Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to explain to SC that EMMC daughterboard needs replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have an appointment scheduled with my SC regarding my MCU lagging and needing frequent reboots (usually at least once a week). While I understand that this is not the worst MCU can be, I would really like the EMMC daughterboard replaced under warranty before my warranty runs out, and obviously before my car leaves me stranded with no access to MCU. Any suggestions on how I should approach this with the service advisor to increase my odds of getting it approved?

So I have an appointment scheduled with my SC regarding my MCU lagging and needing frequent reboots (usually at least once a week). While I understand that this is not the worst MCU can be, I would really like the EMMC daughterboard replaced under warranty before my warranty runs out, and obviously before my car leaves me stranded with no access to MCU. Any suggestions on how I should approach this with the service advisor to increase my odds of getting it approved?

They won't do it imo

My SC ran some sort of diagnostic script that (among other things) checks for health and life remaining in the EMMC. (At least thats what I was told). So I believe the best method: Document when the issues occur (Date and time). If it continues to happen, also press and hold the car icon in lower left hand of your MCU, for about 4 seconds. It will save/record the log data around the time you press and hold. Makes it easier for them to check the logs and confirm what occurred.

The above my help them gather evidence to show that your MCU1 is indeed having significant performance issues and may meet their threshold for replacement

My SC ran some sort of diagnostic script that (among other things) checks for health and life remaining in the EMMC. (At least thats what I was told). So I believe the best method: Document when the issues occur (Date and time). If it continues to happen, also press and hold the car icon in lower left hand of your MCU, for about 4 seconds. It will save/record the log data around the time you press and hold. Makes it easier for them to check the logs and confirm what occurred.

The above my help them gather evidence to show that your MCU1 is indeed having significant performance issues and may meet their threshold for replacement
Thanks, but usually when the problem occurs the "buttons" on the touchscreen dont work and the voice control to "bug report" wont work.

Reactions: Alysashley79
That new $500 EMMC replacement only happens when it needs replacement, not proactively under warranty.

They won't do it but put in your service request saying you have signs of impending EMMC failure so they have a record they needed to replace it even after warranty ends.

You might be able to negotiate a discount on MCU2 if you ask.

The usual symptoms are slow boot or failure of the MCU to boot, requiring reboot. Especially after a firmware update. Loss of audio like turn signals or Bluetooth. Loss of HVAC controls. If you report these as symptoms and set up a service request for the eMMC chip/Tegra replacement, and 'say the magic words', you might have luck in getting the repair done.

I just had my P85+ in the Rocklin Service center for the daughter board replacement under warranty. Mine was only showing signs of failure such as the need to re-boot, voice controls not responding, connectivity via music streaming not connecting etc.. I just uploaded a couple of pictures to the service request on the app, and had no issue getting it replaced in 1 day.

Concern: Customer states MCU is showing signs of failure. Screen was locked and would not reset. Streaming audio is non responsive and no internet service via browser. Suspect eemc chip failing.Verified customer concern. Verified that emmc files are corrupt, need to remove and replace daughterboard. Removed and replaced daughterboard, ran firmware and verified that vehicle is operating as designed and that customer concern is no longer present

.Parts Replaced or AddedPart
MSX MCU PC TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROVISION(2728211-S0-A) 1.0
SCR,M5X6.PH.TRX25.SST.W/PATCH(1010058-00-A)12.0
SCR,M3x4.PH.TRX10.W/PATCH(1010052-00-A)3.0

So they run a remote test which tells them whether or not the EMMC chip needs to be replaced. In my case, they ran the remote diagnostic and found that, while my memory usage is very high, my EMMC chip is not ready to be replaced. Request denied under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: VaztheDad and GSP
I just had my P85+ in the Rocklin Service center for the daughter board replacement under warranty. Mine was only showing signs of failure such as the need to re-boot, voice controls not responding, connectivity via music streaming not connecting etc.. I just uploaded a couple of pictures to the service request on the app, and had no issue getting it replaced in 1 day.

Concern: Customer states MCU is showing signs of failure. Screen was locked and would not reset. Streaming audio is non responsive and no internet service via browser. Suspect eemc chip failing.Verified customer concern. Verified that emmc files are corrupt, need to remove and replace daughterboard. Removed and replaced daughterboard, ran firmware and verified that vehicle is operating as designed and that customer concern is no longer present

.Parts Replaced or AddedPart
MSX MCU PC TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROVISION(2728211-S0-A) 1.0
SCR,M5X6.PH.TRX25.SST.W/PATCH(1010058-00-A)12.0
SCR,M3x4.PH.TRX10.W/PATCH(1010052-00-A)3.0

Wow I'm having the exact same issues. Streaming audio non responsive, no internet service, cannot download updates even when on wifi, black screen that requires a re-boot weekly, etc. Service tech remotely checked my car and said everything is working just fine. I'm expecting my MCU to fail any day now.

Wow I'm having the exact same issues. Streaming audio non responsive, no internet service, cannot download updates even when on wifi, black screen that requires a re-boot weekly, etc. Service tech remotely checked my car and said everything is working just fine. I'm expecting my MCU to fail any day now.

These @$$holes still refuse to admit its their fault and cover this as a recall. Despite admitting there was a known issue. Why else create a provision daughter board with 64gb memory

Reactions: X Fan
So they run a remote test which tells them whether or not the EMMC chip needs to be replaced. In my case, they ran the remote diagnostic and found that, while my memory usage is very high, my EMMC chip is not ready to be replaced. Request denied under warranty.

This is basically what I just experienced. Starting to have a lot of the usual issues. Brought it in for a diagnostic, and they said I was at like 80% memory usage, they got it down to 40%. And said that was it, nothing else they can do right now under warranty. Warranty won't cover replacement of the daughter-board until complete failure of the MCU. So the choices are $700 to do the daughter-board or $2700 for the MCU2 upgrade. Otherwise wait and hope that the MCU fails before my CPO warranty runs out in August 2021...

Hi All, new to the group. Purchased a 2012 Model S P85 Performance back in late April '20. Only had 40k mi on it and I've added 5k mi since then. Regarding the eMMc issue, I've only experienced one case that the MCU went black and required reboot and 'maybe' a couple of other things (probably so non-noticeable that I can't recall exact details). Can only assume that it is because of the low mileage for being a 2012. But this whole issue does have me extremely worried (especially each time a software update is done) that it is only a matter of time. My warranty ends in October (just weeks away). Someone on this thread mentioned simply going to the service center and asking for a new daughter board (aka eMMc, right?) for the cost of a few hundred bucks (since no diag needed). Question - aren't they just gonna give me the very same eMMc?... meaning that I'll run into the problem in a few years?

Hi All, new to the group. Purchased a 2012 Model S P85 Performance back in late April '20. Only had 40k mi on it and I've added 5k mi since then. Regarding the eMMc issue, I've only experienced one case that the MCU went black and required reboot and 'maybe' a couple of other things (probably so non-noticeable that I can't recall exact details). Can only assume that it is because of the low mileage for being a 2012. But this whole issue does have me extremely worried (especially each time a software update is done) that it is only a matter of time. My warranty ends in October (just weeks away). Someone on this thread mentioned simply going to the service center and asking for a new daughter board (aka eMMc, right?) for the cost of a few hundred bucks (since no diag needed). Question - aren't they just gonna give me the very same eMMc?... meaning that I'll run into the problem in a few years?
The new chip is 65gb the old is 8gb.

Weird variant for me today. Speaks to a safety issue. MCU was blank. Car operated, but got a warning the passenger airbag was deactivated. A very long (over 60 seconds) scroll wheel reset got the MCU to restart and error cleared. This is on a 6 month old refurbed MCU.

Attachments

• 02C2DEF8-F8C4-45BF-B70D-F64C71E490E2.jpeg
    02C2DEF8-F8C4-45BF-B70D-F64C71E490E2.jpeg
    493.8 KB · Views: 143