Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to avoid random/phantom braking!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own both a 2014 AP1 and a 2019 AP 2.5 with FSD.

I agree that the 2014 drives on auto pilot amazingly well using MobileEye. It’s only happened a couple of times but I have experienced phantom braking with the 2019.

I am also curious about whether or not phantom braking occurs with the Model 3 and also does it occur with model S with 3.0 hardware?

My MS R is HW3 and yes.

I own both a 2014 AP1 and a 2019 AP 2.5 with FSD.

I agree that the 2014 drives on auto pilot amazingly well using MobileEye. It’s only happened a couple of times but I have experienced phantom braking with the 2019.

I am also curious about whether or not phantom braking occurs with the Model 3 and also does it occur with model S with 3.0 hardware?
We just got our new 2021 Model 3 long range, July 2021. Driving home we had our first of many incidents of what I now know is referred to as “phantom braking”. Scared us spitless! I called customer service after the third or fourth incident, and they said they had never heard of such a thing! Call repair service, they said. We did. And they also claimed to have absolutely no idea what we were talking about!

What do we need to do???

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO and David29
We just got our new 2021 Model 3 long range, July 2021. Driving home we had our first of many incidents of what I now know is referred to as “phantom braking”. Scared us spitless! I called customer service after the third or fourth incident, and they said they had never heard of such a thing! Call repair service, they said. We did. And they also claimed to have absolutely no idea what we were talking about!

What do we need to do???
So, sounds like Tesla is being officially and willfully ignorant of a widespread and widely-reported problem. Despicable.

Reactions: pilotSteve and QUBO

What do we need to do???
Even though it has only happened to me a few times in 4.5 years, I still keep my foot over the accelerator so I can quickly step on it if needed. I usually do this when going under objects or passing large vehicles and someone is close to my back end.

you may want to do a reset of the computer by pushing both scroll wheels down while pushing the brake. Then also do a camera recalibration. That helped for me after my windshield was replaced.

What do we need to do???
Anytime something weird happens press the voice activation and say "bug report" then explain briefly what just happened. Then make an appointment and tell them you've made bug reports and they can listen and see what happened preceding the voice note in your cars computer.

I believe it’s called a “feature” as opposed to “bug” in the Microsoft environment.
I always dread the possibility of needing to go to the hospital and seeing living-saving equipment like a ventilator start up from turned off. My fear is that I’ll see a Windows Vista logo. Or any other Windows logo.

What do we need to do???
This may (or may not) be helpful, but when it would occur to me, I could easily repeat it. It would typically happen in areas along a interstate during a bright sunny day where there would be a tree line in the median, and the sun was shining over the tops of those trees creating various shadows on the lanes across the highway. I'd notice when I'd approach one of those large shadows, the car would brake. Im guessing it was thinking the shadow was an object in the road. It also would occur sometimes (not all the times) on a bright sunny day when approaching an overpass and there would be (of course) shade on the road under the overpass.

Not sure what combo of radar/cameras were used at that time, but I noticed those were the scenarios.

Also, since you are new, here is a tip: The terms "autopilot" and "Full Self Driving" are misleading. There is a reason why Tesla (in their manual, on the screen, etc) repeatedly says "your hands must be on the wheel at all times/you must be aware and in full control at all times". Its because its a level 2 system. LONG ways from Level 5.