Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How To Get Car To Auto lock When Driving Away ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd expect the problem to be this part:

and don't put the car in park mode and just continue on your way

If you don't put the car in Park then it is still effectively ready to drive and so wouldn't consider itself to have stopped so it wouldn't lock.
I've never come across a situation where I wouldn't put the car in Park if I had, err, parked. why would you do that?

• Disagree
Reactions: CMc1 and MrBadger
He’s referring to carjacking protection and the car relocking itself for safety.

I try to ALWAYS put the car in park, in any car when dropping off passengers. Make it muscle memory like putting the blinker on to take a turn. It’s safer in park. Most all cars will warn with alarms if a passenger tries to open a door while not in park. They warn for good reason.

Problem solved.

I don't believe you can open rear doors without it being in park.

Letting people out of car without it at least being in neutral is a big bug bear of mine. Unfortunately a point tragically driven home when a parent/nanny getting out of her car whilst picking kids up from my sons school was run over and killed by her own car - it can only have been left in drive/reverse as she got out and something caused it to accelerate.

I don't believe you can open rear doors without it being in park.

Letting people out of car without it at least being in neutral is a big bug bear of mine. Unfortunately a point tragically driven home when a parent/nanny getting out of her car whilst picking kids up from my sons school was run over and killed by her own car - it can only have been left in drive/reverse as she got out and something caused it to accelerate.
Think you are right. Doors will be locked, as car thinks you are still driving. You need to take steps to unlock - such as pushing the Park button. Presumably if you don't, but unlock manually in another fashion, the car thinks you want to drive with the car unlocked, and will keep going like that.

Reactions: mswlogo
On my Model 3, if the driver gets out of the car without hitting park, the car automatically goes into park. Then walk away lock (if using Bluetooth keys are being used) will take over. The ease of one-pedal driving (automatic hold at stop) and auto park when the driver exits has even gotten my muscle memory to just get out of the car and let it auto-park. I ***DONT*** recommend this and I try to remember to do it as often as possible, but it seems I do get out often without hitting park (and it's never not automatically gone into park for me but YMMV).