Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Not Available for 2023 Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question, related to this thread. Once I had possession of the car (but not before) it allowed me to order the part. However, it only shows shipping to the SC about 120 miles from my house. I'd rather not drive 4 hours round trip for this upgrade, so I'm wondering if anyone has advice on how to schedule mobile installation instead of at the SC. I have gotten all the way to the "place order" stage in the app but haven't finished yet because I don't want to get stuck spending 350 on something I would have to cancel if they won't install it here.

(probably the answer is to call them, which I will likely end up doing on Monday)

May be you fixed the bolt the other way. The correct way is the head of the bolt is behind the bumper cover. You can put the head of the bolt from the tub side but it's not correct direction
Yes, I put it so head of the bolt is towards the back of the car, if you put the bolt so the head is in the front, you have to put the Homelink module in front of the clip then? I just put it in the back and see no issues.

(Front of the car) - Mointing clip - Homelink module - bolt head (back of the car)

Last edited:
Yes, I put it so head of the bolt is towards the back of the car, if you put the bolt so the head is in the front, you have to put the Homelink module in front of the clip then? I just put it in the back and see no issues.

(Front of the car) - Mointing clip - Homelink module - bolt head (back of the car)
I watched YouTube video and also that guy used Tesla shop manual to fix the module to the car. So I followed him

Updated.

Although I still can't directly select/order the module from the Tesla App, I've found the alternative to make this work in my case.

I first opened the Tesla shop via the browser from my laptop, then scan the QR code via the smartphone and open the item from Tesla App. All of sudden this allows me to choose and add to my cart and get it ordered.

The only downside is that it pointed me to get it installed in the Service Center and the schedule is 4-weeks from today. I'm messaging to Tesla to see if this can be done by scheduling the mobile visit to my address and moving up my schedule.
That worked great!

You can make a service request and specify that you want a HomeLink retrofit. They add the part for the car to the invoice you requested and schedule the service. That's how I did it.

Got it installed yesterday, actually. Very quick install in my garage (it was cold/windy outside). Technician helped me program one remote, but told me that they aren't technically supposed to do that.

Purchased Homelink kit off eBay for $180, showed up at my house two days later. Only needed 3 tools to install: a 10 mm socket wrench (for the 4 frunk liner bolts), a10 mm ratchet wrench (for the Homelink module bolt) and a medium size flat screwdriver. Following the YouTube videos and being sure to install the bracket bolt from the front, only took 20 minutes to install the module and button it all back up. Very easy mechanical install. Contrary to the YouTube videos, the cable to attach to the Homelink module was not taped to the wiring harness on my y, but was instead buried behind the left front inner fender (took a little searching).

Went into the software service low voltage menu and told the system to do the retrofit Homelink install. After reboot, the software service low voltage menu showed the Homelink as installed and ran the self test with no problems.

However, no Homelink icon appeared on my main screen (like it did on my model x) so it took me a few minutes and a couple 2 button steering wheel reboots before I finally figured out that Homelink is buried on the controls screen under the home-shaped icon at the top right. Once I pressed the home-shaped icon, I was able to add each of my 3 remotes successfully.

On my previous model x I was not careful to pull the car right in front of each gate before programming Homelink, so the x was never quite right about highlighting each gate as I pulled down our long driveway. This time, on the y, I made sure to program each Homelink with the car parked right at each gate. Now when I drive down the driveway, the y makes a good guess which Homelink to highlight as I approach each gate. Very nice.

So for 20 minutes of hardware install, about 30 minutes of installing the software from the service menu, and another 45 minutes messing around learning each Homelink opener, I saved $170, learned a little more about my December 2023 Model Y, and got Homelink running for my three openers.

Last edited: