How long does it take for the Tesla if at wide open throttle to get 100MPH.
Depends on the model. How is this unique to Tesla though?

I guess what I'm trying to say is you must be prepared for a response to the emergency quickly.
You were told at least 3 times how to prepare for this emergency. Press the brakes, and press the parking brake button on the stalk.

I think I'm wasting my time here, everyone is convinced an emergency wont happen in a Tesla. Tesla hasn't been on the road long enough for people to understand wear and tear causes new issues which could lead to an emergency.
No one is convinced that an emergency wont happen in a Tesla. Having an emergency happen in a Tesla is just as likely as any other car on the road.

Many new cars are now internet connected, and any car with L2 or more can control steering and acceleration/braking (L1 might be braking only).

In the event of unintended acceleration, the mechanical brakes can be applied. There is enough stopping force to bring the car to a stop despite the acceleration. You can have your son confirm this by stepping on both pedals at the same time. (The car will also yell at you if you do this..)

I would hope everyone would try the brakes first but what if it didn't stop accelerating. The brakes would be short lived. Just looking to help everyone know what to do in that case. I mentioned neutral and that appears to be the best answer so far.

The brakes have enough force to bring it to a complete stop (assuming good/maintained condition) Once at a complete stop, there will no longer be wear on the pads as there is no movement. At that point if you have not already you can place the car into neutral and/or park.

*Note: You can also call Tesla. They have the ability to remotely limit your vehicle. They usually prefer the vehicle to be in park, but perhaps a life/death situation can allow them to turn on valet or loaner mode to limit speed and acceleration.

Computers all have some sort of cooling system. I work in a industry that the cooling systems fail. If not caught in time, meltdown. I wasn't interested in how the emergency could happen just how to be prepared if it did.

Since you want to go down this road...

Let's assume you're driving down the road at a almost legal speed of 155mph. Your car decides to pin the accelerator first, then melts down and somehow manages to keep the accelerator pinned. Let's also assume that you have not maintained your brakes, and while they bite initially, the fluid boils and/or the pads glaze over and give out. You're now pinned at a maximum speed of 155mph, unable to throw it into neutral, with no computer screen, and no brakes. What do you do?

Well, you have several options.
1. A Tesla traveling at a aerodynamically challenging speed of 155mph will get horrendous wh/mi, meaning you will likely run out of juice before you come up with a better plan. This will by default slow you. Stay calm, stay safe, stay focused and navigate until you run out.

Assuming you've modified the battery to be unlimited...and no outside help is available.

2. You find the object that is travelling at the closest speed to you, preferably travelling at 145mph and you brace for impact. Hopefully the minor speed difference will reduce any damages. If it goes well, they will step on their brakes and bring you to a stop. If it does not, you may or may not face manslaughter charges.

3. Find a stationary soft looking object and question why you bought a Tesla.

*Note: Remove Tesla from any of this and the strategy still applies. Many modern cars do not have manually activated mechanical emergency brakes anymore, so that can't be applied. A gas vehicle with a pinned throttle cable will run out of gas eventually. etc.