Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make sure my new Tesla account works?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe you can charge a car not on your account. You definitely will not be able to charge without a payment method on file. You can try to create a separate account with a payment method on file like any non-Tesla owner that wants to charge, and it should bill that account. I do not know if there is some sort or check to see if a non-Tesla account is really a Tesla. Tesla might think it is an owner trying to charge a salvage Tesla or it has been stolen, and other security legal issues. Try it and let us know.

Bottom line, put the car on your account (or the separate account for non-Teslas) and have a payment method on file, otherwise you will never be able to charge at Superchargers. Unless the car is salvaged, stolen, or has needed uncompleted repairs to enable safe Supercharging that you or the original owner have failed to correct, it will charge fine. Why are you so concerned with all of this if you have an account set up in your name? Add a payment method to your account and see. You can remove the payment method after your "trial".

Reactions: Rocky_H
Is there a minimum charge or connection fee? Can I charge a Tesla I haven't added to my account yet?

If it's a Tesla NEVI-funded station, it has to comply with the Federal terms that it can take a credit card without opening a Tesla account, just like you go to a gas station.

However, there is only about 1 Tesla NEVI-funded in the US, so you might want to open a Tesla account and add your car to that account to use other non-NEVI Superchargers.

There's no minimum charge. There's a charging fee and an idle fee, a maximum of 2 fees.

Ok, when I tried to add that car to my account it says something like, No LTE or wifi available. When I try to connect to an unsecured wifi, it says connecting, but it never connects I guess. Either way, it won't let me add the car where it's parked right now.

Now this car I was able to do a test charge, but on the dash is says 34 kW.

IMG_20240527_144602201.jpg

This was supposed to be a 250 kW charger. What gives? It would take over 2 hours to recharge a low battery, not the 25 minutes I hear about.

It’s not the charger, but most likely your car. Sounds like your MCU and modem have not been updated/upgraded? Expired certificates? So the vehicle is unable to connect with Tesla. As for the charging speed, the veteran MS owners can opine more on it, but its an 11-yr old car; any limitations are probably on the car, not the charging equipment.

Where did you buy the car from and do you know its history?

• Helpful
And how do I print a receipt of the charging and is there a way to see what the odometer was at the time? Short of taking a photo of the screen after the charging or a screen shot of my credit card entry for the charging how you get record of it?
After every charging session, the invoice is available in the Tesla app, or online on the website.

Wherever you’re charging now, your supercharger costs are probably being billed to someone else 😂

And not all SC costs are the same; you’ll need to look it up on the in-car nav or the app.

And OP, since you’re new to Tesla and this is a 2013 MS P60, you’ll want to do a deep-dive into the legacy issues on the drive unit, battery, MCU, etc. These topics have been discussed at length on TMC; a search would help. If the preventative maintenance and upgrades have been completed, you’re golden.

Good luck!

And OP, since you’re new to Tesla and this is a 2013 MS P60, you’ll want to do a deep-dive into the legacy issues on the drive unit, battery, MCU, etc. These topics have been discussed at length on TMC; a search would help. If the preventative maintenance and upgrades have been completed, you’re golden.

Good luck!

What do you mean by legacy issues? A search only gave me 4 hits,

legacy.jpg

But you need the car to have internet to generate a 3 digit code for adding it to your account.
Try setting up a new WiFI connection in the car, and see what networks it can see. Your car will not connect to the "new" 5Ghz WiFi networks that are common now. The car should connect to a WiFI network it can see with the correct password. Don't use an existing network connection in the car.
Or, you can connect it to your phone using your phone's hotspot.

• Helpful
Try setting up a new WiFI connection in the car, and see what networks it can see. Your car will not connect to the "new" 5Ghz WiFi networks that are common now. The car should connect to a WiFI network it can see with the correct password. Don't use an existing network connection in the car.
Or, you can connect it to your phone using your phone's hotspot.
That car is 30 miles from home with 0 on the battery gauge. Surprised the screens even come on. Will try the phone hotspot if I can figure out how it works.

Reactions: DerbyDave
1. It’s possible the car has free unlimited supercharging being a 2013.

2. The power the charging station is rate does NOT equal the rate your car is capable of charging at. The charging rate your car will pull depends on a variety of factors including battery temperature, charge level, batteyyy size, battery age. The original model S was capable of max 120kW charging only so you will never see more than that even if the charger can do up to 250kW

OK, so 120 kW max. But why only 34 kW here? Even with 25% battery degradation, that should be 90 kW, no?
Charging slows as the battery gets more full.

You will likely never see 120kw on a 2013 S60. Max these days is probably like ~90kw and that’s with a fully warm battery and under 20% state of charge.

Charge speed is highly dependent on battery temp and state of charge. 34kw indicates a relatively cold battery and higher state of charge.