Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get your Model 3 on jack stands without any special tools

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just looked for the labels on my QuickJack, and based on the label, it looks like mine is 5000SLX.
That thing works great on all my cars, including the minivan.

I am not how SLX model relates to the current model designations on Costco's web site that are listed as either 5000TL or 7000TL.
Assuming that the 5K vs. 7K refers to the lifting capacity, 5K should be plenty for Model 3.
If you go to QuickJack's own web site (Portable Car Lift for your Garage or Shop - QuickJack), there is a much wider assortment of models (TL, TLX, ELX, SLX, etc.). There, it appears the "X" name in the model may refer to the "extend 66" lift point reach".

Hope this helps:

View attachment 950592
According to this article:
What's the difference between the NEW TL Models vs. SLX Models?
The biggest difference between the 5000TL and BL-5000SLX is the lifting height, which has increased 3 inches. This provides ample room to perform all the common vehicle maintenance tasks and allows you the capability to perform even the most complicated repairs.

Overall dimensions have remained the same, so you'll continue to benefit from what made QuickJack so popular in the automotive community and that is it's super-low 3" lowered height. The minimum lifting point spread did change from 31.5" to 37", but this will not make a difference to the vast majority of 5000TL users.
Ranger QuickJack 5000TL Portable Car Lift System

Any uneven wear due to camber, toe, driven axle, or weight distribution can be balanced thru a simple front/rear exchange.
Reversing the rotation direction (by moving tires to the opposite side) might slightly extend life if your tires are wearing in a feathered way such that the treadblocks are all angled like a cheese grater, but that really doesn't happen anymore with modern car tread designs. I couldn't even find an example picture to reference.

looks like quick jack has a 5000tlx on the way:

looks like quick jack has a 5000tlx on the way:

I think the previously recommended model was the 5000SLX. I wanted to compare how the new TLX is different, but cannot find the SLX on their website any more. I was wondering if "T" is just the new "S", but apparently it's not that simple: from https://www.quickjack-nederland.nl/en/introducing-quickjack-tl-models :

TL Replaces SLX
5000TL = 5000SLX
7000TL = 7000SLX

TLX Replaces EXT
5000TLX = 5000EXT
7000TLX = 7000EXT

ELX Replaces XLT
6000ELX = 6000TLX

Although not specified by Tesla, I found the front control arm strong enough to be jacked up with any floor jack if carefully done. I did this on my new 2023 Model 3 in the place shown.

IMG_2812.JPG

Having done so, I placed a jack stand like this;

IMG_2813.JPG

The rear position under the shock mount is equally strong enough to allow lacking to place a jack stand. To protect the plastic cover under this point, I placed a wooden spacer between the shock mount and the plastic under cover like this:

IMG_2860.JPG

Lifted high enough, I placed the jack stand like this;

IMG_2853.JPG

I just did this and a couple of tips.

* I would get the Esco Low stands 10499. Just less teetering.
* All garages are sloped towards the door and aren’t completely level. Front park and lift the car with the back slightly lower than the front. As you teeter there will be more pressure forward and the slope will actually balance it out.
* Use the esco stands without their rubber top. Instead just use your lifting pucks that stick into the exposed Jack point holes. This just makes for a more stable lift and rubber on rubber will move around on you more.
* be careful when jacking from the rear wheel. There isn’t a lot of clearance between the Jack and the inside of the wheel and you don’t want to mar the wheel. I actually had to put my hockey puck on the edge of my Daytona 3 ton low profile floor Jack to not end up lowering the wheel on top of the Jack.

Thanks for the guide OP.

Does anyone know if there is a way to lock the front wheels?

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_3500.jpeg
    IMG_3500.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Helpful
Reactions: extra slim
Do some searches on this forum about stress fractures in the M3's roof. Look up RemmStands too and then you will understand how to get the car up on jack stands. As for Dolemite, you refuse to explain how you managed to damage your jack points, so no picts. It seems like you like to bad mouth the RemmStands, but have nothing to back it up. Well, there are a number of other people on here that think the opposite about jacking the car up on just one jack point. Call Tesla and see what they say about it. Tesla recommends jacking both jack points on one side at the same time or use a lift.
I was reviewing this thread in anticipation of rotating my M3 tires today. I had intended to jack up only one side at a time--high enough to lift up both tires.

People have said that's how mobile techs do it, and here is a video of exactly that. Jacks it up high enough from the rear lift point only to rotate tires. This is a short, perfectly filmed video showing exactly how to go about it.

Reactions: bilbomacuser
I was reviewing this thread in anticipation of rotating my M3 tires today. I had intended to jack up only one side at a time--high enough to lift up both tires.

People have said that's how mobile techs do it, and here is a video of exactly that. Jacks it up high enough from the rear lift point only to rotate tires. This is a short, perfectly filmed video showing exactly how to go about it.

That donkey leaned a dirty tire against your car's painted body!? He also worked on the car while it was supported solely by a hydraulic jack?! Not very wise