Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get earlier installation date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, my whole Tesla solar project is getting more and more ridiculous as it goes, I'm almost giving up at this point. I've made many calls to them along the way to push things forward. I placed the order since early Sept last yr.

1) Took them 5 weeks to send me the first design.
2)Took another 2 months for design update, mainly PW location.
3)Took 2 months to get LA county's installation permit.
4) Got the permit today and Tesla scheduled installation in June, 2022.

How ridiculous can this get? There's no freaking way I will get grandfather into NEM 2. With NEM 3, my ROI will take too long, no point to do it. Why Tesla doesn't give me priority for installation since my order started last year, they kept installing for people after me? Any way to get earlier installation date?

My advice is run/find another installer immediately. Some people honestly have a great/normal install time with Tesla. I came here when I started my research and eliminated Tesla immediately based on all the horror stories here. I just couldn't afford to take the risk with the delays so chose to pay more to avoid that.

Problem is I think all installers are slammed now so they have no shortage of work.

It doesn't matter if 50 people get perfect installs in 2 months if you're that 1 install that's still stuck. You're stuck and you fall in the NEM3.0 bucket (whatever that bucket ends up being). Since you've already been delayed and have an install date of June 2022, I doubt you'd get NEM2.0 already at this point.

So much wasted time.

My install was signed mid last year and I had PTO 3 months later. PTO took less than 1 week. This included supply shortages of some components which delayed my install for like a month even (install was still stressful as hell and I micro-project managed the whole thing bothering the installer regularly).

If you don't get NEM2.0, I'd guess most people won't even bother with solar at all so it's NEM2.0 or bust at this point (until we see more balanced NEM3.0 to put that $25-50k to work).

Last edited:
Reactions: KHYE
We put our deposit down January 3, 2020 I believe. Even back then when not as many people were wanting solar/PWs as there are today, it wasn’t until very end of October that we got PTO so basically 11 months. Demand, need for more trained workers, production limitations for PWs and covid all contributed. Right now all those factors are still in play and especially with workers either out sick, quarantined or quitting, making matters worse. I guess sadly I’m not surprised at how long it's taking these days. We have a friend who has been waiting quite a long time as well. I do understand the frustration over not being first in, first out. Sure their are a number of factors contributing to it though. I also don’t believe the utility is in any hurry to fast track PTO applications.

Don’t know of a way to get an earlier install date. Sometimes third party installers were able to get the install done sooner but then many ran into limited supply of PWs and so orders got held up and Tesla customers got them first.

Last edited:

How ridiculous can this get? There's no freaking way I will get grandfather into NEM 2. With NEM 3, my ROI will take too long, no point to do it. Why Tesla doesn't give me priority for installation since my order started last year, they kept installing for people after me? Any way to get earlier installation date?
Is this for panels or solar roof? It sounds like they are very limited in solar panel availability now. Also, I checked yesterday and the website isn't even quoting solar panels in my area at the moment. Maybe they lost their install team, but it used to be available for quote here for a number of months.

Is this for panels or solar roof? It sounds like they are very limited in solar panel availability now. Also, I checked yesterday and the website isn't even quoting solar panels in my area at the moment. Maybe they lost their install team, but it used to be available for quote here for a number of months.
It's for 24 panels and 1 PW. I understand if they stop taking new orders and stop new installation. But they let my order sit in queue while kept entertaining new installation and deplete the inventory.

Last edited:
KHYE, sorry you're still slogging through this process. It was 4 weeks between when they scheduled my install date and the install date last year so seems likely to be supply chain issues. On one of my install dates I did get moved up due to a cancellation.

There is a phone number for the scheduling department. You could call a couple of times a week to see if they have cancellations. Maybe they would get sick enough of the calls that they move you up😉.

@KHYE I'm also in the same situation. I got my permit last week and the install date shows June, 2022 on my account. I called and spoke with Scheduling department and was informed that the calendar is automatically blocked off until June for all new installs due to material shortage. They will start moving these 'estimated' dates closer to 'actual' as they get more material.

I hope this information is helpful. Nothing can be done at this time to expedite the install (per scheduling team).

• Informative
Reactions: KHYE and yblaser
@KHYE I'm also in the same situation. I got my permit last week and the install date shows June, 2022 on my account. I called and spoke with Scheduling department and was informed that the calendar is automatically blocked off until June for all new installs due to material shortage. They will start moving these 'estimated' dates closer to 'actual' as they get more material.

I hope this information is helpful. Nothing can be done at this time to expedite the install (per scheduling team).
Thanks for sharing, I will contact them today but will probably get the canned answer.

With Sunrun, we signed on Sept 18th, 2021, had our install on Oct 18th, 2021 (including roof repair by Sunrun), and was activated on Nov 18th, 2021. We have a 9.45kW system (27 panels) and 2 PWs. Very happy with the whole process and customer service.

With Sunrun, we signed on Sept 18th, 2021, had our install on Oct 18th, 2021 (including roof repair by Sunrun), and was activated on Nov 18th, 2021. We have a 9.45kW system (27 panels) and 2 PWs. Very happy with the whole process and customer service.
I’d bet Arizona team installs there are a different situation than work scheduled in the L.A. area but nice you got installed so quickly.

Ok, my whole Tesla solar project is getting more and more ridiculous as it goes, I'm almost giving up at this point. I've made many calls to them along the way to push things forward. I placed the order since early Sept last yr.

1) Took them 5 weeks to send me the first design.
2)Took another 2 months for design update, mainly PW location.
3)Took 2 months to get LA county's installation permit.

It will not get moved up. My installation got pushed back from Feb 9 to April 22 just the either day.

Tesla energy is a discount solar chain.