Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to replace the shell on your fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My key fob was starting to look a bit shabby so I picked up a referb kit from my local service center. The part number is 1032984-00-C and they are only $10. The only tool you will need is a small flat blade screwdriver.

IMG_3574.JPG

The kit contains all the plastic pieces for the fob in a nice little box.

IMG_3575.JPG

Here are all the parts all laid out.

IMG_3576.JPG

Now on to the fun part. First remove the battery door and the battery.

IMG_3577.JPG

Next, pop the sides off the fob. This can be done with a small screwdriver starting at the front edge.

IMG_3578.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

Once both sides are removed, you can then lift the tabs that hold the top and bottom of the shell together.

IMG_3582.JPG

With the top and bottom separated, you can then finish the work needed on the bottom shell.

IMG_3583.JPG

You will need to remove the metal battery contact from the bottom shell.

IMG_3596.JPG

Using your small screwdriver, carefully pop the battery contact out of the old shell.

IMG_3597.JPG

Back to the upper shell. Lift out the circuit board and clean any fuzz or dirt that may have accumulated. You do not need to reuse any of the upper shell plastic parts.

IMG_3584.JPG

From your new shell kit, take out the button retainer and the buttons. The short button goes in the front, the tall button goes in the middle, and the medium sized button goes in the back. The buttons are keyed so they will only fit in one way and only fit in their respective holes.

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_3586.JPG

The button assembly drops into the upper shell and the circuit board sits on top of that.

IMG_3587.JPG

IMG_3588.JPG

Press the battery clip that you removed from the old lower shell on to the peg on the new lower shell.

IMG_3598.JPG

Now you can snap the new lower shell on to the assembled upper shell/circuit board.

IMG_3589.JPG

Now would be a good time to remove the protective plastic. Snap one of the side pieces on. The top of the side goes on first and the bottom snaps in place.

IMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

And then repeat on the other side.

IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3593.JPG

Now put the battery back in and then the battery door.

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3595.JPG

Your fob now should look as good as new now!

...surprised that you got charged...when my shells fail (usually where the small slot is for the string/ring to attach to your keys), I get my service center to comp me the kit.
Mine was just beat up, not actually broken. I actually got two of them but I mention that one of the fobs sometimes has range issues and they completely replace that one so now I have a spare for later on.

Thanks for the write up, it was very helpful. I was able to change out both of my key fobs that looked like they had been run over by a semi truck. Bought my car “CPO” and that’s how they gave it to me. The price however - from the Las Vegas SC was a whopping $85 for the two with tax. I already had my credit card out expecting to pay $10 each and my jaw dropped when they told me what the total was. They even tried to upsell me labor to install them but I politely declined as I had this thread saved.

• Informative
Reactions: jthompson