Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to "buff" out PPF after road object impact?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this morning on the way to work I tried to dodge a large (smaller than a tire) that was bouncing in front of me. With a concrete barrier to my immediate left, I tried to squeeze between the barriers and the bouncing object.... WHAM! Caught the passenger side bumper at about 60MPH. The PPF does not appear to have been cut (small victory), and appears to be transfer to my bumper vs abrasion... but what is the recommended method to try and clean off the impact marks and buff back to normal? Hoping that the PPF self heals well after the clean up ...
IMG_20190313_084718.jpg

@dougatconcours, can I try something at home before I have to bring it in?

Last edited:
So this morning on the way to work I tried to dodge a large (smaller than a tire) that was bouncing in front of me. With a concrete barrier to my immediate left, I tried to squeeze between the barriers and the bouncing object.... WHAM! Caught the passenger side bumper at about 60MPH. The PPF does not appear to have been cut (small victory), and appears to be transfer to my bumper vs abrasion... but what is the recommended method to try and clean off the impact marks and buff back to normal? Hoping that the PPF self heals well after the clean up ...
View attachment 386214

I don't see that cleaning up.

You're probably going to have to get PPF re-applied to that panel.

Consider this a win. The purpose of the PPF was just fulfilled and your paint is safe. Nice.

I’ve been able to polish out defects like you have here. Depends on the film and how deep the abrasion is. If you have access to a dual action polisher, a medium pad, and some polish, you may be able to noticeably improve the optics. My one caution is to check your work frequently as the PPF will correct much faster than paint.

View attachment 386214

Bring it in.

If there's not some commonly available products to initially try (ie isopropyl alcohol,bug&tar remover, clay bar, etc) then I will bring it by @dougatconcours (Doug at Concourse), my installer for his advice....

FYI . The PPF is Suntek Ultra

No, No, No those products can "burn" the film leaving it dull. BRING IT IN!!.

Side note: I have a sharp pain right behind my left eye, any DYI hacks you know? I was thinking ice pick, but maybe too invasive?

What ShockOnT mentioned . It's suppose to self heal with heat. You can use warm water and pour over it after cleaning the surface.

Yes true!! since a rubber tire hit the car, you have remove the transfer first. Using alcohol, bug/Tar remover, etc can burn the film. We plan on using a very light polish and gradually remove the transfer and warm/hot water to speed up the self healing. FYI Heat guns take practice and if not careful can melt the PPF very quickly.

Well, I finally got a chance to wash the car since this episode and it came off! I did have to put a little repetitive rubbing, but it kept getting better with successive rubbing- I did not need excessive force at all. I think this is really a testament to PPF saving my bacon here. I was sure the impact was going to be uglier and worse than it was and the fact that it cleaned off is amazing. There is only a hairline scratch that shows where it used to be, so I'll expose that to the sun and see how much self healing takes place. After that, I'll shoot an after photo. Super happy with the way this impact is 99.9% gone now!

Thanks @dougatconcours for your quick response, but it looks like I won't be seeing you this week!

Well, I finally got a chance to wash the car since this episode and it came off! I did have to put a little repetitive rubbing, but it kept getting better with successive rubbing- I did not need excessive force at all. I think this is really a testament to PPF saving my bacon here. I was sure the impact was going to be uglier and worse than it was and the fact that it cleaned off is amazing. There is only a hairline scratch that shows where it used to be, so I'll expose that to the sun and see how much self healing takes place. After that, I'll shoot an after photo. Super happy with the way this impact is 99.9% gone now!

Thanks @dougatconcours for your quick response, but it looks like I won't be seeing you this week!

Outstanding!! Hopefully see you soon anyway. Take care