Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOW TO: Replace Headlights in Refresh (2016+) Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no leveling mechanism in the european version.

Leveling mechanisms (and headlamp washers) are mandatory in Europe when headlamps emit more than 2000 lumens (a xenon of 35W, for example).

The turnaround used by Tesla is to lower the headlight power in Europe (xenon of 25W on the prefacelift models, reduced power on LED headlights).

European headlights are as simple as US ones, they just emit less light :-(. But yes, they do have a different reference.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dzsink and Krash
Someone has found a way to disable the signature light in here ...

Hi. I have a question. Just bought a RH side headlight (as you look at the front of the car), which is the passenger side in the UK. I have ordered it from a US supplier on ebay, but its just occurred to me whether the actual beam will now be facing the wrong way. Are the beams handed, or adjustable, or am I worrying unduly?
thanks

Have you ever consider doing this and save the thousands of dollars?

Hi, thanks very much for the video and sharing this great idea. Just to be certain, the cable to be disconnected is the top right one which I have pointed at in the attached image?

Attachments

• 1493-headlight_disconect_cable_top_dlr.JPG
    1493-headlight_disconect_cable_top_dlr.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 118
Need some help if this has happened to anyone. The Drivers side headlight (US Car with Driver side on the left side when sitting in it) started having an issue with the high beam staying on. Then is stopped but then the low beam stopped working and only the Daytime Running Light stayed lit. Both lights were replaced in 2021 with Version F. I bought a version G this past Friday and installed it, but it doesn't light up at all. I tested it when it was just plugged in and not fully mounted and thought maybe it needed to be fully mounted for it to work. My thinking was one of the connections was a ground. I had also plugged in the original F version and the same thing, nothing lights up at all. Before this, the DRL worked... I continued with the install and fully assembled everything back together and the Drivers side is totally dark. No DRL, no high or low beam. I've disconnected the connector to double check its seated properly, but nothing looks out of place. I pushed it a little extra hard to confirm its fully seated, still no luck.

Any suggestions on what to check next? Last resort is to put the old one back in to see if that works and the new one is a dud, the guy that sold it to me said he'd be happy to plug it in to confirm it works..
I've read a number of articles and videos and everyone makes it seem like it is a simple plug and play swap, but its not for me.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
help!

Do you need a software redeploy after moving up to done revisions? Can you mix and match revisions or do they have to match?
Everything I've read online shows that people are replacing different models versions, mixing and matching. The other issue is that I unplugged the G version and plugged the F version and it also doesn't light up at all. As of right now, the Left side light that I've been working on doesn't light up at all, no DRL, no turn signal, no headlights... nothing.

Do you need a software redeploy after moving up to done revisions? Can you mix and match revisions or do they have to match?
I also have mismatched headlights with the Driver side Revision G and the Passenger side the original from 2016. It was all plug and play. No update or configuring needed. Is there possibly a blown fuse for the headlight?

Everything I've read online shows that people are replacing different models versions, mixing and matching. The other issue is that I unplugged the G version and plugged the F version and it also doesn't light up at all. As of right now, the Left side light that I've been working on doesn't light up at all, no DRL, no turn signal, no headlights... nothing.
As an update, I stopped by a local mod shop and they tried to help and suggested I do a Software Reinstall by going through the Service Menu. I tried it twice with no luck. Still searching for a way to get the light to work.
In other news, the turn signal for the left side, (same side as the non working headlight, stopped working. I makes one click noise and the stops. The front blinker of course doesn't light up, the back blinker light flashes faster than normal.