Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to stop using home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M1tch

2021 M3P with EAP
Nov 16, 2021
Gloucester, England
Random question and it’s not happened yet, but what is to stop someone parking up on my drive (while I’m away) and taking a full charge at my expense? The charger isn’t on full display and I guess you’d have to know it’s there / see me charging, but shy of killing the trip switch when I’m away for weeks / months at a time, is there anything I can do?

Random question and it’s not happened yet, but what is to stop someone parking up on my drive (while I’m away) and taking a full charge at my expense? The charger isn’t on full display and I guess you’d have to know it’s there / see me charging, but shy of killing the trip switch when I’m away for weeks / months at a time, is there anything I can do?
If you are away, put a scheduled timer for 7 days a week (if your charger allows - podpoint allows) for 5 minutes or less than that - the charger will be active only during that time unless you change it in the app. Not sure whether there are any manual over riding functions in other chargers. But if yours is podpoint or something similar you can set the timer function and they can charge only for that few minutes! so hopefully they will be fed up and go!

Reactions: NewbieT
My EO charger has a schedule, which I set for the Octopus Go cheap hours. Plugging in outside those hours will achieve nothing. If I was really bothered I could make that period a minute long I guess. What Charge Point do you have?

Reactions: Marvin03
Couple of options as noted above (though all depends on whether this is an existing setup, or thinking about a new one for anyone
1. Main Fuse Board 'disable' the RCBO/fuse switch for your EV charge point when you're away
2. Internal rocker switch fitted on the 'internal wall' where your charge point wiring comes into your home on the way to your fuse board
3. Software lock 'enable/disable' via your respective charge point unit
4. Hardware lock on the port of your respective charge point unit
5. Excavate a moat around your home, populated by crocodiles, with a draw bridge mechanism to provide access to your drive (assuming Home Link compatibility in your Tesla available to be fitted).

some chargers have pin codes or locks but I’ve found that more annoying as a block for my own ease of use so I don’t bother. The zappi is set to charge during off peak but if someone parks up, connects their car,Google’s the charger and reads the instrcutions, they can probably switch using the front panel to charge immediately,

just seems very unlikely. people nick electirc from peoples external3 pin plugs,or water from their outdoor taps?

some chargers have pin codes or locks but I’ve found that more annoying as a block for my own ease of use so I don’t bother. The zappi is set to charge during off peak but if someone parks up, connects their car,Google’s the charger and reads the instrcutions, they can probably switch using the front panel to charge immediately,

just seems very unlikely. people nick electirc from peoples external3 pin plugs,or water from their outdoor taps?
there's 5 teslas and two other EVs in our neighborghood + couple of plug-in hybrids.

all them might be able to use our charger, although I imagine how awkward that would be if I return home and see someone using it :D