Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell if my Model 3 was made in the tent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just purely out of curiosity, I am wondering if there is a way to find out whether my Model 3 was made in the tent or not. Anyone here knows? Thanks.

A driver near the Fremont factory captured this during the end of the quarter. I think it was your 3

PleasedWickedAsianconstablebutterfly-size_restricted.gif

...And I’m pretty sure you won’t be able to find an answer to your question...

I found this in the many reports of tent quality yesterday. I seem like the GA4 code is the thing to look for as @dtowntez suggests.

"'We work hard to create a work environment that is as safe, fair and fun as possible, and it is incredibly important to us that employees look forward to coming to work every day," the company said. "In fact, we have a large number of employees who request to work on GA4 based on what they hear from colleagues and what they have seen first-hand.'"

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
"Vehicles at the NUMMI joint-venture plant in Fremont had lots of defects. Mistakes would go right down the line. So we had Monte Carlos with Regal front ends and vice versa. There were cars with engines put in backwards, cars without steering wheels or brakes. Workers fixed them later in a yard outside — sometimes doing more damage to the vehicles."

Some NUMMI ghosts still roam the halls at Tesla Fremont, it seems.
For me, I'd be less concerned about making cars in tents and more worried about a QC system that does not seem up to the task of catching mistakes, and a sales and service arm not up to the volume of vehicles they're being expected to push out to the customer.
Robin

I found two of the plastic retainers missing (one on each side of front) for the wheel liner. The missing ones were holding the wheel liner right side of the wheel well. The liner was sagging due to air pressure and looked bad. I got mine from O'Reilly Auto Parts. These just insert and push in to lock. No screwdriver necessary. Below is similar to what I used.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...061/1998/toyota/tacoma?q=body+retainer&pos=13

• Helpful
Reactions: alexGS and Dana1
For the record, I don't believe the missing liner clips is thought to be a tent thing. The supposedly official word on that was they decided they weren't necessary, but that might have just been cover I suppose.

New 3s coming with all the clips in place?

First post, we just bought our 2019 model 3, well drove it for a week and AC went out on it! We had 300 miles on it;( had to get it towed to Phoenix ( 100 miles away) , took a week to get the new line that failed. Then still had to go to pick it . So far my opinion is they really need to work on their service after the sale. Still love the car. Very sad picture.E6C33C54-9A30-46A8-B18F-D0C9C718F7E3.jpeg

I found this in the many reports of tent quality yesterday. I seem like the GA4 code is the thing to look for as @dtowntez suggests.

"'We work hard to create a work environment that is as safe, fair and fun as possible, and it is incredibly important to us that employees look forward to coming to work every day," the company said. "In fact, we have a large number of employees who request to work on GA4 based on what they hear from colleagues and what they have seen first-hand.'"
Is that GA4 mean General Assembly 4?

So, 5th new vehicle purchase of my life was a Tesla. Easily my favorite to drive, and I’m not alone in that. The real question should be why can Tesla build a better and more loved car in a tent than anyone else can in a proper factory? The best in 70 years according to Motor Trend.

“Tony Stark was able to built this in a cave...with a box of scraps”
“I’m not Tony Stark.”

Anyone else seeing this play from the mouths of other auto executives at the moment? BMW anyone?