Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Not Available for 2023 Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In April 2023, a family member took delivery of a Model Y LR. When he attempted to place an order on the app for the Homelink, he was advised the Homelink was not available for his Model Y. According to him, service also confirmed the homelink module being sold on the online store is not compatible with his Model Y.

On the app, it gives two options: (1) "Model Y and 2017-2022 Model 3" and (2) "2023+ Model 3." The way the product is listed makes it seem like the homelink # 1 will work with Model Y vehicles of all model years, but will only work with 2017-2022 Model 3 vehicles. Perhaps this was just worded incorrectly?

In any event, hoping others here have more insight on homelink compatibility/availability for 2023 Model Y's.

Thank you!

• Informative
Reactions: Tha_Ape
I ordered and had installed the Homelink option the day we took delivery of a 2023 MY LR. I don't recall there being more than one option but it wasn't an issue that I'm aware of and we now have functional Homelink, same as our other Model S cars.
I would like the homelink also. I don't have a VIN yet, and I get the same "you don't have a compatible vehicle". Wondering if I will be able to order for install like you did once I receive the VIN. Hope so, and I don't have a MyQ compatible door, and don't want to pay a monthly fee to open it . . .

I would like the homelink also. I don't have a VIN yet, and I get the same "you don't have a compatible vehicle". Wondering if I will be able to order for install like you did once I receive the VIN. Hope so, and I don't have a MyQ compatible door, and don't want to pay a monthly fee to open it . . .
Not sure on once you receive the VIN but once we took delivery I simply opened the app, went to upgrades, selected Homelink and scheduled my appointment. A week and $350 later we had a tech my wife's work installing it. When she got home I programmed the openers just like I have my other Teslas. Couldn't be any easier.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I was planning to add HomeLink to my MY, but when I looked into it I found that the MY Q option was less expensive and more functional. I needed an MY-Q adapter ($30) from Amazon, which took less than 1/2 hour to install and set up. (my garage door opener (Liftmaster 15 years old) supported My-Q. It works great, allowing you to check the open/closed status remotely using your smartphone. It does have a $30/year fee but it is worth it for me. Because the MY-Q knows the status of your door (open/closed) you don't have to worry that an open door will close when you drive up to your garage.

Not sure on once you receive the VIN but once we took delivery I simply opened the app, went to upgrades, selected Homelink and scheduled my appointment. A week and $350 later we had a tech my wife's work installing it. When she got home I programmed the openers just like I have my other Teslas. Couldn't be any easier.
Yeah, issue is I'd like to try to get it available and installed when we pick it up. We live 4 hours from dealership . . . . Thanks for the info! Just glad to know it's something still available for the 2023 MY . . .

I was planning to add HomeLink to my MY, but when I looked into it I found that the MY Q option was less expensive and more functional. I needed an MY-Q adapter ($30) from Amazon, which took less than 1/2 hour to install and set up. (my garage door opener (Liftmaster 15 years old) supported My-Q. It works great, allowing you to check the open/closed status remotely using your smartphone. It does have a $30/year fee but it is worth it for me. Because the MY-Q knows the status of your door (open/closed) you don't have to worry that an open door will close when you drive up to your garage.
Yeah, mine doesn't support it, and I already have home automation that tells me when the doors open, etc . . . Homelink is what I've had in every car I've bought for the last 20 years it seems like. Thanks for the help!

Yeah, issue is I'd like to try to get it available and installed when we pick it up. We live 4 hours from dealership . . . . Thanks for the info! Just glad to know it's something still available for the 2023 MY . . .

Lots of people have tried this in the past (and frankly its something that Tesla SHOULD offer built into the ordering process if they want to charge for it) but I dont think you will have any luck whatsoever getting it "installed when I pick up my car".

It is normally installed by mobile service, however, so even though you are 4 hours from a tesla service center, you may still be inside mobile service area (I would guess you are covered by mobile service actually).

So, you will likely be beating your head against the ground trying to work out how to get it installed on delivery cause thats not something Tesla normally does, and they dont do "exception" well at all (by design I think, but nevertheless, they dont do "exception" well).

Just plan on not ordering it until you actually take delivery of your car, and putting in a service request to have it installed via mobile service (purchasing it comes with installation charge already included).

If it wasnt compatible with 2023 Model Ys, I think we would have multiple threads blowing up about it, and I havent seen that.

Lots of people have tried this in the past (and frankly its something that Tesla SHOULD offer built into the ordering process if they want to charge for it) but I dont think you will have any luck whatsoever getting it "installed when I pick up my car".

It is normally installed by mobile service, however, so even though you are 4 hours from a tesla service center, you may still be inside mobile service area (I would guess you are covered by mobile service actually).

So, you will likely be beating your head against the ground trying to work out how to get it installed on delivery cause thats not something Tesla normally does, and they dont do "exception" well at all (by design I think, but nevertheless, they dont do "exception" well).

Just plan on not ordering it until you actually take delivery of your car, and putting in a service request to have it installed via mobile service (purchasing it comes with installation charge already included).

If it wasnt compatible with 2023 Model Ys, I think we would have multiple threads blowing up about it, and I havent seen that.
Ahh. Ok. Didn’t know all that. First time buying a Tesla. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Ahh. Ok. Didn’t know all that. First time buying a Tesla. Thanks for the advice.

No problem, Congratulations btw.

Its definitely different. Its less like ordering a car, and more like ordering toilet paper on Amazon or something (lol). You order via the web, Tesla goes dark, they dont really contact you until you have a Vin assigned to your account, they reach out after you get a vin and basically Tell you "you will pick up sometime in this 7 day period" and you go get it.

They dont even allow you to do things you would at another dealership, like "dealer installed options" or "hey can you hold this for a couple weeks since I will be on vacation" or "hey I know I need to buy homelink, but can you install it for me when I pick up so that I am good to go?"

Although the MyQ is pretty great and safe… be careful with putting your trust in the open/closed state. I’ve had MyQ in my Tesla get the state confused and close an already open garage and vice versa. Also, my MyQ in the Tesla sometimes doesn’t work without the 10 beep/flash delay, but usually it opens/closes without delay. It’s not perfect but it’s a decent alternative to Homelink. Just be careful with trusting that tilt sensor/app. It can (and will) mess up one day.

I ordered and had the homelink module installed on my '23 MYLR on 4/24. Just a point of reference, but it definitely works. It was done by mobile service.
@davemc - thank you for letting me know. My dad took delivery either 4/15 or 4/22. He brought his car into a service center this morning to address a number of fit and finish issues, and the service advisor(s) apparently confirmed homelink was not compatible with his car. I'm not sure what gives.

@jjrandorin - I agree. I also looked for threads here, and on reddit, to see if this was a known issue. Since I was not finding any posts on the issue, I thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone else was experiencing the issue, or if anyone had more insight as to what might be going on.

@davemc - thank you for letting me know. My dad took delivery either 4/15 or 4/22. He brought his car into a service center this morning to address a number of fit and finish issues, and the service advisor(s) apparently confirmed homelink was not compatible with his car. I'm not sure what gives.

@jjrandorin - I agree. I also looked for threads here, and on reddit, to see if this was a known issue. Since I was not finding any posts on the issue, I thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone else was experiencing the issue, or if anyone had more insight as to what might be going on.

Its not super unusual for a Tesla person to tell an owner something incorrect, but this would be a new low. Any chance there is some telephone game going on here? For example, if your father asked "hey is homelink available for you to install for me here?" the answer would be "no" because you have to order it online and get it shipped to you.

That could very easily get translated to you as "they told me they couldnt install homelink on my car" and you translating that as "its not compatible". I mean, I dont know as I was not there, but since I have either worked in, or managed people who provide customer service roles my entire working career (and I am in my late 50s) its VERY common for something to get "telephone gamed" like that.

Its not super unusual for a Tesla person to tell an owner something incorrect, but this would be a new low. Any chance there is some telephone game going on here? For example, if your father asked "hey is homelink available for you to install for me here?" the answer would be "no" because you have to order it online and get it shipped to you.

That could very easily get translated to you as "they told me they couldnt install homelink on my car" and you translating that as "its not compatible". I mean, I dont know as I was not there, but since I have either worked in, or managed people who provide customer service roles my entire working career (and I am in my late 50s) its VERY common for something to get "telephone gamed" like that.
I do not believe any telephone games went on, but I wasn’t present for either situation, so I am just going off what my dad told me.

My dad tried purchasing the homelink on the app, and received a warning that the item was not compatible with his car. He figured he had a service center appointment anyway, so he just waited until today to ask in-person. At today’s appointment, he let the advisor know he wanted the homelink for his vehicle, but was told it wasn’t compatible with his model y.

Something seems off about this whole situation, so I wonder if the service advisor was simply mistaken, if my dad didn’t communicate this issue clearly with the service advisor, or if there truly is some compatibility issue with his particular model y.

I’ll continue working with my dad to try to figure this out. If I am able to, I may even stop by the service center to inquire in-person.

I purchased my homelink module brand new for my 2023 MYLR built in Austin on 12/22 a couple months ago from ebay. It came with the mounting bracket. I installed it myself and saved money over paying Tesla. Was fairly straightforward. I'm glad I have it as I use it to open the gates for my gated community in addition to the garage door. It's nice that it's gps linked so my gates now open automagically

Reactions: ag21, KBF and JLOC
In April 2023, a family member took delivery of a Model Y LR. When he attempted to place an order on the app for the Homelink, he was advised the Homelink was not available for his Model Y. According to him, service also confirmed the homelink module being sold on the online store is not compatible with his Model Y.

On the app, it gives two options: (1) "Model Y and 2017-2022 Model 3" and (2) "2023+ Model 3." The way the product is listed makes it seem like the homelink # 1 will work with Model Y vehicles of all model years, but will only work with 2017-2022 Model 3 vehicles. Perhaps this was just worded incorrectly?

In any event, hoping others here have more insight on homelink compatibility/availability for 2023 Model Y's.

Thank you!
I got my MYP on May 1st. I followed the website directions. I took the app options as any year Model Y and the Model 3 years 2017 to 2022. I selected the local service center for install, made the appointment and then the next day got a message that my appointment was moved to mobile service install this Friday, April 5th. I'll update once installed. I have to say the way they have you do it now is a bit confusing. My credit card kept being declined when I picked the nearest service center (was actually a Tesla collision center). Once I picked the next nearest actual service center the purchase went through.

I got my MYP on May 1st. I followed the website directions. I took the app options as any year Model Y and the Model 3 years 2017 to 2022. I selected the local service center for install, made the appointment and then the next day got a message that my appointment was moved to mobile service install this Friday, April 5th. I'll update once installed. I have to say the way they have you do it now is a bit confusing. My credit card kept being declined when I picked the nearest service center (was actually a Tesla collision center). Once I picked the next nearest actual service center the purchase went through.
Thank you for sharing your own experience. When you selected Model Y and 2017-2022 Model 3, did you get a warning that the product was incompatible with your vehicle?

In any event, please let us know after your 5/5 appointment, so I can let my dad know.

Reactions: retbesla