Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to purchase Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have FSD?

I have a 2018 Model 3 with AP but no FSD that came with homelink. There are no controls on the app for opening the garage.
I just ordered a Y and 100% will get homelink installed. It’s always been awesome and works flawlessly. Every time I come up the driveway I smile that the garage door opens automatically....and I have 35k miles.

..it's kind of like coming home and there is a G&T just sitting there already made and cold with a lime.

It is all very strange. My 2011 Roadster had Homelink already installed. There was no service call. I have a gate at the bottom of the hill I live on and a garage. I read the directions and programed both to work with the car. No service call.

I have a Model Y on order. I am happy to pay for Homelink, but why can't I do so in advance, have it installed on the car when I pick it up, and program my gate and garage like I have done before?

Out of curiosity, I wonder what percentage of newer Tesla owners use Homelink? If it is a small percentage, perhaps is is wise for Tesla to sell it separately.

I have many friends who are original Roadster owners and ALL of them use their Homelink! Time have changed.......

It is all very strange. My 2011 Roadster had Homelink already installed. There was no service call. I have a gate at the bottom of the hill I live on and a garage. I read the directions and programed both to work with the car. No service call.

I have a Model Y on order. I am happy to pay for Homelink, but why can't I do so in advance, have it installed on the car when I pick it up, and program my gate and garage like I have done before?

Out of curiosity, I wonder what percentage of newer Tesla owners use Homelink? If it is a small percentage, perhaps is is wise for Tesla to sell it separately.

I have many friends who are original Roadster owners and ALL of them use their Homelink! Time have changed.......
Tough comparison as I suspect the Roadster cost 4x what a model Y cost and kind of doubt many would be street parking a roadster but I could be wrong. In my view I appreciate that they omit costs that are not Needed so everyone doesn’t have to subsidize the purchase for others. Takes just a minute to order and they do it at your house. Not all that inconvenient in my view.

I'm not complaining about the cost--just the hassle!
The reason as explained to me since I also had the Homelink box ready for install right before I took delivery but...installation of aftermarket parts until 7 day rescission period ended. I guess Tesla didn't want to have to remove the Homelink box if the car was returned. BTW, I think Homelink is a great product - I have one garage door and two gates programmed...and the geofence feature is great. Also, you'll still get a chance to program the box - all the tech does is install, the programming is left up to you.