Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to reduce road/wind noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best bet is finding quieter tires.
None of the OEM tires are that quiet.

I stuffed the Frunk with blankets and pillows.
Completely reversible :D

Also put 3D MaxPider mats on top of factor mats.

Factory SunShade (above your head) helps a little bit. I’ve heard people go a lot further to save on heat loss. which helps on noise.

Rear window deck is another source but varies with build date. There are kits on eBay to insulate from the the trunk. It might impact HVAC ventilation though.

• Love
Reactions: Dayreg
Here’s a couple pics
Thanks brother. It doesn't look pretty, but not bad either. I'd probably cut the strip where the middle and rear glass meet, since it probably wasn't long enough to go all the way down where the rear glass ends. And that extra inch into the rear glass immediately jumps at you. Ha ha. By the way, did you glue the strips on place, and with what? Thanks again for your help.

Best bet is finding quieter tires. Factory SunShade (above your head) helps a little bit.
The stock tires are not the best indeed, but the prevalent noise in most road surfaces is wind noise, at least in our 2021. Read that Tesla apparently added sound insulation to the rear wheel area; maybe it's true, since road noise is not horrible. As far as the sunshades, I wanted to order them immediately, but turns out 2021 cars have a narrower headliner, and they don't fit properly, so I'm waiting on a suitable alternative. In fact, I'm leaning towards a more radical solution, like what Heatshield offers (but I'm not going to buy from them). It doesn't fit good, but it's the same material from the windshield sunshield, so it allows zero sun/heat thru, and you can remove it in winter. But want something that fits great, since it'll be permanent for several months (if not for life). Any suggestions from 2021 owners welcome :). Thank you.

Reactions: Jejunjm
Thanks brother. It doesn't look pretty, but not bad either. I'd probably cut the strip where the middle and rear glass meet, since it probably wasn't long enough to go all the way down where the rear glass ends. And that extra inch into the rear glass immediately jumps at you. Ha ha. By the way, did you glue the strips on place, and with what? Thanks again for your help.

The stock tires are not the best indeed, but the prevalent noise in most road surfaces is wind noise, at least in our 2021. Read that Tesla apparently added sound insulation to the rear wheel area; maybe it's true, since road noise is not horrible. As far as the sunshades, I wanted to order them immediately, but turns out 2021 cars have a narrower headliner, and they don't fit properly, so I'm waiting on a suitable alternative. In fact, I'm leaning towards a more radical solution, like what Heatshield offers (but I'm not going to buy from them). It doesn't fit good, but it's the same material from the windshield sunshield, so it allows zero sun/heat thru, and you can remove it in winter. But want something that fits great, since it'll be permanent for several months (if not for life). Any suggestions from 2021 owners welcome :). Thank you.

Some roads are fine and when they are, wind is probably next. But of some roads the tire noise is worst by far.
Maybe you have better roads.

That's really interesting the 2021 changed the headliner width. You'd think if it was that radical a change they would address more of the noise entering the cabin. Why they don't do active noise cancelation is beyond me. Wind might be harder. Lower frequencies are easier to process.

The strips have 3M adhesive tape attached. Haven't had any issues.

I find model 3 sound proofing is very poor against wind noise esp when I drive over 80 mph on the highway. I like to listen to podcast on highway and i always have to crank up podcast volume to over power wind noise. But sometimes my ear hurts when podcast is cranked up too high. Anyone had this problem, and what is the most effective way to sound proof model 3 against wind noise?

thank you.

Reactions: house9 and XPsionic
As mentioned in previous posts, stuffing a black rubber tube in between the windshield and pillar will diminish the air flowing thru that channel, but it wasn’t until recently when I installed the Ikon Motorsports front lip, somehow the lip is changing the airflow around the front and side of the car to the point that the wind noise right next to your ear is completely eliminated. Instead you can hear the wind being deflected off the front/top of the windshield. Typically the wind noise amplified as the speed exceeded 55mph, but even 80+ mph, no more turbulent wind noise! One thing I did notice was that weeks after I installed the lip, while driving down the 5 freeway, 50% of the rubber tubing popped out/forced out and was flapping in the wind. For more than two years I didn’t have to adjust the rubber tubing after installing it. This also reinforces my hunch that the trailing turbulent air has been redirected.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
As mentioned in previous posts, stuffing a black rubber tube in between the windshield and pillar will diminish the air flowing thru that channel, but it wasn’t until recently when I installed the Ikon Motorsports front lip, somehow the lip is changing the airflow around the front and side of the car to the point that the wind noise right next to your ear is completely eliminated. Instead you can hear the wind being deflected off the front/top of the windshield. Typically the wind noise amplified as the speed exceeded 55mph, but even 80+ mph, no more turbulent wind noise! One thing I did notice was that weeks after I installed the lip, while driving down the 5 freeway, 50% of the rubber tubing popped out/forced out and was flapping in the wind. For more than two years I didn’t have to adjust the rubber tubing after installing it. This also reinforces my hunch that the trailing turbulent air has been redirected.
How's the efficiency with the Ikon lip?

Here’s a couple pics
I bought it, and installed it the other day. Seems to help, but I didn't do any scientific testing. Should have gotten 2 packages, as a single package is just 16'. 2 packages would allow a cleaner install. I should clean the rest of the roof!
IMG_0174.jpeg