Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to reduce road/wind noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any tips here? Seems like several kits on amazon but not sure if anything works. We tried a rubber thing that went around the top roof glass but it came loose on the interstate and didn't even notice a difference when in.

I could rip the car down and put down some CCF and MLV but wife doesn't want me to rip the car apart.

For road noise, I always recommend starting with a wheel alignment. Make sure the alignment has the toe as close to zero as possible front and rear. My car came with way too much toe, and it was amazing how much quieter it became when I adjusted the toe. That tire noise was not only annoying, but it was the sound of my expensive tires being prematurely rubbed away.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tres_Azul
Any tips here? Seems like several kits on amazon but not sure if anything works. We tried a rubber thing that went around the top roof glass but it came loose on the interstate and didn't even notice a difference when in.

I could rip the car down and put down some CCF and MLV but wife doesn't want me to rip the car apart.
Unfortunately you’ll have to rip the car apart. You could try sound deadening materials on the floor and in the doors (dynamat or foam).
And if you can get ahold of the new dual pane windows, that may also help.

Reducing wind noise is going to be the most difficult. Start taping up the door and window seals and see where the leaks are. Unfortunately you are dealing with a Tesla so seals, gaps, and alignment issues are likely to be prevalent.

Reactions: EV Promoter
I'm getting a 2021 LR, so i'm less worried for the wind resistance.

But watching some video about removal of the side markers, i've noticed a possible available volume for sound deadening stuff behind the plastic cover of the wheelarch.

I guess a good part of road noise comes from that area, what you think of putting some s.d. material there?
Anybody aware if that has been already tested?

Yes, RPM Tesla did it...

And everyone that has tried those liners and reported back say they did nothing for the noise. Plus RPM Tesla did nothing in this case but sell what other companies made as their own product. You can buy these liners much cheaper and with better service from ebay. RPM Tesla is horrible at customer service and often takes months to delivery products.

Yes, RPM Tesla did it...

I installed front wheel well liners last year for $82 from eBay. Same product as what RPMTesla is selling. I'm glad I did it, but honestly, I can't tell if there's any difference in sound, as all the improvements I've done are minimal. In aggregate, everything adds up to a difference, but I couldn't tell you what changes made the most difference.

I did, almost, the whole car on sound deadening, including quiet tires, wheel wells, dash, pillars, doors, floor, door insulation kits, large elastic band surrounding the sunroof. The only areas you will find noticeable difference are the dash, doors, and pillars. Proper sound deadening material to the wheel wells works much better than those lining, but it is just not worth it.

The wind noise from A pillar can be disappeared but it might requires you to adjust the windows angle and apply some sealing.

I did, almost, the whole car on sound deadening, including quiet tires, wheel wells, dash, pillars, doors, floor, door insulation kits, large elastic band surrounding the sunroof. The only areas you will find noticeable difference are the dash, doors, and pillars. Proper sound deadening material to the wheel wells works much better than those lining, but it is just not worth it.

The wind noise from A pillar can be disappeared but it might requires you to adjust the windows angle and apply some sealing.

But no wheel alignment check? The factory is pumping out lots of cars with bad alignments. Heck if they can’t get the windows and panels aligned properly that everyone can see, what makes you think they’ll get the wheel alignment right that no one can see? And just because it drives straight doesn’t mean anything as to whether or not the total toe is correct on the front or rear.

Reactions: EV Promoter
Hello! I find myself having to crank up my podcast volume really loud because the car does not isolate road and wind noise really well on hwy driving. Is there a good DIY recommend to sound proof model3? Thanks!

(moderator note: moved this post which was created as a new thread into a recent existing discussion on this topic)

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest impact for wind noise reduction for me was rubber tubing in the fender/A-pillar gap.
Hey, can you post a link with the product you used? And if possible, post a picture to see what it is? I can't visualize what you did. I was thinking of 'siliconing' the gaps between glass pieces and from glass to roof pillars. The super thin piece of rubber looks super crappy, and I'm sure the noise I'm hearing starting above 50 mph is more from the roof glass/rail area than the top of the front windows, but of course could be wrong. We'll go on our first long trip Thursday, so we'll see how good or bad the car is. But having the wind noise in your freaking left ear might get old; we'll see.

Hey, can you post a link with the product you used? And if possible, post a picture to see what it is? I can't visualize what you did. I was thinking of 'siliconing' the gaps between glass pieces and from glass to roof pillars. The super thin piece of rubber looks super crappy, and I'm sure the noise I'm hearing starting above 50 mph is more from the roof glass/rail area than the top of the front windows, but of course could be wrong. We'll go on our first long trip Thursday, so we'll see how good or bad the car is. But having the wind noise in your freaking left ear might get old; we'll see.
I used small black rubber tubing from a roof glass seal kit. Amazon I believe. Other have used dense foam/sponge material.

Hey, do you have a picture of that on your car? How is it holding up? I was looking for something to fill the gap, not going over the glass and door. But will keep an open mind until I see some pics :). Thanks man.

Here’s a couple pics

Attachments

• 14F027F0-D7FD-42EB-A143-80317893CA7E.jpeg
    14F027F0-D7FD-42EB-A143-80317893CA7E.jpeg
    408 KB · Views: 564
  • 5FE7F029-9C97-4CB0-965B-4E9EF7DFC6E7.jpeg
    5FE7F029-9C97-4CB0-965B-4E9EF7DFC6E7.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 239