Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow, ice build up on Aero Covers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some recommend keeping the caps so that there's less chance of snow going into the wheels and freezing there. I personally take them off because I prefer the look without and the aero gain isn't worth it for me. Without the caps its's easy to clean the wheels if snow ever goes in.
I would not recommend removing and putting them back on often as this scratches the wheels (clips are metal). Pick one and stick with it, mostly...

Yeah, I tried a season with them on thinking it would be better but, like you noted, the covers just trapped snow inside which caused a great deal of surface corrosion and pitting on the inner wheel and brake in the spring. Haven’t used the covers since (except for long, cross country drives) and there doesn’t seem to be any downside to that choice.

I put the aero covers on when temps drop close to freezing and leave them on until temps no longer drop below freezing regularly; so, mid October to sometime in March. Never had an issue in the 2 winters I've had the car, other than being glad for that extra couple percent of range when temps are in the -30 ballpark when it's windy and the "normal" 65-70% of battery used to get from home to work and back suddenly changes to 90% used...

Reactions: Lance From Jax