Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to take off the Aero Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that it will not be a problem in most places. But there are places where everything can be stolen from time to time, sometimes it's the wheel caps, others the radio antennas, other times it's the wheel nut lugs, tire valve caps, you name it. I was just interested in a solution to safely secure the caps so they won't be stolen.

My primary idea would be to keep them in the frunk/trunk and only use them for longer trips.

As someone who has a 2012 Toyota Prius sporting the sweet black wheels because somebody stole my hub caps earlier this year, this is definitely a concern for me. I'm probably going to take the same approach and leave them off except for long trips.

I think there will be theft when there are lots of Model 3's on the road and people start losing them because they get lost or they curb the rim. Then instead of buying new ones they steal the ones off of someone elses car. I'll be getting the 19s but I am sure those have center caps as well and who knows if there will be demand for those too.

I'm a little surprised at how easily they come off. I'm sure it's fine, but it sure seems like it could come off eventually if you hit a bump at speed or something. And I'm assuming it's a good idea to clean the rim underneath before reattaching in case dirt that's accumulated on the cover (or rim) scratches the rim when those clips go on?

Very nice to have confirmation. Thank you. 100% getting the 18" option now.
Same. I'd be willing to bet many of these will end up being "sold" on ebay.

Would like to know how much they weigh...

I plan on taking them off and keeping them off 99% of the time. If I ever need to make it 300 miles without charging, I will slap them back on along with a 'Hail Mary'.

Would like to know how much they weigh...

I plan on taking them off and keeping them off 99% of the time. If I ever need to make it 300 miles without charging, I will slap them back on along with a 'Hail Mary'.

Maybe the caps are only speed rated at 50 MPH maximum... which would also be a significant factor in getting the rated range "with caps on". ;)